Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NastyRay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nasty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
454ci
And before you all get on me about it not being organized I know. I’ve been taking apart everything putting it back taking and putting it back again

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
Make certain that the bottom of the rear of the carb is plugged as you are a hydro-boost truck and not using the vacuum for the booster.

Strickland

NastyRay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nasty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
454ci
Ok so I did as one guy posted and turned it on and started spraying starter fluid in suspected areas. I.e base of carb. And sure enough it revved twice both back corners. I’ll see what I can come up with after I fix that

Grumpy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Before installing the intake, did you verify the the intake gaskets for mismatch?

NastyRay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nasty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
454ci
Before installing the intake, did you verify the the intake gaskets for mismatch?
No I did not. Honestly I didn’t even know that was a thing. Can you elaborate please brother

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Wow bud! Nice looking motor and setup!
Yeah from what you said, I’d start with a vac gauge. You’ve identified a couple vacuum leaks already.

NastyRay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nasty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
454ci
Well I have found my issue thought it was revving from the carb base but it was pulling through my intake so idk what I did wrong but I get to take all my hard work apart and re do it all…I do it nice cause I do it twice

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That's one hell of a mess of spaghetti on that there brand new, dolled up 454! If it's running wild, it's sucking air from somewhere. My retarded buddy did the same thing with a Pat Musi built 455 Oldsmobile. I took one look at it and asked him why the vacuum ports on the back of the carb weren't plugged. And we drank beer shortly thereafter.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Just checking - The carb base and top of the intake use the same style of gasket? (square vs spreadbore)

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Well I have found my issue thought it was revving from the carb base but it was pulling through my intake so idk what I did wrong but I get to take all my hard work apart and re do it all…I do it nice cause I do it twice
Make sure you don't have a mismatch between tall deck and standard deck big block and intake. Where did you get the crate motor from? What's the PN? If it is a rebuild, there's a chance they decked it. What intake gaskets are you using?

What made you go with that holley high rise single plane manifold? Do you know any history on it?

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
No I did not. Honestly I didn’t even know that was a thing. Can you elaborate please brother
BBC has several different intake port sizes and shapes. Did you make sure they are the same and that they don't have some difference in shape(i.e. place the gasket over the head side and make sure it fits right, then place it over intake side and make sure it also fits right). Same thing with the carb and spacers. You should have a gasket on both side of the spacer and you will want to verify they are the right size and shape for both sides of things you are bolting together before bolting them together.

85K304SPD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Intake manifold leaking where it mates with the head. If the heads were milled that could mean that you need to mill the intake to fit. You might want to get a single plane intake before you do all that work on that drag race piece. Something more for low end torque. Just a thought.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Disable the spark and crank it over. If a cylinder has low compression or isn't filling for some reason the cranking will be uneven. If you're unable to discern an uneven cylinder that way post a video of it cranking with sound so we can eliminate a mechanical problem.

Nice looking motor.

NastyRay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nasty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
454ci
Make sure you don't have a mismatch between tall deck and standard deck big block and intake. Where did you get the crate motor from? What's the PN? If it is a rebuild, there's a chance they decked it. What intake gaskets are you using?

What made you go with that holley high rise single plane manifold? Do you know any history on it?
How do you tell the difference?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djisurfli