Pics of future 454 purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
yea sounds stupid he must know you want it or know he can get good cash for a core or rebuild or something. if it was me I'd say $100-200 max for motor, trans and rad. if he passes walk away.

Well I dont where you guys live at but the only way to get 35 for aluminum trany is at recycle place. Everybody else sells core transmissions for $100 plus.

Last edited:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
You said he was gonna junk the whole thing at a scrap yard and didn't wanna let go of the trans for loss of weight. That usually means scrap metal, not taking it to an aluminum recycling place. For scrap metal he's only lookin at $30 tops. I wouldn't deal with the sheister.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
You said he was gonna junk the whole thing at a scrap yard and didn't wanna let go of the trans for loss of weight. That usually means scrap metal, not taking it to an aluminum recycling place. For scrap metal he's only lookin at $30 tops. I wouldn't deal with the sheister.

What you think he's gonna get at scrapyard minus engine and trany? This a 3/4 ton burb. He told me doesnt know nothing about fixing autos and he ford guy not chevy.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Like I said, I would let him crush his locked-up big block and burned up TH400. But that's just me.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Like I said, I would let him crush his locked-up big block and burned up TH400. But that's just me.

No problem man. I just have bad habit of taking long term projects and sitting on them. Thats just me I like turning everything into project. Its not challenging for me if its short/simple project. I find things more challenging for me if there long term projects so there's something to show for it when finished and some 30-60min that I'll get bored easy after doing several times.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I would too. He seems more concerned of the mighty dollar than saving any parts form the scrap yard. I'd let him scrap it all. He wants prime dollar for the parts but not willing to pull them? Piss on that dude. :flipthebird: Go Figure, a Ford Lover !!! If I were in desperate need of a Th400 I woudln't pay $100 for a core, and even then, If I am paying over $50 for it, I'm sure not gonna pull it. I just bought a Th400 core for $25. Cash and Carry. Sitting there on the ground, and the guy helped me load it.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
No problem man. I just have bad habit of taking long term projects and sitting on them. Thats just me I like turning everything into project. Its not challenging for me if its short/simple project. I find things more challenging for me if there long term projects so there's something to show for it when finished and some 30-60min that I'll get bored easy after doing several times.

You and me both...

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I would too. He seems more concerned of the mighty dollar than saving any parts form the scrap yard. I'd let him scrap it all. He wants prime dollar for the parts but not willing to pull them? Piss on that dude. :flipthebird: Go Figure, a Ford Lover !!! If I were in desperate need of a Th400 I woudln't pay $100 for a core, and even then, If I am paying over $50 for it, I'm sure not gonna pull it. I just bought a Th400 core for $25. Cash and Carry. Sitting there on the ground, and the guy helped me load it.

Well nice find on th400 for $25 bucks. Stuff like that dont go that cheap around here. I live in the commonwealth state.

Last edited:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Just pass on it man. He knows you want it and that you'll overpay him for what he's got so he's just talkin' crap out the side of his mouth.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I'm gonna buy last weeks valley trader and the new one tomorrow and see whats in there in 454 engine prices.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I honestly don't know why you're stuck on a 454. As far as I'm concerned, they are only good 1 purpose these days. RACING. Otherwise they are nothing less than gas guzzling hogs. I'll bet you your Z71 truck, that for the money you get a 454 for and rebuild it for, I can build a small block for less and whip your 454's ass. I have an OEM 454 in my 84 DD. It drinks gas like no other. Its got 3.21 gears, so I get about 8mpg city, and 12hwy, maybe 13 on the hwy if the wind is behind me. Sure its got some torque but its horsepower actually sucks. You get you a 350, Vortec heads, a mild RV cam, a 600 vacuum secondary carb, headers or gasket ported exhaust manifolds and you'll have all the pep you need and good torque for towing amd probably get 2-3 mpg better than the 454. Have you seen the cost of a 350 rebuild kit vs the 454 rebuild kit? Your biggest expense will be to acquire the Vortec heads and Eddy intake for the Vortec heads. Why spend money on a valve job on OEM peanut port 454 heads when its the same cost as having Vortec heads done? And you can use your 90 350 block that you have now. Its probably a 4 bolt main and will have the 1 piece rear main too. Find some Vortec heads and build what you have. You'll be ahead of the game.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I honestly don't know why you're stuck on a 454. As far as I'm concerned, they are only good 1 purpose these days. RACING. Otherwise they are nothing less than gas guzzling hogs. I'll bet you your Z71 truck, that for the money you get a 454 for and rebuild it for, I can build a small block for less and whip your 454's ass. I have an OEM 454 in my 84 DD. It drinks gas like no other. Its got 3.21 gears, so I get about 8mpg city, and 12hwy, maybe 13 on the hwy if the wind is behind me. Sure its got some torque but its horsepower actually sucks. You get you a 350, Vortec heads, a mild RV cam, a 600 vacuum secondary carb, headers or gasket ported exhaust manifolds and you'll have all the pep you need and good torque for towing amd probably get 2-3 mpg better than the 454. Have you seen the cost of a 350 rebuild kit vs the 454 rebuild kit? Your biggest expense will be to acquire the Vortec heads and Eddy intake for the Vortec heads. Why spend money on a valve job on OEM peanut port 454 heads when its the same cost as having Vortec heads done? And you can use your 90 350 block that you have now. Its probably a 4 bolt main and will have the 1 piece rear main too. Find some Vortec heads and build what you have. You'll be ahead of the game.

I know but I dont know what kinda can of worms I'm getting into with the one in the 90 truck. If you were to look at it up front you would say this motor has really been worked over good. Also I like the saying bigger the engine, bigger the horsepower and bigger the torque is the way to go. Who cares about gas prices.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
:think: I would say you know far more of what you got in that 350 than some locked up 454 in an old Burb but maybe I'm missing something :shrug:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:whymewhyme:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I know but I dont know what kinda can of worms I'm getting into with the one in the 90 truck. If you were to look at it up front you would say this motor has really been worked over good. Also I like the saying bigger the engine, bigger the horsepower and bigger the torque is the way to go. Who cares about gas prices.

If that saying is so true, why are 4.6, 4.8 5.3, 6.0, 3.8 etc motors spanking the hell outta 6.6, 7.4, and 7.5 motors? And getting at least 1 and a half times the fuel economy and lasting longer? The old adage of no replacement for displacment is out the window. There comes a time when technology is a replacement for displacment. Keep in mind, the bigger the motor, the more the friction, the more weight mass to rotate etc, and yes it does make a huge difference. I'd take a well tuned 323 5.3 small block with its current day electronics over a naturally aspirated old school 454 7.4 any day of the week.
You must have lotso money if you're not concerned about gas prices.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrianGarf