Cracked windshield

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
also I could see urethane being at a disadvantage in a truck like these especially if you arent using a chassis cab/1 ton kinda thing. Flex would probably separate the bonds, this would be worsened by cabs in less than perfect condition (LOL)

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
One would have to be a pro to not make a complete mess with any sealers or fillers when installing these windshields.
And while my windshield had some black goo (cured) around the frame to gasket lip when I removed it, I didn’t use any sealer reinstalling it.
So far no leaks. Been sprayed down a few times, couple rain storms and washed once. No leaks yet!

if anything would be needed it would be between the frame and gasket.
Would be virtually impossible to leak between the glass and gasket.
I know Mike installed my windshield with no sealant. The only reason I can see to use sealant would be if the windshield channel frame is rusted and pitted. It that case I could see sealant (between the gasket and metal channel only) being helpful, if a proper repair is not going to happen.

I'd think if sealants were necessary you and I would know given how much it rains around here. My truck is outside 24/7, and does not leak.

Randy and Easton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 LWB
Engine Size
Todd,

We had a problem with a Precision one piece self sealing windshield gasket. Bad fit in upper corners, leaked like crazy. As stated above and same comment from Jeff Gau at Precision its recommended to seal gasket to pinch weld before installing glass AND sealing just inside the seal and the glass. We had water coming through from the lower corners, between glass and gasket into cab. It was a pain. Finally pulled it and got another gasket from a local glass guy (two piece) and sealed it between body and gasket and glass and gasket. Had several multi inch rains since and we are finally dry.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
^One piece as in with the built in lock strip?
If so, I could see that potentially. The lock strips on those ones don’t put as much pressure on the seal.
@SirRobyn0 yes sealant for sure if patching up holes or rust or missing window channel.
Guess I really can’t give too much experience as the blue truck is a garage queen…. I have allowed it out to play in the rain occasionally though! Lol

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@Grit dog It maybe a garage queen but if you guys run it in the rain, then there is still opportunity. When I got my truck the windshield was cracked and it was leaking water into the cab horribly. I really thought it was going to be the cab seal in the cowl. So one day I removed the cowling and other than some shrinkage and minor cracking it looked ok. I'm not saying this is best at all but I proceeded to paint the seal with flex seal with the thought that it might help keep it water tight.

When Mike went to remove the windshield I was expecting carnage and was ready to rebuild the channel, but no it must not have leaked for all that long. There was some surface rust which was cleaned up with a wire wheel on an angle grinder, painted with a rust converter and new windshield went in.

I have no idea what type or brand of seal Mike used. I've used him for enough years that I follow his lead on all glass stuff. There are VERY few people I trust like that.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@SirRobyn0 if it doesn’t leak that’s the important part!
It’s a testament how good of condition your truck is if there was no real rust around the windshield or back window.
My cowl seam was all cracked open too but nothing leaking in the cab and no evidence of it under the old carpet. I sprayed it full of spray bomb bed liner. Looked great and a week later the seam was cracked again. Cheap low solids goop!
I burned up the rest of the first tube of seam sealer on it after I redid the bed seams. It should be so

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
thats good. it also helps gaskets have come a long way(seals as well) so that they arent as likely to dry up or migrate water between surfaces. How does the windshield retain , fastener blocks?
Taylor, the rubber gasket is all that retains the windshield and same for the rear cab glass. The locking strip, either one piece or the original style two piece, locks the the rubber gasket to the pinch weld. No sealant of any kind was used on the original factory install. What also could be used when the origin glass was installed, was a lubricating grease. When the original glass would be removed a residue of dried grease might be present giving the appearance of dried out sealant.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@SirRobyn0 if it doesn’t leak that’s the important part!
It’s a testament how good of condition your truck is if there was no real rust around the windshield or back window.
My cowl seam was all cracked open too but nothing leaking in the cab and no evidence of it under the old carpet. I sprayed it full of spray bomb bed liner. Looked great and a week later the seam was cracked again. Cheap low solids goop!
I burned up the rest of the first tube of seam sealer on it after I redid the bed seams. It should be so
If I'm 100% honest I'm a little concerned about what might be under the carpet. Pans look ok from underneath, but the carpet is in terrible shape. I need to do something with that it looks like chit, you and I talked a bit about it like a year ago in another thread, but it's the worst part of the interior. I did peel back some of the carpet and it looked fine, so it might just be fine. The thing is I can trace this truck back to the mid-90's when my friend bought this truck, (only I wouldn't meet him until the mid-2000's). It's never been garaged, except for when it was in storage in the last two years of his life. Until I brought it up here in 2018, it spent it's life in Beaverton, Oregon. So all of this is basically to say I think it's also a testament to what taking care of the truck can do for it's longevity.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Taylor, the rubber gasket is all that retains the windshield and same for the rear cab glass. The locking strip, either one piece or the original style two piece, locks the the rubber gasket to the pinch weld. No sealant of any kind was used on the original factory install. What also could be used when the origin glass was installed, was a lubricating grease. When the original glass would be removed a residue of dried grease might be present giving the appearance of dried out sealant.
Oh, it sits in the flange ? I guess that amount of surface area works out , but I know that that woulndt work out when there isnt a flange like that. tbh urethane makes sense then between either glass and the seal or seal and the body but not both . lock in one side for strength and retention and denying a path for leaks, and then the other sides weight and pressure keep the seal.. sealing..

that makes sense to me at least

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
If I'm 100% honest I'm a little concerned about what might be under the carpet. Pans look ok from underneath, but the carpet is in terrible shape. I need to do something with that it looks like chit, you and I talked a bit about it like a year ago in another thread, but it's the worst part of the interior. I did peel back some of the carpet and it looked fine, so it might just be fine. The thing is I can trace this truck back to the mid-90's when my friend bought this truck, (only I wouldn't meet him until the mid-2000's). It's never been garaged, except for when it was in storage in the last two years of his life. Until I brought it up here in 2018, it spent it's life in Beaverton, Oregon. So all of this is basically to say I think it's also a testament to what taking care of the truck can do for it's longevity.
ever have any evidence of leaks or bad door seal? Or leave window down for weeks?

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

That was my point recently. Your truck is a prime example of how gentle the wet side PNW climate is on vehicles. Even though it hasn’t been garaged for 30+ years, just a little care has maintained a vehicle that would make every GMSB forum member from the rust belt squirt in their pants if they found one like that anywhere in Minnetucky.
Regarding your floor pans. There’s. Great chance they are 100% solid still.
However you should tell your wife Xmas is right around the corner, today is cyber Monday and new molded carpet kits or rubber liners are like $150 with free shipping. And they make a nice impressive size gift box under the tree!
(She could even put a bow tie hood ornament on it for a bow if you have her call me. Lol. Cheers!)

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Oh, it sits in the flange ? I guess that amount of surface area works out , but I know that that woulndt work out when there isnt a flange like that. tbh urethane makes sense then between either glass and the seal or seal and the body but not both . lock in one side for strength and retention and denying a path for leaks, and then the other sides weight and pressure keep the seal.. sealing..

that makes sense to me at least
If you ever take one apart or more accurately install one, it will make sense that sealant should not be needed anywhere in the equation. Barring what was posted earlier to fix another issue like corrosion or damage to the cab.

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
that lower corner looks awesome. Got a pic of the other side lower corner? Someone above posted a pic and their corner looked like mine on both sides. Mine is leaking and has caused rust in the floor pan. We'll see if I've got insurance to cover it as I have a crack or 2 and a chip.

Thanks
@Camar068, what in the lower corner are you wanting to see? Plugged up pinch weld, cleaned up pinch weld, or installed gasket in the corner? Also, which side?

I do have some other pictures, but I want to understand what you're asking for first.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
That was my point recently. Your truck is a prime example of how gentle the wet side PNW climate is on vehicles. Even though it hasn’t been garaged for 30+ years, just a little care has maintained a vehicle that would make every GMSB forum member from the rust belt squirt in their pants if they found one like that anywhere in Minnetucky.
Regarding your floor pans. There’s. Great chance they are 100% solid still.
However you should tell your wife Xmas is right around the corner, today is cyber Monday and new molded carpet kits or rubber liners are like $150 with free shipping. And they make a nice impressive size gift box under the tree!
(She could even put a bow tie hood ornament on it for a bow if you have her call me. Lol. Cheers!)
While I've never lived anywhere other than the PNW I've traveled enough to see the carnage! IDK about getting her to buy truck parts for Christmas though....

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
While I've never lived anywhere other than the PNW I've traveled enough to see the carnage! IDK about getting her to buy truck parts for Christmas though....
It was semi in jest. New tools are never off the table as valid gifts though!
(But you probably own 3 of every tool you’d need…lol)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84