static timing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89_3&3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Ok some of you mite think im nutz but im going to tell you a tip my budy scotty showed me he uses to time a 2800 hp blown alcohol mud dragster it works and if your having timing problems this may help ok so first you need 2 guys to do it one to do the break stand and one to sit under the hood to adjust the distributor So what the driver is going do is sink the break to the floor and put the truck into 1st bring up the rpm to 2500 to 3000 you just want it to feel like it wants to go now the guy under the hood can adjust you will feel the truck try and jump when you hit top dead Tighten down and find a hill and check for ping if so retard a nudge retest till its smooth

89_3&3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
And in case your wondering its how I timed the 3&3 cause im not going to try and clean the timing notchs behind the water pump or clean the grudge off to find the mark on the balancer

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That's not going to work for those who have an OEM stall of 1800 rpm or so. They'll never get to 2500 rpm. I don't really care much for this method on a stocker for the reason being, by this time you are at full advance via Vac Advance and Centrifical. I've had better luck timing a stocker by ear at idle, and then there is also the Vac gauge method.

89_3&3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
You will in 1st gear it depends on the truck I guess you want to rev and hold to a point where you feel the truck fighting the breaks the higher you rev though the more it will jump when you hit top dead center

chevyk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1984 chevy
Truck Model
k-10
Engine Size
358 Dart block with aluminum heads 430hp/450ft-lb torque
I don't like timing by ear. I've never got one right by ear. You can get by but it will never be right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I'd like to try this if HR will be the one under the hood. :flamingdevil::greenchainsaw::burnout::laughing1:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I had no choice but to do it that way on my C20 when the balancer had slipped over 1/3 of a turn. I do it and seem to do OK with it. You can also advance it a hair until you get PING, then back it off a **** hair until it quits pinging/or warm hard starts.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'd like to try this if HR will be the one under the hood. :flamingdevil::greenchainsaw::burnout::laughing1:

And that would end up being your loss Dawg. I've be yanking wires and hoses like a muhhh fugger and yo **** wouldn't be running at all. :rofl:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Ok some of you mite think im nutz but im going to tell you a tip my budy scotty showed me he uses to time a 2800 hp blown alcohol mud dragster it works and if your having timing problems this may help ok so first you need 2 guys to do it one to do the break stand and one to sit under the hood to adjust the distributor So what the driver is going do is sink the break to the floor and put the truck into 1st bring up the rpm to 2500 to 3000 you just want it to feel like it wants to go now the guy under the hood can adjust you will feel the truck try and jump when you hit top dead Tighten down and find a hill and check for ping if so retard a nudge retest till its smooth

John, I have to ask...
Where did you go to school?

Last edited:

chevyk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1984 chevy
Truck Model
k-10
Engine Size
358 Dart block with aluminum heads 430hp/450ft-lb torque
Yes you can get by. I've done it many times, just won't be perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

89_3&3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
John, I have to ask...
Where did you go to school?

Look bud if your looking for an argument look somewhere else I know it works cause I just did it my truck ive had for 2 week and dumped 1500 into now runs mint I come from the school of make it work
And if you really think im stupid lets compare trucks cars toys trailer's tools think im doing something wright

Last edited:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Look bud if your looking for an argument look somewhere else I know it works cause I just did it my truck ive had for 2 week and dumped 1500 into now runs mint I come from the school of make it work
And if you really think im stupid lets compare trucks cars toys trailer's tools think im doing something wright

No, No, No.
Look at your posts, then look at everyone elses.
Your school failed you, because you are not doing it "Write".
Not looking to get into an argument...Judging from the way you write, I was turning wrenches while you were sitting in front of your grandma's TV, gnawing on a Fudgecicle, and watching Bugs Bunny....or, was it Calliou?

By the way, who the **** judges intelligence based on one's possessions?
we have a live one here, guys!

Last edited:

89_3&3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
[QUOTE =Jims86 ;211 630] N o, No, No.
Your school, failed you, because you are not doing it "Write".[/QUOTE]

Whatever bud if your going to base your opinion of my intelligence On my writing ok fill your boots

Yes im a redneck yes im illiterate Yes I cant spell but can build

Last edited:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
[QUOTE =Jims86 ;211 630] N o, No, No.
Your school, failed you, because you are not doing it "Write".

Whatever bud if your going to base your opinion of my intelligence On my writing ok fill your boots

Yes im a redneck yes im illiterate Yes I cant spell but can build[/QUOTE]

It would be wrong to base it on your toys...and, don't disrespect rednecks, they use punctuation...at least, the one's here do.

89_3&3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Spend less time looking for flaws in people to point out and more time working on your truck you will be a happier person
Thank you for your insight I will continue with my lack of punctuation due to my dyslexia

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trekster