Cracked windshield

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
My truck was covered in snow. Cleaned it off and headed to work. Didn't notice if there was a Crack or not but when I left work there it was. Anyone know if they make the windshields with the antennas anymore? And where is a good place to get a windshield? Local glass shop or someplace online?

You must be registered for see images attach

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
They still make them. Safelight replaced my window last summer but I opted for the one without the antenna in it. Given the supply chain disaster, I can't guess how hard it will be to find one at the moment?

crpntr78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Whatever you do, don't go to Safelight. It took 2 different guys 4 windshields to finally get one right put in my truck. I would not have used them at all but it was an insurance job from a road overlay outfit that used too big of gravel on the road.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Whatever you do, don't go to Safelight. It took 2 different guys 4 windshields to finally get one right put in my truck. I would not have used them at all but it was an insurance job from a road overlay outfit that used too big of gravel on the road.
They are one of hte biggest names out there unless you are talking about a location i think thats slightly an over generalization of a nation wide company

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The windshields with antennas still seem readily available from a 30 second google search.
Interested to know what the "right" way to reinstall these windshields is. I've gotta reinstall mine here soon (hopefully, lol). I see some methods where they use sealant between the gasket and cab window frame. Some use sealant between the window and gasket. Some both, some neither. Mine had black goo between the gasket and window frame lip (not consistent though) and none between the window and gasket. My window didn't leak prior to removing it.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Just my experiance: I had mine replaced by a safelight location or maybe speedy glass... I don't remember. But they used the incorrect gasket. They glued the gasket to the truck and then glued the windshield to the gasket (how newer vehicles are done I guess). It basically rained inside the cab with that, and when I confronted them about it they refused to do anything other then replace it again on my dime.

I then found a small business glass guy, All American Auto glass in Hillsboro Or. He did the job right, faster and cheaper. As long as he is in business, and I live here, I won't be going anywhere else.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Do it yourself. Simple and easy to do. I would recommend a new gasket as well.

Plus you will see if there is any damage to the window channel from water sitting there.

This...

will look like this with the gasket and windshield removed...

In which you need to do this plus some clean up on the inside of the body...

and weld in a new piece and install the new gasket and windshield...

Last edited:

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI

Plus you will see if there is any damage to the window channel from water sitting there.

This...

I have to do similar to my 78 k10. The right corner has a rust spot.
Cut a section from a 77 c10 and will weld in. Also bought a new gasket.
The video skims over some details but essential what I did to replace my k5 glass last year. Like he mentions, need to push the seal into the corners really well. I used foam glass spray. Never tried the silicone stuff.

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
What ever you do, do not let any glass monkey use urethane on your front glass. There is a drain hole at the bottom of each corner. If the urethane them shut the pictures above will be even worse. When I pulled my glass I found urethane from the last glass I had installed and BIG ASS holes that had to be repaired.
Eric

crpntr78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
They are one of hte biggest names out there unless you are talking about a location i think thats slightly an over generalization of a nation wide company
Yep, the same company.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Just my experiance: I had mine replaced by a safelight location or maybe speedy glass... I don't remember. But they used the incorrect gasket. They glued the gasket to the truck and then glued the windshield to the gasket (how newer vehicles are done I guess). It basically rained inside the cab with that, and when I confronted them about it they refused to do anything other then replace it again on my dime.

I then found a small business glass guy, All American Auto glass in Hillsboro Or. He did the job right, faster and cheaper. As long as he is in business, and I live here, I won't be going anywhere else.
I feel like sealing the window in to the gasket is not correct. Also make future removal very difficult. As far as gasket to window frame, I’m on the fence about that.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

This...

Looks just about like my otherwise 100% rust free 86. I cut at least a half dozen rotten spots out and booger welded several small spots. Turned a couple into extra drain holes along the bottom edge, lol. (There was actually small rust holes symmetrical from each side. Figure if water like to sit there it should be a drain, actually was tired of welding up patches and a 1/2” drill bit fixed it in 2 minutes!) Including both bottom corners like your pics.
One thing I found, is I assumed when I bought the truck (I spotted some of the damage peeking out from under the gasket.) was that the holes in my roof for the visor had caused leaks and hence the rust.
They did not cause the rust. In every area, the rust started from the outside and worked its way in.
That is good news as there was no hidden soon to be issues.
I also sprayed a can of that Eastwood chassis rust paint stuff with the little hose and nozzle around the entire inside of the frame.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

The Safelite glass of 20+ years ago had an extremely high tendency to crack in the summer heat.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Had mine replaced 2 years ago. I have a local glass guy, a one man operation. If you can find a local company instead of a national chain I think you'd have better luck especially with one of our old rigs. Plus you'll be supporting a local business. If you didn't live across the county I'd send you his info.....

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
The Safelite glass of 20+ years ago had an extremely high tendency to crack in the summer heat.
luckily my trucks glass's issues are fixable just barely I think with epoxy kits. One hail mark may be approaching too large or on the larger end, but i think its salvageable yet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL