Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
My guess would be that you have a 300-5 rectangle port intake, with large oval port gaskets, on a peanut port head. This is making it so nothing will seal up.

Get yourself the Performer 2-0 intake manifold and a set of Mr. Gasket ultra seal oval port gaskets. They are part number 5827. Those should seal up fine to the performer intake, but will be a bit big on the peanut ports.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I don't have any experience with peanut port heads, do the oval and peanut port designs interchange?

@NastyRay no one will be able to make intake recommendations without knowing more about the motor - what cam (part # or actual specs) you're using will dictate the rpm range which in turn effects which intake works best.

Just to say it out loud - For me, I am agreeing that the current intake MAY NOT be the best selection depending it's positive ID. I am NOT saying I think the intake design is the root of the problem you posted about, especially since you were able to effect how the engine runs by spraying around the carb base.
Peanut port is a smaller oval port. You can only get rectangle port or oval port for BBC... I've never seen anything specify "peanut port only".

He clarified after his initial post about spraying around the carb base that it wasn't the carb gasket. He had such a massive intake manifold leak that when he sprayed around the carb base it was getting sucked into the intake manifold gasket area.

He will not be able to run in the RPM range for that Holley manifold with those heads... period. Regardless of cam or anything else, he has the wrong intake for those heads. For a manifold like that to make any sense on a BBC, he would need to have large rectangular port heads, a big solid roller cam, and a 3-4000 rpm stall converter.

NastyRay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nasty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
454ci
Peanut port is a smaller oval port. You can only get rectangle port or oval port for BBC... I've never seen anything specify "peanut port only".

He clarified after his initial post about spraying around the carb base that it wasn't the carb gasket. He had such a massive intake manifold leak that when he sprayed around the carb base it was getting sucked into the intake manifold gasket area.

He will not be able to run in the RPM range for that Holley manifold with those heads... period. Regardless of cam or anything else, he has the wrong intake for those heads. For a manifold like that to make any sense on a BBC, he would need to have large rectangular port heads, a big solid roller cam, and a 3-4000 rpm stall converter.
Ya I think I’m gonna go that direction. I called and they are gonna take that Holley back almost a year later lol because I do so much business with them. I am just gonna go with the oval port performer Edlebrock. And the mr gasket. Super seal Gaskets. I’ll keep you all updated on the process

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
@Bextreme04 I well aware of the differences and limitations of peanut port, I just didn't know if they made intakes specifically for them.

I did misread the post about the spray though, glad @NastyRay found the issue.

NastyRay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nasty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
454ci
Ok guys ordered the new intake it will be here tomorrow. The intake was definitely my problem it was leaking on almost every one lol take a look for a good laugh. I definitely won’t make this mistake again
What do you mean when you say you cant get a timing light on it? Also what do you mean that y0ou cant get it to run under 3000 rpm? It wont idle? How worn is the 454? Fresh or high miles?

My guess would be that you have a 300-5 rectangle port intake, with large oval port gaskets, on a peanut port head. This is making it so nothing will seal up.

Get yourself the Performer 2-0 intake manifold and a set of Mr. Gasket ultra seal oval port gaskets. They are part number 5827. Those should seal up fine to the performer intake, but will be a bit big on the peanut ports.

Ya I think I’m gonna go that direction. I called and they are gonna take that Holley back almost a year later lol because I do so much business with them. I am just gonna go with the oval port performer Edlebrock. And the mr gasket. Super seal Gaskets. I’ll keep you all updated on the process

@Bextreme04 I well aware of the differences and limitations of peanut port, I just didn't know if they made intakes specifically for them.

I did misread the post about the spray though, glad @NastyRay found the issue.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 69
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 71

NastyRay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nasty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
454ci
Here is for learning purposes for anyone doing a new build. First don’t trust parts stores check then double check. Then triple check and that’s all I got now here is for another good laugh

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 75

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Ok guys ordered the new intake it will be here tomorrow. The intake was definitely my problem it was leaking on almost every one lol take a look for a good laugh. I definitely won’t make this mistake again
wow, you can see how much higher the rectangle ports went by the witness marks above the round ports... do you have a pic of the intake manifold flange and the gasket you were using too by chance?

NastyRay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nasty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
454ci
wow, you can see how much higher the rectangle ports went by the witness marks above the round ports... do you have a pic of the intake manifold flange and the gasket you were using too by chance?

Attachments

• 4F55B624-2F28-4ADF-9873-94D865EF8C22.jpeg
    4F55B624-2F28-4ADF-9873-94D865EF8C22.jpeg
    153.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 7464D6BF-BD51-4B4A-8D18-6541CE4354FC.jpeg
    7464D6BF-BD51-4B4A-8D18-6541CE4354FC.jpeg
    125.2 KB · Views: 51

NastyRay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nasty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
454ci
What I did was set my gasket on the head and was like hell that looks good. And didn’t think twice to check on the intake. I feel so stupid.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
What I did was set my gasket on the head and was like hell that looks good. And didn’t think twice to check on the intake. I feel so stupid.
wow, I had no idea the rectangle port sat that much higher on the cylinder head than the ovals... that's crazy! You can definitely see why they make so much more power at high RPM though. That was a crazy amount of vacuum leak

NastyRay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nasty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
454ci
wow, I had no idea the rectangle port sat that much higher on the cylinder head than the ovals... that's crazy! You can definitely see why they make so much more power at high RPM though. That was a crazy amount of vacuum leak
I’m surprised it even fired off. Funny thing is that when I first fired the truck it was back firing and shooting fireballs out the carb. And I was like wtf it has to be 180 deg out so I ended up bring it to comp stroke Tdc probably 3 different times checked then rechecked my plug wires. Idk how it even fired. I can’t wait to see the difference in how it runs vs when it was messed up

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I’m surprised it even fired off. Funny thing is that when I first fired the truck it was back firing and shooting fireballs out the carb. And I was like wtf it has to be 180 deg out so I ended up bring it to comp stroke Tdc probably 3 different times checked then rechecked my plug wires. Idk how it even fired. I can’t wait to see the difference in how it runs vs when it was messed up
I managed to drive a car about 50 miles with half a missing carb base spacer once. I’m surprised it ran too, but I had to keep it wound up and hit neutral and rev it to 3k or so whenever I was slowing down. Good thing most of it was freeway. Kept it wound in 2nd gear
Glad to see you got it figured out. (And able to return the manifold!)

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I managed to drive a car about 50 miles with half a missing carb base spacer once. I’m surprised it ran too, but I had to keep it wound up and hit neutral and rev it to 3k or so whenever I was slowing down. Good thing most of it was freeway. Kept it wound in 2nd gear
Glad to see you got it figured out. (And able to return the manifold!)
As I posted in my off topic area, I started and ran the Buick 455 in the 67 Riviera I bought a while back with an entire bank of spark plug wires disconnected. It sounded a little sluggish and quiet at the time, but it popped right off and ran smooth with only the drivers side bank firing. A properly assembled and healthy long block will run(albeit poorly) with a whole lot of stuff wrong with it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garcjay