Help needed. Accessory drive bracketry and pulley alignment on 427T.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
So today i finally installed my 427T tall deck industrial in my 81 C30 airport tug..
Now im trying to get my waterpump, alternator, power steering pump, and all my belts amd pulleys installed and lined up.

I have some brackets off the 427 that were on it when i got it. It was out of an 81 c60.
I also have a bunch of brackets off a 1995 GM RV with a 454. The water pump is off the same RV 454.
Power steering pump is an 80s 1 ton hydroboost, with no brackets. Is off the 292 that was in this c30

Now the waterpump and alternator are serpentine style groove, but weren't serpentine. Everything else i have is V belt.

Im hoping to get info from some of you guys, and what its supposed to look like, and what will or wont work on a tall deck, and what is backwards rotation serp style, and what type of whatever thing is better...

Would really love to get some pictures of anyone's setup that has a big block in a squarebody, and what their brackets look like.

Not really sure how helpful this thread will be, but its out there for me to ask stupid questions, haha
Its hard making things fit together that were never meant to go together... please help.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The '95 stuff is serpentine with a reverse rotation pump. Personally, I'd use the '95 setup completely. Or use the original C60 setup, completely. Trying to mix and match is going to cause problems by itself.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
The '95 stuff is serpentine with a reverse rotation pump. Personally, I'd use the '95 setup completely. Or use the original C60 setup, completely. Trying to mix and match is going to cause problems by itself.
Well that engine wasnt serpentine, it was v belt on everything except the alternator which had a flat grooved style belt, but setup like a v belt. Alternator pulls out and tightens it.
And i cant use the c60 stuff entirely, because it had bunch of things i couldn't use, and the water pump was offset up, so it had a super long v belt. The only thing usable off tha setup is a Alternator, but it locates it really far down and over on the passnger side..

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Well that engine wasnt serpentine, it was v belt on everything except the alternator which had a flat grooved style belt, but setup like a v belt. Alternator pulls out and tightens it.
And i cant use the c60 stuff entirely, because it had bunch of things i couldn't use, and the water pump was offset up, so it had a super long v belt. The only thing usable off tha setup is a Alternator, but it locates it really far down and over on the passnger side..

Oh, so perhaps an '85 and not '95? That v-belt setup with ribbed alternator belt was only used through about '88.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Oh, so perhaps an '85 and not '95? That v-belt setup with ribbed alternator belt was only used through about '88.
Nope, he said it was a 95 GM Fleetwood RV.

I know what your thinking, my 86, has the flat ribbed belt for the alternator, and V belt for everything else.
This engine was the same way but sized up.
The 454 in that was TBI, so i know it was 90s.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
This was what was left of the c60 setup, water pump is unusable on this truck unless i went to electric fan.
You must be registered for see images attach

And here are the RV waterpump and alternator. Also wont work because i cant change the 4 groove crank pulley.

Trying to half and half Frankenstein it right now...

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Nope, he said it was a 95 GM Fleetwood RV.

I know what your thinking, my 86, has the flat ribbed belt for the alternator, and V belt for everything else.
This engine was the same way but sized up.
The 454 in that was TBI, so i know it was 90s.

Ok, so you are just trusting what the guy said. TBI started in '87 when that belt setup was still in use. Whether or not the guy was correct in the year, the parts you need to complete the setup are 80's truck parts.

Also, to avoid confusion in the future, it's a "ribbed" style alternator belt. "Serpentine" would imply that it is a belt that drives several accessories with the same belt, utilizing the backside of the belt as well. The factory serpentine belt setups used an entirely different bracketry setup (and water pump) than the older v-belt setups.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I have the same system on my '79, it was from an 80's truck.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Ok, so you are just trusting what the guy said. TBI started in '87 when that belt setup was still in use. Whether or not the guy was correct in the year, the parts you need to complete the setup are 80's truck parts.

Also, to avoid confusion in the future, it's a "ribbed" style alternator belt. "Serpentine" would imply that it is a belt that drives several accessories with the same belt, utilizing the backside of the belt as well. The factory serpentine belt setups used an entirely different bracketry setup (and water pump) than the older v-belt setups.
Well, he owned the thing for 20 years, so id assume he knew the year, haha.
I Pulled the parts off it, i saw it in person. It looked like this....

Belt setup was exactly like this.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8

That alternator, looks like the same one in my 86, i recognize that style.

Any chance you could get a pic of that power steering pump and bracket...

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve

Im sorry this is off topic but I Love those valve covers! I have some cheap stamped chrome on my big block now but recently picked up some like yours to restore. What intake do you have?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Well, he owned the thing for 20 years, so id assume he knew the year, haha.
I Pulled the parts off it, i saw it in person. It looked like this....

Belt setup was exactly like this.

I didn't think the RV chassis would have used that setup for so long, but I obviously had my doubts lol. You never know what owners might say though. I don't know how many customers that came into the shop over the years were off on their vehicles' year by a decade or two. Hell, my current boss has a boat that he bought new in the 90's. Not long ago, he insisted it was powered by a Ford 351... but it has a Chevy 350 in it, lol.

That alternator, looks like the same one in my 86, i recognize that style.

Any chance you could get a pic of that power steering pump and bracket...

The alternator is just like any other 12si, just with a 5-rib pulley. Yeah, I can get some pictures of it. Iirc, the lower bracket is just like what was used in the 70's too. I can compare that as well... because they may work fine with the 80's pulleys.

Im sorry this is off topic but I Love those valve covers! I have some cheap stamped chrome on my big block now but recently picked up some like yours to restore. What intake do you have?

It's an old Weiand that's meant for the peanut port heads.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
I didn't think the RV chassis would have used that setup for so long, but I obviously had my doubts lol. You never know what owners might say though. I don't know how many customers that came into the shop over the years were off on their vehicles' year by a decade or two. Hell, my current boss has a boat that he bought new in the 90's. Not long ago, he insisted it was powered by a Ford 351... but it has a Chevy 350 in it, lol.

The alternator is just like any other 12si, just with a 5-rib pulley. Yeah, I can get some pictures of it. Iirc, the lower bracket is just like what was used in the 70's too. I can compare that as well... because they may work fine with the 80's pulleys.

It's an old Weiand that's meant for the peanut port heads.
Yeah i was surprised when i saw it too, but i know what i saw, haha.
If it was actual serpentine, i wouldn't habe trying to use any of it, but i think im safe.

And yeah i know what you mean, i had a guy come over wanting me to work on his toyota truck. He swore up and down it was a 78, and hes had that truck for like 15 years.
As soon as he pulled up, i was like no way is that a 78, thats an 88. He said nope, a 78.
I pulled opened the the glove box, says date of manufacture 1988.
He was so blow away, i never knew that. I dont know how he didnt know, but oh well.

And my friend has a squarbody c10 that hes been calling a 88 for ever, but its a half ton square with a carburetor (and not a Mexican one either). I ran the vin, sure enough, 1986.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
I think i figured it out today. Stole some parts from everything i had, and mixmatched some things. Got 3 pulleys and a bracket that seem to line up pretty decent. Might tweak the alternator bracket and add some spacers, but for now it works pretty well. I even found a belt in all my garage that fits pretty well. What are the Chances, haha.

The second groove on the water pump and crank line up great, im hoing the PS will line up on those.

Now to just figure out the ps pump...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey