Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NastyRay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nasty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
454ci
Just got done reading this whole thread. @NastyRay super stoked for you.

We might be getting my son his first pickup with a 454, so I was invested in your progress.

You can upload a video to YT, then allow only those with the link to view it for security/ privacy concerns. You could put the link here so we could all see.
Ya I’m going to do that! That is what hotrodpc recommended to me aswell! I’ll get started on that and Hopefully have something up this week!

NastyRay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nasty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
454ci
Ya I’m going to do that! That is what hotrodpc recommended to me aswell! I’ll get started on that and Hopefully have something up this week!

We might be getting my son his first pickup with a 454, so I was invested in your progress.

You can upload a video to YT, then allow only those with the link to view it for security/ privacy concerns. You could put the link here so we could all see.
Well I hope you do get him a truck with a big block! It’s a great deal of fun and great to learn with! If he ever has any questions my mistakes are his knowledge

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
No I just did it by hand at the carb.
I had the same issue with the spring off. I was working on it and forgot to hook the spring back up and as soon as it started it was probably 3000 rpm. Everything was fine after hooking it back up correctly.

NastyRay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nasty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
454ci
I had the same issue with the spring off. I was working on it and forgot to hook the spring back up and as soon as it started it was probably 3000 rpm. Everything was fine after hooking it back up correctly.
My problem was I had the wrong intake on for my heads! If you want a good laugh go back in the thread and check out what I mean :)

NastyRay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nasty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
454ci

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

NastyRay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nasty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
454ci
What oil are you running in this engine?

All flat tappet cams need a zinc additive present in the oil or it will only be a matter of time before a lifter / cam lobe will chew itself to death.

I use Valvoline VR1 in all my flat cam engines....
I 100% used a zinc additive. Wouldn’t dream of not

NastyRay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nasty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
454ci
Wtf does this go to it comes of my headlight wiring harness

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 52

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
At first glance that looks like the connector for your Proportioning Valve. It should be behind the front frame rail just off center towards the drivers' side.

NastyRay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nasty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
454ci
At first glance that looks like the connector for your Proportioning Valve. It should be behind the front frame rail just off center towards the drivers' side.
My proportioning valve has a prong not a flat blade like the connector? Still it ya think?

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Mine is the same way. If your brake like is not on, hook a jumper up to the connector to ground and check again. If the brake light is still not on, it's something else.

NastyRay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nasty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
454ci
Ok issue my headlights are not working but my brights are! Anyone got any ideas. Replaced the switches and checked all my grounds

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Ok issue my headlights are not working but my brights are! Anyone got any ideas. Replaced the switches and checked all my grounds
Its a pretty simple circuit. If you are getting voltage at the connector, your bulbs are probably burned out or the ground connection to the core support isn't clean. If not voltage than it has to be either the main headlight switch or the dimmer switch.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Time to dust off the DMM and start checking.

NastyRay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nasty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
454ci
Its a pretty simple circuit. If you are getting voltage at the connector, your bulbs are probably burned out or the ground connection to the core support isn't clean. If not voltage than it has to be either the main headlight switch or the dimmer switch.
No voltage at the socket. Voltage to the switch. But I’m not sure which wire should be sending voltage out when switch is engaged.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
No voltage at the socket. Voltage to the switch. But I’m not sure which wire should be sending voltage out when switch is engaged.
pull up the wiring diagrams from your year service manual in the reference library forum. You should be able to see exactly what wires to check to verify what is wrong

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
millernf