Intake layout help needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
I have a friend with a squarebody ('87 I believe) that has been thru several motors. He bought it with a blown engine, put a crate long block in it and is trying to piece together what parts he got with the truck.

Engine was entirely in pieces when he got it.

I know nothing about throttle bodies and thought I'd post some pix and see if you guys can offer some suggestions.
I've never seen anything like the air cleaner on this before. He believes it came from a Chevy Caprice.

Thanks in advance and here's some pix . . .

You must be registered for see images attach

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I’ll attach something to decode the TB casting number to give a slightly better idea of what he’s dealing with. It’s clearly a newer TBI, which you can tell by the second style TPS sensor and two stud setup for an air cleaner lid with two holes. What engine is in his crate long block? If the equipment being used came out of a Caprice, the only year that would have a dual stud TBI should be 1993. If I’m not mistaken, they were single stud before that, and the Caprice went to LT1 in ‘94. Next thing is, is this stuff off a 9C1 (Police) Caprice w/ a 350 or a regular Caprice with a 305? The chart and subsequent decoding should answer that, but if not, the 9C1 injectors have the yellow/brown on them, and they have the number 17084327. I’m guessing that a 1993-95 GMT400 air cleaner will work if he doesn’t have one, but I’m not 100% sure about that. I wouldn’t try to replicate that whole air box thing, just the air cleaner and snorkel. He’ll also need to get and splice on the newer style TPS pigtail if he’s using the ‘87 harness. I’m guessing this is still in progress since there’s no upper rad hose attached. I also see a huge vacuum leak right there at that fitting in the intake. There’s a steel line that’s supposed to go from there to a rubber line that goes into the brake booster filter and then the brake booster. Also, later TBIs got rid of the ESC module and integrated that into the ECM so, as far as I know, they got rid of the carrier that held the ESC module, MAP sensor, and EGR solenoid. He may need to get one of those if he doesn’t have it. I’ll attach the chart, steel vacuum hose for the booster, ‘87 snorkel, and the ESC carrier.

Edit: Didn’t know it was ‘91-‘93, but that makes sense. Still, though. I’d see about the GMT400 breather since the snorkel is pointed in the right direction on that one, and you can theoretically use the factory snorkel tube.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
That's also the wrong thermostat housing for a small block truck.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I believe you're correct that it came from a Caprice. It reminded me of the 1993 Caprice patrol cars we had back in the day. The thermostat housing in the picture is the same as yours. Probably a 91-93 engine. This one said it was a '91 305.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SMC2224