How do YOU set timing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
My opinion on the tires is if the shocks are good and it's bouncing down the road I'd rotate it and forget it. Hard to say on the rubber compound do you know the brand of the old tires and new ones...
Shocks are good/new, tires balanced, runs smooth at 60 or 90mph. And alignment is unchanged but drives straight and as good as an old truck with a 35 year old steering box and rag joint can, IMO.
Old tires were Maxxis Bighorns, actually great shape for being slightly older than the primary driver of the truck. But also hard as a catholic preachers ____ when the boys choir is singing….
New tires are Grabber X3s and yes very open high. Kid ratio mud tread pattern. I was just slightly surprised I saw any feathering in such low miles.
But the conditions it’s used in objectively seem to probably contribute to that.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I run 17 BTDC at idle with the vacuum disconnected. That should be something like 52 BTDC at cruise, with mechanical all in and vacuum all in.

I wrote up a detailed description of timing, including all the whys and wherefores, a while back.
https://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/ignition-timing-for-first-generation-gm-v-8-engines.14508/
Thanks, Rich, I appreciate that. I’ve never tried it on manifold vacuum for the vac advance, I might try that and see how it runs. I already have it at 12 BTDC with vacuum disconnected, seems to run fine. But if it helps it run cooler, I’m happy to try manifold vacuum.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@rich weyand I switched over to manifold vacuum for the advance, and adjusted the idle. Boy, that’s a bit of difference. It “smells” much cleaner at idle too, if that means anything. Hard saying just yet, but temp gauge seems cooler too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad