First time replacing intake manifold gaskets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnswie

Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

Does anybody know what this is called or what it does? It was on my intake but nothing attached to it.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
It’s part of the hot air choke on a Quadrajet. The choke mechanism has a couple small tubes that connect to that device, and it pulls air through it to heat and operate the choke.

It’s not needed if you have an electric choke. IIRC, my Edelebrock intake came with a choke block-off plate for the fitting on the intake.

pnwnvrdn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K10
Engine Size
SBC
I use Fel-Pro intake gaskets...throw away the black rubber front and rear seals and run a bead of Permatex RTV silicone gasket maker instead.

Distributor timing has already been covered, I will add though, it really isn't as scary as it may seem.

Randy and Easton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 LWB
Engine Size
Easton used no gaskets front or back just permatex “right stuff” and it’s been perfect going on 2 years

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 15

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

Does anybody know what this is called or what it does? It was on my intake but nothing attached to it.
Wanna sell it? I'm sick of my electric choke.

silverbackreef

Reaction score
First Name
Dude
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Make sure you mark cylinder 1 wire on the cap and you know the firing order so the wires go back on in the right places. Rotor turns clockwise.

I got a couple wires swapped on mine recently. Motor ran, but ugly. I'm always amazed at the resilience of these motors when I make a mistake like that.

Invest in a timing light w/ tach and dwell, and a vacuum gauge. You won't be sorry.

Read all the articles on this page that refer to timing, vacuum, and distributors: https://www.corvette-restoration.com/how-to-articles/

Look forward to hearing your progress. Mine has evidence that PO used _way_ too much RTV and probably needs to be cleaned up.

Jawzjeep

Honk if parts fall off
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
OP, when I was first learning my old man taught me to write information on the inside of my hood. That way I could pop the hood anytime and be able to see firing order, the rotation of the distributor, part numbers for oil filters and oil capacities and other specific information if I forgot. It was very helpful in the beginning. A light coat of clear over it will make it stay longer.

Also, silver Sharpies show up on black parts really well

johnswie

Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
It’s part of the hot air choke on a Quadrajet. The choke mechanism has a couple small tubes that connect to that device, and it pulls air through it to heat and operate the choke.

It’s not needed if you have an electric choke. IIRC, my Edelebrock intake came with a choke block-off plate for the fitting on the intake.
Ah, that makes sense! Thanks for the info.

johnswie

Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Make sure you mark cylinder 1 wire on the cap and you know the firing order so the wires go back on in the right places. Rotor turns clockwise.

I got a couple wires swapped on mine recently. Motor ran, but ugly. I'm always amazed at the resilience of these motors when I make a mistake like that.

Invest in a timing light w/ tach and dwell, and a vacuum gauge. You won't be sorry.

Read all the articles on this page that refer to timing, vacuum, and distributors: https://www.corvette-restoration.com/how-to-articles/

Look forward to hearing your progress. Mine has evidence that PO used _way_ too much RTV and probably needs to be cleaned up
Wow lots of great articles in there! This should help a lot

johnswie

Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
So everything is finally hooked back up. The biggest issue I seemed to have was that I couldn’t properly fit a socket in between some of the valleys on the intake. I torqued the bolts done as well I could with a smaller wrench, but not sure if it’s to spec. The bolts came off pretty easy, so I feel like I had it tighter than before. Anyways, after an oil change I started it. Ran rough and had a new loud sound I couldn’t identify. Like a loud tick? Adjusted the timing. Seemed to idle well but still the loud noise. After warming up it seemed to go away. But comes back once in gear. Drove it very briefly and seemed to drive fine. Any ideas what this could be? Maybe this will go away (wishful thinking)? I’d post a video if I could

hogdaddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Hopefully you didn't drop anything inside. I can't imagine a tick from an intake change. Check your plug wires and distributor cap is on correctly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scandia