static timing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
What friction its fluid transfer from the pump to the torque converter your wheels would be spinning before any real load on the tranny
And I still didn't get any real explanation on motor bog

hmmm, let me spin this around a minute. How about you explain to me how that's not true?

And no real load on the transmission? For real? You don't think that's that putting a strain on the clutch packs that are engaged for first gear? No not from pump to converter. Friction WITHIN the converter from the Impeller, Stator and Turbine Vanes. You know #1 killer on auto transmissions is heat? Where does this heat come from if there's no slippage?

89_3&3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Hmm thought so

Ok so your telling me that starting your truck and putting it in gear for maybe a minute tops is going to cause more heat than pulling a trailer for a long trip and that this small load for a short period of time is going to cause so much heat it will harm your tranny do you really want to go here

since it seems to be general practice to argue here I came guns fully loaded today

And engine bog? lets dig this hole further please

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Nope, not saying that at all. You said stalling the motor isn't putting a load on the transmission and for a fact it is, whether it be for a minute or not it is. And hell yes, let's go there. I'm really interested in this education. Let's hear it.

89_3&3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Nope, not saying that at all. You said stalling the motor isn't putting a load on the transmission and for a fact it is, whether it be for a minute or not it is. And hell yes, let's go there. I'm really interested in this education. Let's hear it.

No your saying it cant be done since most the members don't have high stall so since your the expert you explain why im wrong
I never said no load I said that the tranny wouldn't be under full load till the wheels slip
Now bog?

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Fact is, many converters that have an ADVERTISED stall of 2500 rpm, don't even get to 2500 stall, so how the hell would an 1800 Stall converter get there? Do you even know why they sell high stall converters? If you can stall out a stock converter at 2500, then why the hell do people buy a 2500 stall converter? Or a 3000 stall converter???

And when did I say I was the expert??? Or are you just thinking your going to make me look stupid??? That you won't be doing. And I promise, I won't be trying to make you look stupid.

89_3&3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Fparta, many converters that have an ADVERTISED stall of 2500 rpm, don't even get to 2500 stall, so how the hell would an 1800 Stall converter get there? Do you even know why they sell high stall converters? If you can stall out a stock converter at 2500, then why the hell do people buy a 2500 stall converter? Or a 3000 stall converter???

And when did I say I was the expert??? Or are you just thinking your going to make me look stupid??? That you won't be doing. And I promise, I won't be trying to make you look stupid.
What does that have to do with anything about static timing and bring the rpm to the point the wheels want to slip and im not trying to do anything but if I know something ain't wright im going to say it ive only ever had a sb its all ive ever worked on 17 years of pulling them apart there the best truck to date and built like a tank but im not going to let you treat me like some noob kid wet behind the ears I have more wrench time here than most members and im sick of the patronizing

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
Dude, your e-penis is HUGE.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Dude Really??? What does it have to do with Static Timing to the point the wheels slip???? It has to do with you saying bring it up to 2500-3000rpm with someone holding their foot on the brake. YOU SAID THAT !!! That's what it has to do with, and when I know something ain't right, I'm going to say something too. And I'm telling you, most of us here DO NOT have a 2500 or higher stall converter. I'm not even treating you like some kind of noob kid. I don't think anyone is. I think most have you figured out already and they're not going to waste their time. You can't train or teach someone something that knows everything so why bother??? I happen to know most of the members here and I'll assure you, you DO NOT have more wrench time than many. Noone asked you to patronize anyone. This is an open forum and a very loose one at that. Feel free to post up your experience, but don't go getting all pissed off and butt hurt if someone disagrees. We disagree like adults around here, but one thing you won't do, is cram something down someones throat and get them to believe it if it's true or not.

89_3&3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Dude Really??? What does it have to do with Static Timing to the point the wheels slip???? It has to do with you saying bring it up to 2500-3000rpm with someone holding their foot on the brake. YOU SAID THAT !!! That's what it has to do with, and when I know something ain't right, I'm going to say something too. And I'm telling you, most of us here DO NOT have a 2500 or higher stall converter. I'm not even treating you like some kind of noob kid. I don't think anyone is. I think most have you figured out already and they're not going to waste their time. You can't train or teach someone something that knows everything so why bother??? I happen to know most of the members here and I'll assure you, you DO NOT have more wrench time than many. Noone asked you to patronize anyone. This is an open forum and a very loose one at that. Feel free to post up your experience, but don't go getting all pissed off and butt hurt if someone disagrees. We disagree like adults around here, but one thing you won't do, is cram something down someones throat and get them to believe it if it's true or not.
seriously why are you holding on to this 2500 stall thing it has nothing to do with anything just cause my truck had a higher stall doesn't mean the principal Wont work on and 1800 stall and I will say it again it depends on the truck

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Why am I holding onto to this 2500 stall thing??? For real???

READ YOUR 1st post. I didn't write it. You wrote it !!!
So what the driver is going do is sink the break to the floor and put the truck into 1st bring up the rpm to 2500 to 3000 you just want it to feel like it wants to go now the guy under the hood can adjust you will feel the truck try and jump when you hit top dead Tighten down and find a hill and check for ping if so retard a nudge retest till its smooth

Now ask yourself why am I holding onto the 2500-3000 rpm thing. Because YOU SAID to bring it up to 2500-3000 rpm that's why. Hopefully that will clear that up. :rolleyes:

Ohhh, but now you're saying 1800 will work, it depends on the truck. Maybe that should have been your 2nd post after my reponse.

89_3&3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
And I didn't cram anything down anyone throat I posted this thead as an option for when conventional Timing isnt working you can take it or leave it and because of That now im a know it all

And you have said it wont work on an 1800 stall and I said well I depends on the truck what your rpm will be and your still arguing
This and that. so quit trolling me you said your piece and your wrong cause it will work on any truck if not prove it

Last edited:

89_3&3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
You will in 1st gear it depends on the truck I guess you want to rev and hold to a point where you feel the truck fighting the breaks the higher you rev though the more it will jump when you hit top dead center

I really think I was clear

Last edited:

89_3&3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Watch he cant help him self

89_3&3