Old77's Jeep Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Intro and info about the rig
About 6 weeks ago I bought my first Jeep and now have spent the last 6 weeks trying to learn as much about Jeeps as possible. At my roots, I'm a GM guy but have always wanted a Wrangler and TJ was as new as I wanted to go. Found this, it was overall very solid and ran well so I jumped at it. She's a 5 speed with the 4.0 and 190k on the clock so she needs a freshen up but has good bones.

Only real mods it currently has is a 4" Skyjacker lift on 33's and a couple Kicker subs in the rear with an aftermarket head unit. Does have LED headlights but not sure that's really a mod.

The audio doesn't currently work because the previous owner said a couple RCA's melted. So I've already ordered a new head unit and new RCA's to get it back up and running. Once it's warm again I'll dig into that and figure out why the RCA's got hot. Seems super odd but maybe a grounding issue?

I also grabbed a couple of replacement seats out of another TJ. See the pics. My stock seats are pretty roached LOL I also have some surface rust on the floors (NO HOLES!! :) ).

I've also got a couple new front fenders on hand to replace the rusty ones that are currently on it.

I've grabbed replacement Skyjacker shocks as it looks like this lift has been installed for a while. I'll also be replacing the sway bar end links and lower arms to freshen things up below.

All the body mounts look good except for the ones right in the middle about where the steps would normally be so I'll have to give that some attention there pretty soon as the body mounts are essentially gone and there is some rot that needs fixed. Luckily I stumbled across a patch kit that has some replacement pieces for that area so that must be a common issue. Once that's done, I also tracked down some steps to put back on. My wife and younger kids have a hard time getting up into the ol' girl so steps are required LOL Main thing for me was mechanically pretty decent and frame in good shape (which it is).

Plans
Overall refresh of everything
New Tires and Wheels. I'll most likely stick with 33's but may move up to 35's if the deal is right
Window Tint
Get audio working again
Exhaust
"Big 7" Upgrade
62mm throttle body upgrade and "cold air" intake
Fix exhaust on rear part of body (see pics)
.....and whatever else hits me as time goes. I'm still learning a lot and just looking to have fun with it while daily driving it.

Pics
You must be registered for see images attach

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Ya gonna change the lime green "WRANGLER" out for pink?? :shrug:
No. My 12 year old likes the lime green so it stays lol If I keep the Jeep long term that may change so we’ll see. Also, may do the things I’ve outlined and unload it in the summer and see what’s next :shrug: I do like it so far, tho.

Old Guy Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Cool, looks good.
Jeeps seem to be super popular around here and I’d love to try to pick one up similar to that.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Cool, looks good.
Jeeps seem to be super popular around here and I’d love to try to pick one up similar to that.
It was the right price and in the right condition so felt like I needed to jump at it! It’s been a fun experience so far being my first Wrangler. :)

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
My buddy’s parents had a Sahara just like that when I was in college, I loved that thing. I’d love to have one to play with. Jeeps are BIG money around here, the same buddy has flipped a couple now and made a nice profit each time

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
My buddy’s parents had a Sahara just like that when I was in college, I loved that thing. I’d love to have one to play with. Jeeps are BIG money around here, the same buddy has flipped a couple now and made a nice profit each time
Yep, same with my area usually. This one was $5k which well below “market value” for my area which is why I jumped on it and is worth making it a little nicer.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Hoping to make some progress on her this weekend. I plan is fix the exhaust hangers real quick, then hit up the audio and figure out what the root cause of that not working is. Best case scenario is it just needs a new head unit and a couple RCA cables. I'll be checking out the grounds, too, to make sure all that's in tip top shape, as well. If that's a pretty quick deal I've also got new Skyjacker shocks to throw on, too. If those don't get done this weekend I'll make time for them next week.

I ordered a few things this morning. New taillights, sway bar end links, seat bolts (for when I put in the new to me seats), and then some other even more minor things.

Also in the near future but just not within the next week, I'll be throwing in the seats while also putting new paint on the floor. Then continuing to refresh the suspension with throwing in the sway bar end links and ordering fresh lower control arms from skyjacker. Also going to order a new gas tank skid plate.

I'll take pics and post them to make things at least a little more interesting to view rather than just a bunch of words to read :)

Jawzjeep

Honk if parts fall off
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Sweet. I'll be watching. My trail toy is a YJ with lots of custom work. The one major piece of advice I would give you is to swap out all of the Torx head bolts for regular hex head bolts as you can. Can't tell you how many I've had to cut out.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Sweet. I'll be watching. My trail toy is a YJ with lots of custom work. The one major piece of advice I would give you is to swap out all of the Torx head bolts for regular hex head bolts as you can. Can't tell you how many I've had to cut out.
That's on my list, too! I have a feeling at least a few of them are pretty well stuck in their place. I have a couple that have no more "torx" to them as they are just round from some previous owner who apparently wasn't well acquainted with removing rusty bolts with how going full boar with an impact and probably not even applying any heat! LOL

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
The End

Yes, she’s fixable. No, I do not have time for another project. This accident happened last night. Tonight, she’s got a new owner.

Synopsis of what happened: heading northbound on the hwy a couple of women decided it was a smart idea to stop dead in their lane because of a dog on the hwy. :flipthebird: couple of cars in front me darted out of the way, then I saw them, brakes locked up and I hit left rear corner with my right front corner which resulted in me being on my side. My 14 year old was in the jeep with me. Both of us were belted in and were absolutely fine other than a bruise or two. I would have swerved but going 60 mph I thought the jeep might flip and was trying to avoid that. Well, here we are anyway.

So dually is back to DD duty for a while.

Adios, Jeep. Not sure what I’ll get next. May just save up for the K5 I’ve always wanted. There’s one local that’s decentish for 8k. Don’t have that right now so will have to save my pennies and may make that goal a reality. We’ll see

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Man that stinks, glad you guys are ok. My daughter has been begging for a Jeep for a while an that's the main reason why I won't get her one.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Wow, that sucks. Good that nobody was hurt and that you found a buyer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag