Pics of future 454 purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I'm not sure, if you want a 2 barrel carb there may be just an adapter plate needed, but if you want a 4 barrel you'll need a conversion intake for the difference in bolt holes to bolt it to the heads.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I'm not sure, if you want a 2 barrel carb there may be just an adapter plate needed, but if you want a 4 barrel you'll need a conversion intake for the difference in bolt holes to bolt it to the heads.

What about getting around the computer crap?

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
A carb is a carb. Once you're running on it all the other stuff is disabled. You could probably just unplug it all. I'm sure I'm completely wrong on that lol but we'll see what others say. Far as I can tell all the air/fuel mixture and idle is controlled by the carb so all the computer stuff, o2 sensor, IAC, MAF, MAP, TPS, knock sensor, etc wouldn't be needed. Only thing I can think of that would need something would be if you were running coil packs instead of a distributor.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
A carb is a carb. Once you're running on it all the other stuff is disabled. You could probably just unplug it all. I'm sure I'm completely wrong on that lol but we'll see what others say. Far as I can tell all the air/fuel mixture and idle is controlled by the carb so all the computer stuff, o2 sensor, IAC, MAF, MAP, TPS, knock sensor, etc wouldn't be needed. Only thing I can think of that would need something would be if you were running coil packs instead of a distributor.

I think theres computerized 350 Distributor with wires plugged into it now.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, if its 85, its a carbed engine. You'll need to use some a fuel pressure regulator since the TBI pump is about triple the pressure of a carbed pump. The rest is pretty much straight forward, you won't be hooking up most of the TBI harness. You may have to change the hot lead to the dizzy/coil too.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Yes, the overreving is what probably caused the motor to fail, but the reason WHY ITS LOCKED, is most likely due to no oil restriction to keep oil in the pan. The pan ran dry with all the oil on the top end not draining back to the pan fast enough, and high rpm without any oil and overheating, its doesn't take long to seize a motor. And it probably just didn't lock up. The damage was done, then when parked and shut off, the bearings and all cooled down and that was it. It seized as it cooled and the bearings are likely stuck to the crank from chewed up babbit or bearing material. These bearings are not going to be pretty I'll assure you.
THAT'S the kind of explanation I was looking for! :waytogo:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I think theres computerized 350 Distributor with wires plugged into it now.

Yes, its probably any ESC (Electronic Spark Control) computer. I'd just install a convetional HEI dizzy and be done with that too. Go Non ECM all together.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I just emailed the guy about arrangements to the get engine. I also explained that I couldn't pull it where the burb is sitting at with engine hoist and needed a hard paved surface.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Worse case senerio what could I get for this in scrap if I had to end up junking the block and internals cause it was no good? Scrap is 9.50 per 100

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
probably around $75 if you're lucky... or you can buy the whole truck, and at 190/ton (extremely low BTW), you should be VERY easily out nothing when you scrap the whole truck... plus whatever good parts you can pull off of it.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
probably around $75 if you're lucky... or you can buy the whole truck, and at 190/ton (extremely low BTW), you should be VERY easily out nothing when you scrap the whole truck... plus whatever good parts you can pull off of it.

I have no where to put it or I would try to buy it whole.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
He wants another $100 for the trany. He said he dont wanna take all weight off it and not get enough whenever he takes it in for junk.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
The trans should only be worth $20-$30 as scrap. He's talkin out his ass, I would pass on the whole dang thang.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yea sounds stupid he must know you want it or know he can get good cash for a core or rebuild or something. if it was me I'd say $100-200 max for motor, trans and rad. if he passes walk away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigcreek