intake Manifolds

would you run edelbrock or holley?

• edelbrock

Votes: 40 74.1%
  • holley

Votes: 14 25.9%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

79K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
I tore down the old 350 today, pulled the alternator, air pump, carb, distributor, unbolted the valve covers...damn those intake bolts are a PITA, front ones came out real easy but the mids and backs are being a btch, ill have to leave it till morning.
its been a while since i tore one down this far but it needs to be refreshed right? got to at least have it look clean.

I picked up an edelbrock performer for 40 off CL, good reason to break out the wrenches... last truck i ran an edelbrock performer intake with a holley double pumper...summit cam and headers, thing ran hard!

What carb and intake setup are you using? how about some motor pics?

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

johnmc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 10
Engine Size
305 tuneport injected
that carb and intake will be nice for you.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I have the Performer carb, intake and cam/lifter kit on mine, it ran great when it was new. I have totally ragged that engine though, but it still has plenty of get-up and go!
picture.php

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'll run Holley or Eddy manifolds, they both work well. Make my carb a Holley though. I've had Eddy carbs before and I'm just not that happy with them. Seems like they all tend to run rich at idle and lean at the top end.

79K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
im looking forward to it. i had a holley carb on my last motor with and edelbrock intake and it ran great.
edelbrock carb seems ok, although it had a slight issue with dieseling untill i turned both screws in a little... its gonna be fun dialing this motor in with the new intake. exhaust is still up in the air, my oem exhaust took a hit from the front drive line and is smashed in pretty good... options are some hedman headers or cherry bombs. i found a full exhaust on CL for 150 but im not there yet, and if i run the cherrys itll be free

79K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350

intake was a PITA! the bolt by the egr was burried in crap, i had to use a screw driver and hammer to chip it away

79K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
finally got some time to work on the truck,,,

i did two coats of clear, im hoping that does it

Last edited:

GOBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Edelbrock intake and Id try to get a Holley carb.

Ive got a World products intake on mine right now but its basically a performer rpm....

When you get to exhaust youll notice a difference with the intake on there. Then youll need a cam kit to match!

79K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
Edelbrock intake and Id try to get a Holley carb.

Ive got a World products intake on mine right now but its basically a performer rpm....

When you get to exhaust youll notice a difference with the intake on there. Then youll need a cam kit to match!

youre right... i had an edelbrock cam kit but i traded it away thinking id never end up using it... maybe ill go a little more wild now..

got the intake on there, gasket was a bitch, used a bead of rtv instead of the rubber, its in there!!
getting the old intake off was the biggest bitch ive ever dealt with, one of the bolts was burried in carbon and oil and dirt, i had to littlerally chisel off the crap...

im really hoping the intake is on there right. i forgot to rtv the water jacket bolts but ill go back and do it if it seaps

cant wait to get the carb and valve covers on there, the chrome is gonna look awesome
im pretty happy with progress today.

Last edited:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Just a word of advice...lay all of your intake manifold bolts out, and make sure they are all the same length, and if not, make sure you use the shortest bolts on the center of the intake to keep from running them into the pushrods.

79K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
good advice thanks. Mine were all the same. biggest pain was the gasket not staying but i was able to pull it to the right spot and after that all the bolts went right in.

oh and i used just a bead of rtv instead of the rubber strips, i just hope it was enough and still seals with the gasket moving an all

GOBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
good advice thanks. Mine were all the same. biggest pain was the gasket not staying but i was able to pull it to the right spot and after that all the bolts went right in.

oh and i used just a bead of rtv instead of the rubber strips, i just hope it was enough and still seals with the gasket moving an all

Them lil rubber strips with the gasket set................ throw em in the trash every time. ALWAYS use a bead of RTV on front and back sides. A good continuous one. If you stop to get a better grip on the tube make sure you mush the strips together. Dont make it too thick cause then it'll be the hardest thing you ever did if/when you take the intake off again.

You dont have to use RTV around the water jackets or on the bolts but you can put a little silicone on your finger and rub it around the front and back of the gaskets around the water jackets. Itll also help hold the gasket in place while your droppin the intake on.

Looks good tho. No emissions for that truck in Cali?

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I use ONLY edelbrock carbs. very simple to use and tune.

intake I'll run anything, weiand, holley, edelbrock whatever.

As for your chrome paint it may not hold up due to heat. I used engine enamel silver on mine. As for the rtv end seal trick, never used it or tried it I always use the rubber end seals. I do dab the croners, top and bottom of the rubber seals, and I do and have rtv'd the water jackets and such.

The bolts IMo is a MUST!!!!!!!!! if not oil seeps up thru them and lays in the intake, ruining your paintjob or just looking bad in general.

79K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
I use ONLY edelbrock carbs. very simple to use and tune.

intake I'll run anything, weiand, holley, edelbrock whatever.

As for your chrome paint it may not hold up due to heat. I used engine enamel silver on mine. As for the rtv end seal trick, never used it or tried it I always use the rubber end seals. I do dab the croners, top and bottom of the rubber seals, and I do and have rtv'd the water jackets and such.

The bolts IMo is a MUST!!!!!!!!! if not oil seeps up thru them and lays in the intake, ruining your paintjob or just looking bad in general.

i can deal with pulling out the bolts and rtv ing them but what about the little metal heat restrictors? i blocked one side but forgot the other. will i be ok?

GOBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Ive never had oil seep thru my intake bolts. Ive had water seep thru the external head bolts on the lower side of the head tho.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajiuo666