2003 Acura MDX

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
The AWD works great! You can find some impressive videos on YouTube.. Russian guys going through very deep snow, 4 wheelin’ in extreme conditions and rescuing other stuck 4x4s. These MDXs are very capable!
Premium fuel does make a difference, it’s all I ever ran.
Some AWD system are really great and some not so much. Not personally knowing anyone with a MDX I wasn't sure, but I can see now that will work out well.

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
Some AWD system are really great and some not so much. Not personally knowing anyone with a MDX I wasn't sure, but I can see now that will work out well.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
The best part for me was seeing it go though the mud and up that hill which I'm sure was slick with mud and water. The going over the rough dry stuff where he got one wheel in the air is cool to see, but I'd never encounter that! Thanks for the video!

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Well the MDX just checked another box. My wife likes it. Her comment getting into it today was "wow this is a really nice car". And then, part way home after we'd bought groceries in town she was going on about how we should take it on the next overnight trip. Yes, she'd like to see me keep it. And yes we are going to keep it, since I've decided I like it as well. 19.7 MPG was what I figured at the pumps today, and I filled her with mid-grade so we'll find out if it's allergic to that.

So now I need to clean up the Jeep and see what I can get for it. I put a tranny in the Jeep last fall, without looking I think it's got less than 5K on it. So if I could at least recover the 2K for the tranny I'd be happy.

C10_Blackie

Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I had a grey 2001 MDX with the tech package until 2020. There was actually nothing wrong with the car when I decided to replace it, but it seemed like a good time to buy (like a month before prices turned out to skyrocket) and I wanted to take advantage of modern safety features.

What did I get as a replacement?

A grey 2020 MDX with the tech package.
:-|

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Looks like I'm just a little past 2 weeks of ownership, so thought I'd give an update.

Though I love driving my square, the MDX will make a fine commuter and more. A car as would typically be used for a commuter vehicle is totally inappropriate for my life style, but it's quite clear that the MDX will fit in well. And it's quite a bit more comfortable than the Jeep.

I've run though a couple tanks of gas and manually checking mileage puts it in the low 19's for MPG.

Sooo. Like any new to the fleet vehicle, there's a list of things that should be done to it, albeit it's a short list, especially for a vehicle that came to me for free.

I've had a couple of cold start issues, where on the first try it cranked and did not fire, but on the second try fired right up. This could be a couple of issues but our record shows it hasn't had a set of plugs in about 70K, so I've got a set and will install them this weekend. That may well not be the issue, but I want to put a fresh set in anyhow, so we'll see if that does the trick.

The power steering makes a little bit of whining when it's cold and it'll pulse slightly when turning in a parking lot. That's 99% of the time a bad o-ring on the intake side of the power steering pump, which allows a very small amount of air to be sucked into the fluid.

There is an oil filter adaptor block on the side of the engine which is seeping oil a little. Because there is pressure behind that gasket I want to replace it before it goes from bad to worse.

Tires have a bit of inner edge wear so I will have the shop across the street from us align it next week.

There are a couple of dings or stars in the windshield, I need to have my buddy look at it to see if it can be repaired or if it needs to be replaced.

Long term, like maybe next fall I'd like to get new tires. I'd like to get something a little more aggressive, like an AT. My preferred AT tire is the General Grabber ATX, (I've even got them on the wife's minivan), but they don't make them in the right size for the MDX, but my second choice the Falken Wildpeaks are. The Wildpeaks are not quite as aggressive as the Grabbers, and actually that might be a good thing for preserving the ride and fuel economy of the MDX.

Really a pretty short list for a used rig with 200K, let alone a free rig!

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Did the spark plugs today. To early to drink, but it would be a 1 whiskey and coke job or 1 beer, for you beer drinkers. About 45 minutes, and since it is a V6 a guy could get in 2 drinks. Do the back plugs drink a whiskey and coke, get a refill and do the front ones. The old plugs look just fine.

You must be registered for see images attach

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Did the spark plugs today. To early to drink, but it would be a 1 whiskey and coke job or 1 beer, for you beer drinkers. About 45 minutes, and since it is a V6 a guy could get in 2 drinks. Do the back plugs drink a whiskey and coke, get a refill and do the front ones. The old plugs look just fine.

Nice!
On both accounts. Old ones look healthy and not difficult to replace.

Dryriver1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
1984, 1999,
Truck Model
1984 Chevy Silverado K10, 1999 Chevy 2 door Tahoe 4x4
Engine Size
350 cid, 5.7

Congratulations Rob!!!
As everyone has mentioned here I too agree "that is a great score"!

Oh just one quick note if you are not going to drink because it is too early, quit spilling the whiskey and coke I saw there in the picture by the plugs.... lol That is a NO, NO! :cheers:

Be well and stay safe out there.
Best wishes to you and all your loved ones always!

Dryriver1

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Nice!
On both accounts. Old ones look healthy and not difficult to replace.
One of my-self rules is that I won't own anything I find to be to big of a PIA to work on. If I felt that way about the MDX it would have had a for sale sign in the window right off. For me, I sometimes can really enjoy working on my own rigs, but on the flip side sometimes I need the vehicle ASAP and so less PIA to work on vehicles is my thing.

I probably could have left the old plugs in there for the rest of their term. Acura recommends replacing them every 105K and they are iridium. But anytime I buy (or in this case are given) a vehicle I like to do full tune up, fluids, filters, (belts and hoses if they seem at all questionable) to me it just kind of sets a baseline for continued service and knowing where maintenance is at. Of course have the service records on file at the shop from 70K to present helps a bunch.
Congratulations Rob!!!
As everyone has mentioned here I too agree "that is a great score"!

Oh just one quick note if you are not going to drink because it is too early, quit spilling the whiskey and coke I saw there in the picture by the plugs.... lol That is a NO, NO! :cheers:

Be well and stay safe out there.
Best wishes to you and all your loved ones always!

Dryriver1
LOL, it was dripping rain and I was doing it outside on the farm! Best wishes back at ya!

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
I have some work orders left from my shop down town and a file cabinet, also. Whenever I work on any rig, I just write up an order on it with the name, date and mileage and what work is done and a Parts list. File it and I have all the records I need. Also what ever pertinent information is added, too. The mind doesn't seem to be that reliable any more, so this is a great help!!

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I have some work orders left from my shop down town and a file cabinet, also. Whenever I work on any rig, I just write up an order on it with the name, date and mileage and what work is done and a Parts list. File it and I have all the records I need. Also what ever pertinent information is added, too. The mind doesn't seem to be that reliable any more, so this is a great help!!
I've never had a very good memory so I keep one of those small pocket sized spiral bound note pads in each vehicle that I write the date, mileage and service performed on. I keep it in the glove box. That's actually something my Dad taught me to do when I was a wee lad.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
It's time for some updates! About a month of so ago we took the MDX on a weekend trip to Bellingham, about 100 miles from home, so not very far really. It did ok. We had some issues having enough space inside for 2 adults and 2 great danes.

Last weekend we took a trip to Clarkston, Wa. Right on the boarder of Idaho next to Lewiston, where my Uncle once owned a nursery. So I wanted to show my wife around Lewiston, and take her up to some of the look out points and the best one I knew we'd need the AWD. But how would we feel after 6 hours there a full day in the MDX tooling around, and another 6 hours back home.... Two days before the trip I got an inspiration I pulled out the back seat and built this.

I bought the dog barrier obviously. The "floor" is T-111. The legs are 2X4's. With a 2X2 across the top to both strengthen the setup and to keep the dog barrier from sliding off. This worked out VERY well. No more huge stack of stuff behind the seat, with the dogs stepping all over it. And the space under the shelf is plenty of room for both our bags, plus a few other things. Leaving the space behind the seat for a cooler, a few snacks, and whatever else, jackets and raincoats for this last trip. This weekend I'm going to pull the shelf out and carpet wrap it so it looks good. I've only got black carpet on hand, but with the floor mats being black, and I have a black liner for the rear that's not in the MDX when the picture was taken, I think it'll look good, certainly better than the unfinished boards. I'll post pics after I get it done.

There is actually a third row seat in the MDX so I may cut a longer board and pull that seat out to which would make nearly all (except the back 8") a big cavern under the board in which stuff could be stored for trips.

Below: was taken at the hotel in Clarkston when we were headed out, you can tell we'd been off the pavement. I still had to use the "bag" style roof rack to put the dog crate in, but I'd like to split the crate into two shorter crates so those can be slid under the seat making the roof carrier unneeded for most trips anyway.

So this SUV that I took only because it was free and in VERY good condition, and I thought I'd never really like, has fit in SO well to the fleet and the family. At this point I do really like it, not for it's style at all but for it's fit in the family and function. Also mangled 22mpg on the highway. Bet that goes up a little without the roof carrier. It most certainly will be the trip vehicle from this point on.

So she's staying for sure. So today at work I did all the gear fluids, plus an engine oil change. The rear diff with VTM-4 fluid, the transfer case with 80W90 and the transmission with Honda fluid. I actually drained and filled the transmission fluid 3 times. It was a little on the brown side. Not terrible but that stuff needs to go since she's hanging around. The technique is dump the fluid, fill it, run it on the rack for 10 -15 minutes, making sure it spends time in all the gears and then doing it again. Maybe not quite as thorough as using a power flush machine, but certain much safer. I'll check the trans fluid at the next oil change and see if it needs to be done one more time. Oh, also hit the car wash.

Oh, and remember I was questioning the AWD earlier. No won't be questioning it anymore, it's certainly a capable vehicle. Going up a steep gravel / dirt road to a lookout, it was curvy and the speeds we slow. We came around the corner to be greeted with that slippery clay like mud that is so common in that area. Hit that and I could feel the wheels start to slip. Shifted into 2nd, hit the VTM-4 button and proceeded the rest of the way up the hill without any fuss.

Yup she's a keeper. Next up will be flushing the green coolant out. It's suppose to have a no silicate coolant like the asian blue in it, but obviously does not. I did a timing belt and water pump on it, so I want to protect that new pump. Also will do a thermostat and hoses on it at the same time. Hopefully I'll have the money by this fall to put a little bit more aggressive tires on it than it has right now. Hopefully I'll get to finish that floor / shelf thing this weekend, and I'll post pics of the finished project.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Ok carpet wrap for the floor board is done, check it out. I didn't have any tan on hand so I went with black. Given the black mats in the car I think it's ok.

Here it is freshly done. I glued the carpet to the board with DAP contact cement, wrapped it around to the underside and stapled it.
Underside:

Topside:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag