1984 k10 700r4 won't shift out of 2nd please help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
So what was the outcome?? did it get resolved?

Spookee

Reaction score
First Name
hannah and pat
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
It’s at the trans shop right now :) the diagnoses was that the 3/4 pack was burnt, rear planet had too much wobble,input drum needed to be replaced, and it looks like at some point someone had partially installed a corvette servo. So that is getting taken out and replaced with a transgo shift kit. The transmission is getting rebuilt this week so hopefully should have our metal baby back soon!

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
You must be registered for see images attach
Here it is getting towed off to the shop :)
Man That view in the background is beautiful!!

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
It’s at the trans shop right now :) the diagnoses was that the 3/4 pack was burnt, rear planet had too much wobble,input drum needed to be replaced, and it looks like at some point someone had partially installed a corvette servo. So that is getting taken out and replaced with a transgo shift kit. The transmission is getting rebuilt this week so hopefully should have our metal baby back soon!
Glad it will be getting rebuilt. The vette servo wasn't partially installed, it only applies to 2nd gear. 4th gear uses an additional piston inside that servo cover, which is the same across all 700R4s and 4L60Es (there's aftermarket billet servo assemblies available for both 2nd and 4th gear). The vette servo should be reinstalled (or replaced with another Corvette servo if the current one has a worn pin bore). Parts from the Transgo shift kit will be installed into the servo on the 2-3 accumulator side.

It should shift nice and smooth, getting crisp to firm at higher throttle angles and work out nicely for you...They will do all the TV set up and adjustment there at the shop so all you'll have to do is drive it.

Spookee

Reaction score
First Name
hannah and pat
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Glad it will be getting rebuilt. The vette servo wasn't partially installed, it only applies to 2nd gear. 4th gear uses an additional piston inside that servo cover, which is the same across all 700R4s and 4L60Es (there's aftermarket billet servo assemblies available for both 2nd and 4th gear). The vette servo should be reinstalled (or replaced with another Corvette servo if the current one has a worn pin bore). Parts from the Transgo shift kit will be installed into the servo on the 2-3 accumulator side.

It should shift nice and smooth, getting crisp to firm at higher throttle angles and work out nicely for you...They will do all the TV set up and adjustment there at the shop so all you'll have to do is drive it.
Ah thank you! I’m still learning lol :) a whole new world for me. I was scribbling notes as the guy was explaining what he found. I don’t really understand the corvette servo… what does it do & why install it? I’ll have to take some time to look it up. I also hope to be able to ask some questions when we pick up the truck especially about the tv cable. We’re going to get some front end work done on the truck this spring including a new (lightly used) carb and I want to make sure the geometry doesn’t get messed up especially since the closest trans shop to me is 50+ miles away over in the valley!

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
So whats the outcome? You rolling now?