Pics of future 454 purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Ok, After checking the sizes on a 454 radiator from LMC:

Gmt-400 is 17-17 1/4 tall x 34in wide
squarebody is 20 5/8 or 19in tall x 28 1/4 wide.

This for pickups. Dont know is sizes are different on the burbs or not.

TOADJA !!! Only makes sense.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
If this burb had steering column I would scrap up the 600 and get the whole thing. But I guess I'll to find a gmt 400 454 radiator.

It looked nice enough. The ugly ass mirrors would have had to go first off. But anyway, your plan is to run the 454 in the 90 3/4 ton with the SM465??? You going to keep it TBI or you going to convert back to carb???

Did the guy ever say how well it ran before it froze up? If the top end is in good shape, you might get by with a crank kit in it and have a runner. Just get the crank turned .010/.010 or whereever it'll clean up at, get you a new set of bearings and an engine gasket set so you can reseal it all, then it oughta be good to go.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
It looked nice enough. The ugly ass mirrors would have had to go first off. But anyway, your plan is to run the 454 in the 90 3/4 ton with the SM465??? You going to keep it TBI or you going to convert back to carb???

Did the guy ever say how well it ran before it froze up? If the top end is in good shape, you might get by with a crank kit in it and have a runner. Just get the crank turned .010/.010 or whereever it'll clean up at, get you a new set of bearings and an engine gasket set so you can reseal it all, then it oughta be good to go.

All he said was the trany got stuck in second when someone was driving it and instead them pulling over and stopping they kept driving then the engine locked up.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
See that sounds bad to me. Doesn't sound like changing the trans will free it up, it sounds like the engine itself is actually seized. I would pass on the whole dang thing.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Only way that motor can actually freeze is if a cylinder locked up ain't it? I mean if it has a bad bearing it should still turn over right? Unless a rod was thrown? I mean, why exactly did the motor lock up? From lack of oil or over revving or overheating?

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Only way that motor can actually freeze is if a cylinder locked up ain't it? I mean if it has a bad bearing it should still turn over right? Unless a rod was thrown? I mean, why exactly did the motor lock up? From lack of oil or over revving or overheating?

Over revving it when trany got stuck in 2nd when driving.

Also I had someone call about the 71 torino 302 block I have for sale. He's gonna try to trade me a 454 block for it.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The big question is how it locked up, not why. Did it over-rev and toss a rod? Did it overheat and melt everything together? Did it lose oil pressure and spin a bearing? What were the symptoms before it actually locked? That's what you need to know.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
The big question is how it locked up, not why. Did it over-rev and toss a rod? Did it overheat and melt everything together? Did it lose oil pressure and spin a bearing? What were the symptoms before it actually locked? That's what you need to know.

I dont know that and neither does the owner cause someone else was driving it. All I know it locked from being over reved cause the trany got stuck in 2nd.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
you keep saying that over and over, That is NOT WHY it locked, as they said being over revved caused something else, either seized from overheating, melted rings or something, spuna bearing due to overheated oil or lack of, or a rod gave way due to being over revved.

So technically over revving didn't cause it, doing so for a long amount of time did something like cause overheating or lack of oil or overheated oil.

I don't take anybodys word on anything unless I can clearly see something hanging out of the block, I would crawl under diconnect the flexplate from the TC and try to turn the motor over by hand, and if not pull plugs and look, check the oil, check the coolant, look for signs of what happened.

Who knows maybe you get lucky and it is trans locked.

if you're gonna get another block, buy this one for parts, like a top end, or offer him like $50 for the heads and top end.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
you keep saying that over and over, That is NOT WHY it locked, as they said being over revved caused something else, either seized from overheating, melted rings or something, spuna bearing due to overheated oil or lack of, or a rod gave way due to being over revved.

So technically over revving didn't cause it, doing so for a long amount of time did something like cause overheating or lack of oil or overheated oil.

I don't take anybodys word on anything unless I can clearly see something hanging out of the block, I would crawl under diconnect the flexplate from the TC and try to turn the motor over by hand, and if not pull plugs and look, check the oil, check the coolant, look for signs of what happened.

Who knows maybe you get lucky and it is trans locked.

if you're gonna get another block, buy this one for parts, like a top end, or offer him like $50 for the heads and top end.

I know I keep repeating myself but thats all I know. I do know that it didnt have any signs of thrown rod through the block.

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Technically being stuck in 2nd is what grenaded my motor, and it didn't show any outward signs of the hellish destruction within, unless you count the oil fill cap being blown off the valve cover. Of course mine wasn't STUCK in second, it was stuck into second by my lovely wife, at 80MPH, on I81, all the way from Hagerstown to exit 16 which is where the #3 rod cap let go. Be careful Dave....

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yes, the overreving is what probably caused the motor to fail, but the reason WHY ITS LOCKED, is most likely due to no oil restriction to keep oil in the pan. The pan ran dry with all the oil on the top end not draining back to the pan fast enough, and high rpm without any oil and overheating, its doesn't take long to seize a motor. And it probably just didn't lock up. The damage was done, then when parked and shut off, the bearings and all cooled down and that was it. It seized as it cooled and the bearings are likely stuck to the crank from chewed up babbit or bearing material. These bearings are not going to be pretty I'll assure you.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
You going to keep it TBI or you going to convert back to carb??

Whats the procedure to convert back to carb on the 90 3/4 ton? Isn't this 85 burb a carb engine? So if it overheated from lack of oil from being stuck in second would the heads be warped?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sammygunns