intake Manifolds

would you run edelbrock or holley?

• edelbrock

Votes: 40 74.1%
  • holley

Votes: 14 25.9%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yea the directions on those restrictor plates tell you what ones get blocked on what motor.

basically if one or both are open it helps in cold weather to arm up the air fuel charge, and carb, but in hot conditions of course it's bad, and neither or only one gets left open like.

I never had water leaks that I know of other then the t-stat but maybe they were seepage from the bolts? I know for sure I've ad oil seepage though on the 4 middle bolts usually.

GOBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Yeah the lower head bolts, the ones by the exhaust manifolds, go directly into the water jacket in the block. New bolts usually dont leak but older ones (when you dont buy new ones after a gasket change like your suppose to) they will leak sometimes. Usually not tho. I dont think the bolts on the t stat go into the actual water passage, nor do the intake bolts on all 4 corners go into a water passage. I know the middle intake bolts go straight thru into the lifter valley tho. One wrap with white teflon tape should do the trick on those.

79K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
Yeah the lower head bolts, the ones by the exhaust manifolds, go directly into the water jacket in the block. New bolts usually dont leak but older ones (when you dont buy new ones after a gasket change like your suppose to) they will leak sometimes. Usually not tho. I dont think the bolts on the t stat go into the actual water passage, nor do the intake bolts on all 4 corners go into a water passage. I know the middle intake bolts go straight thru into the lifter valley tho. One wrap with white teflon tape should do the trick on those.

well i think ill leave em for now, if i see anything coming up ill seal em up... next thing i think ill do is get my distributor back in, seems like it might be better to do it before the carb?

Ill have to find TDC again, trick i use is pulling the plug, sticking my finger on it and cranking the motor. 2nd strong push of air will be valves closed, ill start there.

little worried about not using high temp paint on the intake, no clue how long it will last for if at all. i cleared it too so hopefully it doesnt melt right away

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
clear won't help it's the intake temp that makes it mess up. You may be fine. Just have to wait and see. I've had reg. paint be ok for awhile, then I've had high temp/engine enamel last for only a little bit and mess up too.

As for them outer head bolts never had it happen but I have heard of it. After you explained it I remember hearing about it, but yea teflon tape works. Should work good on the oil seepage bolts too.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
i can deal with pulling out the bolts and rtv ing them but what about the little metal heat restrictors? i blocked one side but forgot the other. will i be ok?

I am sure it will be fine, I did not even install those when I did my intake.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Here's the one I installed:

Edelbrock Performer EPS square bore with a Mr. Gasket phenolic spacer. The carb is a Carter Afb I rebuilt with a edelbrock 1406 kit, it was a craigslist special for 40 bucks. All in all its been a great carb with great performance, easy to tune, easy to rebuild and at one point I was even getting 16mpg in a K1500!

You must be registered for see images attach

79K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
nice! looks clean!

79K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
did a little more work on the k10 this morning... i think its turning out ok...

finally get to use the valve covers ive had on the shelf for a year

this air cleaner or the summit one? i cant decide

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
Summit one looks a lil better with you having the chrome valve covers. IMO

79K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
i was leaning that way too... just looks a little off with trickflow on the valve covers and summit on the air cleaner... oh well, looks 100x times better than the old ****

wagonman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
george
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
Was it necessary to use the carb spacer with the spreadbore manifold? I thought the Eddy carb would bolt up to that Performer..

79K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
Was it necessary to use the carb spacer with the spreadbore manifold? I thought the Eddy carb would bolt up to that Performer..

yeah it would have,ive got the carb plugged where the brake booster would screw in, and the spacer has a hole for the booster line.
i know opinions go both ways but i always thought you got a little more bottom end power with a spacer, that and my brake booster was running into it at the back so i just put it back on that way

here it is.

Last edited:

79K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
I went to bolt down the valve cover on the driver side and discovere the old ac bracket was in the way, bolts were about 1/16" off where I needed em to be. So in stead of getting em bolted I spent my time pulling off the unused bracket, which I wanted to do anyway but had put off... So now the old VC bolts are too short with the cork gasket and pressure spreading deal so I'll be making a trip to autozone soon.
Here's where I'm at on the motor...

Looks way better without the bracket

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I went to bolt down the valve cover on the driver side and discovere the old ac bracket was in the way, bolts were about 1/16" off where I needed em to be. So in stead of getting em bolted I spent my time pulling off the unused bracket, which I wanted to do anyway but had put off... So now the old VC bolts are too short with the cork gasket and pressure spreading deal so I'll be making a trip to autozone soon.
Here's where I'm at on the motor...

Looks way better without the bracket

I dont see where your at on that motor, all I see is a sexy engine!
You may get a little out of the spacer, it increases plenum volume and gives the Air/fuel a little more time to dance around.

79K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
Thanks Jim! its getting there... I have the linkage and all the hoses back on... may be ready to fire up soon, i just need to charge the battery and get the dizzy in there. oh and buy new plug wires, no wonder it wasnt running 100% 2 wires were cooked on the manifolds...
i also just realized my radiator looks like crap, its got all kinds of blueish gray crap all over it, i think it was overheating at one point and spilled all over the place... i have another radiator kicking around but i have no idea on the history or if itll be any better than the one i have now, looks nicer though so i may just swap em while its still empty

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogueakula