Old77's 1989 S10 tinkering project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Got an order in today that consisted of rocker, cab corner, door pin/bushing kit and the air dam that goes under the front bumper. Only thing left is the door solution and I should have all that I need. I probably start working with the replacement fender this weekend. Hopefully I can get it to where it's prepped and ready to install. I'll be painting the inner side a non-glossy black. I think the french call it Matte and the educated call it satin. So I'll stick with "non-glossy". :roflbow: And I want to get the exterior in primer. It'll match the bedsides that way :banana-mario: That door, rocker and cab corner are going to be the fun bits. I'm a bit nervous about that since I'm no professional and it's been a minute or 3 since I've done work like that getting all that lined up and half way decent :popcorn:

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Like the "French" reference^^^^^^^^

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
@Bennyt , any word on the Bravada?

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Bennyt , any word on the Bravada?
I went by Saturday afternoon and it's turning into one of those "I know what I got $$$" situations. I offered him $400 for the entire non-running truck which may be low but they only sell for $2500 running. He moved it (dragged by rope) and opened the hood and worked on it, or at least sat some beers on the hood for a few hours. I'm going to hit him up again in a few days. I think the county must have said something as he cleaned up a bunch of trash in the yard. I'll keep you posted.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
So a couple semi-humorous things surrounding the door drama :popcorn:

1. I THINK I might have a door coming my way and is set to arrive on Monday. Door is from Texas, $200 shipped to my door, transaction has been odd from the start so I may be out $200 so I'm holding my enthusiasm down until the door is in my garage LOL Fingers crossed :happy160:

2. Tonight, I'm planning on making a purchase on an '85 S10 blazer that's been 350 swapped, powercoated frame, bunch a work done yada, yada, yada,.....as we were talking seller says there's a lot of parts the come with it. "Sweet!!! What comes wiht it?". He says a bunch of words, mentions a door (my eyes light up), he says a bunch more words....i then ask tell me more about the door!!! it's for at the passenger side :flipthebird: :rofl: I told him that this deal almost got a million times better if that door was for the other side :lol: BUT, I'm definitely hanging on to that door in storage for future use.

I'll be sure and make a thread on the blazer once it's back him. The thing is super clean for an '85. Has Holley EFI on it which intrigues me and interior is pretty clean, too. Family and I are road tripping to Springfield, Mo after school is out and bringing it home tonight.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
So a couple semi-humorous things surrounding the door drama :popcorn:

1. I THINK I might have a door coming my way and is set to arrive on Monday. Door is from Texas, $200 shipped to my door, transaction has been odd from the start so I may be out $200 so I'm holding my enthusiasm down until the door is in my garage LOL Fingers crossed :happy160:

2. Tonight, I'm planning on making a purchase on an '85 S10 blazer that's been 350 swapped, powercoated frame, bunch a work done yada, yada, yada,.....as we were talking seller says there's a lot of parts the come with it. "Sweet!!! What comes wiht it?". He says a bunch of words, mentions a door (my eyes light up), he says a bunch more words....i then ask tell me more about the door!!! it's for at the passenger side :flipthebird: :rofl: I told him that this deal almost got a million times better if that door was for the other side :lol: BUT, I'm definitely hanging on to that door in storage for future use.

I'll be sure and make a thread on the blazer once it's back him. The thing is super clean for an '85. Has Holley EFI on it which intrigues me and interior is pretty clean, too. Family and I are road tripping to Springfield, Mo after school is out and bringing it home tonight.

Are you deleting a vehicle to get it, or simply adding it to the collection? I can't even remember what all you have anymore. Still got the Caddy?

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Are you deleting a vehicle to get it, or simply adding it to the collection? I can't even remember what all you have anymore. Still got the Caddy?
That's exactly what I was thinking lol. "How many dang vehicles does he have now?"

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
That's exactly what I was thinking lol. "How many dang vehicles does he have now?"
Lol this is gonna be a long reply. Get comfy! :rofl:

Which caddy? I’ve had a few. My wife has an 09 Escalade which we got a year ago. SUPER long story there but here we are. I had an 09 CTS wagon that I liked a lot. Replaced the transfer case on it then found out it needed a trans and rear diff. Unloaded it as due to age and miles the car wasn’t worth that expense. Had an ‘84 Eldorado for a bit. That car road like it was on a cloud and really enjoyed it. Downside is it has the 4.1 V8 which was unreliable. Was unfortunate because I had high hopes for that one.

Anyhoot, a few months back I got a crazy hair to throw the square burb up for sale. It was at a point where if I continued to improve it I was going to get into some pretty spendy projects with it. So, before I got into that I decided to throw it up for sale at a price that was high IMO but figured if I got it I’d let it go for that and move on to the next. I put it up for $16k and got $15,500 :eek:

After that, I grabbed a super low mile 08 Malibu and flipped it. Then grabbed an 04 Monte Carlo SS. Intended to flip but broke even. Those are good cars but even super clean examples bring NO money for some reason. It’s wild.

That brings us to this V8 swapped S10 Blazer. I’ll grab pics and start a thread this weekend. She’s clean!

So currently have the ‘77, dually, 89 S10, and Esky. None of those are going anywhere. I’ll have this Blazer for at least a year but probably longer. Very excited about it.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Ohhhh I didn't know the 'burb had left the chat
I wasn’t real vocal about it as I wasn’t all that excited about it but I did make the deal with myself so went through with it.

In other news, my oldest kid who’s currently driving this S10 around has his eyes on a ‘79 that he’s trying to save up for :popcorn: that thing might land in the driveway soon!!

CountKrunk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Count
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Custom Deluxe 3+3
Engine Size
v8 350
The boss talks remind me of that key and peele skit.

"I said biiiiiittttccchhhhh"
"You really said that man??"

I was driving with my friend back in highschool and he was like go faster and i say if i go any faster we're gonna hydroplane, but naturally i did it anyway. Got out of the hydroplane just fine but i was well chuffed with myself for understanding the cars limit haha.

Hunter79764

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V20
Engine Size
I'm pretty late to this thread, but just had to comment that I like the truck, and sorry it got bashed up. I had an '85 S15 for my first car, with the 2.5, 4 speed, and nothing except a radio as far as interior features... It was a great truck, tons of fun. I managed to slide into another truck on a wet day, which took out the bed side and put a small bend in the frame. My grandfather was an experienced mechanic, and had the frame straightened after-hours for a case of beer and $50, and we found a replacement bed at a wrecking yard that I had to sand smooth before grandpa painted it.
It is still parked at my parent's house, to be revived some day. Might go to one of my boys, your thread is inspiring me a bit there... Good luck on the bodywork, and good luck on the Blazer.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
I'm pretty late to this thread, but just had to comment that I like the truck, and sorry it got bashed up. I had an '85 S15 for my first car, with the 2.5, 4 speed, and nothing except a radio as far as interior features... It was a great truck, tons of fun. I managed to slide into another truck on a wet day, which took out the bed side and put a small bend in the frame. My grandfather was an experienced mechanic, and had the frame straightened after-hours for a case of beer and $50, and we found a replacement bed at a wrecking yard that I had to sand smooth before grandpa painted it.
It is still parked at my parent's house, to be revived some day. Might go to one of my boys, your thread is inspiring me a bit there... Good luck on the bodywork, and good luck on the Blazer.
Thanks, man!! The S10 will be fixed and also a good experience for my 16 year old. He’ll definitely be there with me as we repair it :)

Hunter79764

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V20
Engine Size
Yep, I learned a lot about bodywork on that truck bed, sanding all of that flakey gray paint off by hand. In no particular order, this is what I learned that has stuck with me for 20 years:
#1 - I hate sanding.
#2 - Paint jobs are all in the prep work.
#3 - If I can pay someone to do the sanding, I will.
#4 - Don't wreck trucks, because you might have to sand them.
#5 - I still hate sanding.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Absolutely with you!! Sanding sucks and it seems like it never ends. There’s definitely a reason why it costs $$$$ to pay a shop for a paint job and it has nothing to do with the paint lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michaelmarine53