Pics of future 454 purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
So can I build up a 350 with the same power and torque as a 454? I just want to build a powerful and torquey engine if were to decided to throw a wrecker bed on the 90 3/4ton for towing.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'd never put a wrecker bed on that 90 3/4 ton. The wrecker bed itself is pretty heavy, and about what a 3/4 ton chassis will hold. So now that the bed has maxed it out, what kind of vehicle you going to be towing? I'd go with a Cab and Chassis truck for a wrecker bed.
Now if you're doing a slide in stinger, that might be different, but even then, I'd say you won't be lifting to big of vehicles. I think you'd need to consider a tandem axle trailer with brakes on at least 1 axle for a much safer tow.

towman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
a lot of scrappers are running three quarters with air bags with just a wheel lift under them, they get the job done

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
a lot of scrappers are running three quarters with air bags with just a wheel lift under them, they get the job done

I've seen that too and they seem to carry the lighter weight late model FWD drive vehicles fine. Its when they get the old heavy iron they start to struggle a bit. Of course the wheel lift is much lighter than a complete wrecker bed and why I suggested he not install a wrecker bed on his 3/4 ton.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I'd never put a wrecker bed on that 90 3/4 ton. The wrecker bed itself is pretty heavy, and about what a 3/4 ton chassis will hold. So now that the bed has maxed it out, what kind of vehicle you going to be towing? I'd go with a Cab and Chassis truck for a wrecker bed.
Now if you're doing a slide in stinger, that might be different, but even then, I'd say you won't be lifting to big of vehicles. I think you'd need to consider a tandem axle trailer with brakes on at least 1 axle for a much safer tow.

What about one of those add on wrecker booms in the bed like you see in the truck on the tv show Operation Repo? Wrecker bed cant be heavier than a add on dump bed in the truck bed itself. This is the 8 lug 3/4 ton version not 6 lug. The gross weight is 8600 pounds but I can tag it up to 10,000 pounds.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That electric stinger on Op Repo is proably similar to the same weight as a slide in stinger Should work ok but you're gonna know when you got a full size truck or heavy car.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
What about one of those add on wrecker booms in the bed like you see in the truck on the tv show Operation Repo? Wrecker bed cant be heavier than a add on dump bed in the truck bed itself. This is the 8 lug 3/4 ton version not 6 lug. The gross weight is 8600 pounds but I can tag it up to 10,000 pounds.

And you'll notice they can't tow 3/4 of the cars they "repo."

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
We had one of those hide-away units in a 3/4 ton Ford truck and we could tow just about anything within reason. Not a farm tractor or stuff like that but we would repo custom deluxe vans and just about anything else we could get on it.

towman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
you would be ok with the slide in wrecker in our bed, you will want to put some air bags on it to keep the front end of your truck on the ground, of course it will really only be good for scrap cars as you will pretty much destroy anything from the mid 80's and up cars with all the plastic

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
you would be ok with the slide in wrecker in our bed, you will want to put some air bags on it to keep the front end of your truck on the ground, of course it will really only be good for scrap cars as you will pretty much destroy anything from the mid 80's and up cars with all the plastic

I wanna be able to tow the newer stuff along with the old stuff.

towman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
well if you want to tow the newer stuff you can forget about a sling type tow truck, you will need a wheel lift , the ones that pick cars up by the tires so you do not destroy the car, one company off the top of my head is

lift and tow .com
have seen on of those in use and id did a decent job

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Well I decided to pass on this locked up 454 and instead I stripped out 88 C1500 and kept most the body parts, engine, trany, etc. I think he's full of crap if thinks he junk it the whole thing for $600 bucks. Scrap is 9.50/100 which is $212 per ton. So if the empty weight of that 3/4 ton burb is 5,000 pounds he might get lucky and come out with $500. Also he's gonna have to work for that cause the scrap yards around wont take it unless there's a big hole in the gas tank.

If I ever hear from him asking me if I still want it. I'm gonna talk **** with him and tell I found a complete 454 with 2-3 rods knocks thats already pulled for 2-3 hundred bucks and see if he takes bite at it drops the price in half since I have to pull it and he doesnt want too.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
That's how ya do it man. Play uninterested in buying and haggle like you don't need it. Which in all reality, you don't really need it. We had that yard sale, a guy wanted to buy an old benchtop drill press I had out there, needed a starting capacitor hooked up. I had the capacitor, and told him the press ran but you needed to spin the pulley to get it going. Told him I wanted $1 for the way it sat, or I could hook up the capacitor and show him it works but then I would want $10. I got it hooked up and was getting ready to put the little cover over the capacitor and he said "you still want a dollar for it?" Bastard. I said "Hell I'm gonna test it now, I'll probably want $10 cause I know it'll run." Tested it and it ran like a top, drilled some 1/4" steel with it to show him it worked good. He said "I'll give ya $5." I said no I'll keep it, it's too early in the day and I told ya $10. You can carry it off for a $10 bill. He said my labor was too expensive lol and left.

Later another haggler came by and saw my old snow thrower I had out for $10. He started in on me for it. By this time I had taken the angle grinder/wire wheel and WD-40 and cleaned up the drill press and it looked like brand-new. He didn't want to pay $10 for the snow thrower, it looked rough but ran like new, but said he would give me $10 for the snow thrower and drill press. I told him about the guy coming by earlier, but told him we were haggling for the drill press alone for $20 lol. (Little white lie haha) Then I told him about this Craftsman push-weedeater-lookin thing I had that needed fixed up, dragged it out and let him see it and told him he could have all 3 for $30. I knew he wouldn't go for it but he haggled for $10, then $15, then finally he went to $20 and I told him if I couldn't get $25 for all 3 of them I would keep them, clean em up and put em out next time and get more out of em. He said he wasn't really even interested in the snow thrower, but he really liked that drill press. I fired up the snow thrower in 3 pulls, and it hadn't ran since I dunno, January? Shut it off, he scratched his chin, rubbed his head, paced back and forth for a minute. Then he gave me $25 and I helped him load em! :lol: But that's the way you gotta haggle man!

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
:lol: That's pretty funny right there! :D That guy likes shiny stuff whether he needs them or not :D

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
That's like that Poulan chainsaw I had out there too that day. ****** piece of ****! Sometimes it would run, sometimes it wouldn't. I cant tell ya how many times I took it on the hill to cut wood and pull my guts out on it and it wouldn't hit a lick. Get it home and it would run. Cant tell ya how many times I threw it across the yard in a fit of rage too lol. I took some parts off other saws I had, like a bar brake, 18" bar and chain, new oiler, changed the plug and fuel lines, enough to get it running and have a couple things to make it more desirable. Figured if I could get $30 out of it I would take it and run! That morning I gave it a few pulls and to my shock it fired right up. The guy who thought my labor was too expensive thought $30 was too much, said he'd give me $20. I told him I was firm on $30, if I couldn't get that out of it I'd keep it as a backup for my new Husky. He passed but another guy came, I showed him it fired right up (that time, thank God lol) and he didn't hesitate to skin out the green for it! Gotta know how to HUSTLE that cheddar! :lol:

Whatever your minimum price is, it's best to start above that and let em chew ya down to where you wanna be. Keep in mind most of the time they're gonna bid 2/3 or 1/2 what you want, you counter, keep it rollin, throw in other crap if you want and adjust the price on the fly, keep em on the hook. Or if you're the buyer go cold on it for a little while, ask him what else he's got for sale, look around, go back to it. It's important to have that rapport with the other person, be funny, try not to piss them off, tell them make a reasonable offer or ask what their bottom dollar is. Tell em you only brought so much money (have your money split out ahead of time, so much in each pocket) and that you need to get gas, buy groceries, etc. Wife thinks I'm a pretty good haggler, I beat her on the yard sale total at the end of the day! :rofl:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btrain04