starter rebuilding - advice needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrdap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
C/K_Lover
Truck Year
81-91
Truck Model
C20/K30/V15/V2500
Engine Size
350/454
Also I would suggest (if it hasn't been mentioned already) you check out the unit repair manual for your your vehicle or any year close to it.
There should be detailed procedures for rebuilding starters, alternators and other units.
It might even be available online in the research section of this forum.
Good luck with your starter!

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I have been using a starter that the 1997 Tahoe 350 uses on all my Chevy engines with the large flywheel 168 tooth , that most use . They have a reduction gear and are very reasonably on line . Just put one on my GMC works great .
Thanks, maybe someone else that comes along can use that bit of advice, as mention before I do not want to got to a mini or vortec starter which is what you are talking about, I'm aware folks do it, but I won't be one of them.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Some of you know life happened to us last Wednesday. I still want to do this project and my intent is to do it at the shop in my free time, but I'm not really sure when. It could start as soon as tomorrow or it might be a month or more. I'll be sure to post when I get rolling with it.

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
Hey rob, I didn't read everything but I have built lots of starters, really easy, mostly cleanup. However on occasion, the armature will need to be turned as it is grooved where the brushes ride, then the grooves will need cleaned no biggie, just a careful scraper job. Also you may consider buying the spray for the wires, on the armature.

good site:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod