Cracked windshield

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
Do it yourself. Simple and easy to do. I would recommend a new gasket as well.

Plus you will see if there is any damage to the window channel from water sitting there.

This...

You must be registered for see images attach

will look like this with the gasket and windshield removed...

In which you need to do this plus some clean up on the inside of the body...

and weld in a new piece and install the new gasket and windshield...

Yup. Mine looks like that on both sides. Guess I'll have to wait until I get a house with a garage so I can do the repairs.

86c10twotone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Do it yourself. Simple and easy to do. I would recommend a new gasket as well.

Plus you will see if there is any damage to the window channel from water sitting there.

This...

will look like this with the gasket and windshield removed...

In which you need to do this plus some clean up on the inside of the body...

and weld in a new piece and install the new gasket and windshield...

Just did mine and it’s definitely not an easy job LOL especially with the new rubber and new lock strip

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Whatever you do, don't go to Safelight. It took 2 different guys 4 windshields to finally get one right put in my truck. I would not have used them at all but it was an insurance job from a road overlay outfit that used too big of gravel on the road.
Don't blame Safelight. The tech replaced mine in less than an hour and mounted my 2001n Silverado electronic mirror. Every industry has new technicians and old pros.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
luckily my trucks glass's issues are fixable just barely I think with epoxy kits. One hail mark may be approaching too large or on the larger end, but i think its salvageable yet.
If it weren't for glass you wouldn't have a truck. lol

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
^^^Ouch!

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
That's harsh, but it is funny. My '85 is often on the end of very similar jokes.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Whatever you do, don't go to Safelight. It took 2 different guys 4 windshields to finally get one right put in my truck. I would not have used them at all but it was an insurance job from a road overlay outfit that used too big of gravel on the road.

Don't blame Safelight. The tech replaced mine in less than an hour and mounted my 2001n Silverado electronic mirror. Every industry has new technicians and old pros.
We all have different experiences, sometimes with the same company especially a national company that might run a little different from place to place. My Safelite stories... Well here they are the most expensive. Early on I had two safelite windshields leak, This was not in my square, but in my 85 Celebrity I had years ago. They resealed the first one twice then installed a second, then I had another company install a third windshield that never leaked. To bad the constant moisture destroyed my headliner so had to replace that. Final straw was my wife's car at the time. Tech came and broke two windshields trying to install them, a third tech came two days later and installed a windshield successfully and it did not leak, but was a hugely inconvenient not only in not being able to drive the car, but in lost wages from having to take time off work to be at home for them.

Now look I get it things happen, and I don't have problem with those issue per say I have a problem with how the company handled them. I'm in the repair business and if I make a mistake on a customers car that cost them time or money I at least try to do something nice for them to hopefully make them feel better about it, ie money back or even just a small credit for future work. Something anything would have been nice... But with Safelite I got verbal apologize and nothing else.

They maybe a totally different now those experiences were 20 or more years ago but that has left a taste in my mouth, and it isn't whiskey.....

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
now, now, I have the collective remains of about 2.6 square bodies if you total all the useable/good together, and that is funnily looking better for the 78 frame than the 80 truck lol

with my realization of what it means for my front axle since.. well... I put the wrong count spline and size shaft in it...

Its just more and more distance between being able to enjoy the square and the dread of all the ***** it needs.

The 78 is looking better each day. Ive been cleaning the shed more and more and Im thinking Im gonna pull it in once its warm because 1) it will stop getting mossy / rusty 2) I have a good idea /level if comfort in skill and etc etc that I think I should take my stab at making it live. 3.73, 12 bolt, d44, niceish interior, tilt column, buckets, i have body panels allegedly, it has 15s on it which are cheap to get tires, its 4x4 which I think i may just go and stick with it. I have th350/np203 in it now, but i have np205/sm465 I as easily can make reality esp with the cab deconstructed, I have a set of pedals for clutch and all that, i have a manual column(if i wanted to not have tilt lol?) I can maybe not do **** perfect the first round making it whole again but then in the future dedicate myself to deconstruct and then perfectly put it together. as it stands I would be stomping the frame rust for sure in its tracks no ifs ands or butts.

My gpa did most of the welding for patches, I have patch panels for most things needed just need the weld skill lol but ya know?

Im shameless as **** Id Roll god damn chevy orange for the paint job with a roller meant for cabinets and not feel shame(LOL) But in a serious manner, I have professional paint air guns from my gpas days doing body, I can probably take a stab at that, fail a few times, and do somethiing slightly more OK than a roll job.

The nice part of all it, is, just, he pulled it apart, ive found where most that is, and between other trucks of times past, I all together have a good amount of options to do something without needing to drop big cash until its time to do the powertain/brakes/ nitty gritty.

Then I can say I have something more than the glass of the 80 :O

this is the worst part of the cab, even.

Itll buff.

..right..?

plus its legally a breeze since the title was signed over in like 2000 and my gpa never transferred it but they put a low amount if the tax man wants to try and collect for such long ago things.

Plus i have engine options and said engines are out of vehicle, perfect opportunity to learn how to soft-overhaul a good engine or if ambitious maybe try hand at rebuild (id prob go overhaul first since easier and no reason it needs to be a fresh engine its gonna be a patched together abortion of three peoples ideas of what this vehicle should be(original owner, my gpa, myself).

ITLL BUFF.

it needs a windshield tho LOL

jdokie79

Reaction score
First Name
JD
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I just had one installed yesterday at a local company. Total was $212. I figured for $60-80 I would pay someone else to install instead of risking me breaking the new glass.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
now, now, I have the collective remains of about 2.6 square bodies if you total all the useable/good together, and that is funnily looking better for the 78 frame than the 80 truck lol

with my realization of what it means for my front axle since.. well... I put the wrong count spline and size shaft in it...

Its just more and more distance between being able to enjoy the square and the dread of all the ***** it needs.

The 78 is looking better each day. Ive been cleaning the shed more and more and Im thinking Im gonna pull it in once its warm because 1) it will stop getting mossy / rusty 2) I have a good idea /level if comfort in skill and etc etc that I think I should take my stab at making it live. 3.73, 12 bolt, d44, niceish interior, tilt column, buckets, i have body panels allegedly, it has 15s on it which are cheap to get tires, its 4x4 which I think i may just go and stick with it. I have th350/np203 in it now, but i have np205/sm465 I as easily can make reality esp with the cab deconstructed, I have a set of pedals for clutch and all that, i have a manual column(if i wanted to not have tilt lol?) I can maybe not do **** perfect the first round making it whole again but then in the future dedicate myself to deconstruct and then perfectly put it together. as it stands I would be stomping the frame rust for sure in its tracks no ifs ands or butts.

My gpa did most of the welding for patches, I have patch panels for most things needed just need the weld skill lol but ya know?

Im shameless as **** Id Roll god damn chevy orange for the paint job with a roller meant for cabinets and not feel shame(LOL) But in a serious manner, I have professional paint air guns from my gpas days doing body, I can probably take a stab at that, fail a few times, and do somethiing slightly more OK than a roll job.

The nice part of all it, is, just, he pulled it apart, ive found where most that is, and between other trucks of times past, I all together have a good amount of options to do something without needing to drop big cash until its time to do the powertain/brakes/ nitty gritty.

Then I can say I have something more than the glass of the 80 :O

this is the worst part of the cab, even.

Itll buff.

..right..?

plus its legally a breeze since the title was signed over in like 2000 and my gpa never transferred it but they put a low amount if the tax man wants to try and collect for such long ago things.

Plus i have engine options and said engines are out of vehicle, perfect opportunity to learn how to soft-overhaul a good engine or if ambitious maybe try hand at rebuild (id prob go overhaul first since easier and no reason it needs to be a fresh engine its gonna be a patched together abortion of three peoples ideas of what this vehicle should be(original owner, my gpa, myself).

ITLL BUFF.

it needs a windshield tho LOL
Speaking of LOL, what the hell does this have to do with buying a windshield?

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
For those with a couple hours to spend and a helper to handle the windshield, it is not that difficult.
Just installed the windshield back in a new gasket.
Can confirm, using sealant ANYWHERE would have resulted in a mess of epic proportions.
And I didn’t have a hook tool/ pick which would have helped a bit.
Sequence:
1. Half the bottom and one side into gasket.
2. Top corner of same side into gasket.
3. Work window over to that side to fully seat (as much as possible)
4. Finish bottom and then opposite side, up and around the top corner.
5. Remaining length along the top. (Most of this I pushed the outer lip “out” from the inside.)
Ran out of time to do lock strip but started it and it goes pretty easy with a lock strip tool (and likely impossible without one)
Used foaming glass cleaner for lube to install window. May have gone easier with silicone lube.
Tried glass cleaner on lock strip. No go. But silicone worked well. Just can’t stop with lock strip and/or need someone to hold the tool and lock strip. If you let go, it removes itself from the groove.
Overall fairly easy to DIY.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I believe silicone lube would have made the windshield go in easier compared to using foamy window cleaner, however I also feel it would have made a mess of slippery hands, tools, window surface.

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
For those with a couple hours to spend and a helper to handle the windshield, it is not that difficult.
Just installed the windshield back in a new gasket.
Can confirm, using sealant ANYWHERE would have resulted in a mess of epic proportions.
And I didn’t have a hook tool/ pick which would have helped a bit.
Sequence:
1. Half the bottom and one side into gasket.
2. Top corner of same side into gasket.
3. Work window over to that side to fully seat (as much as possible)
4. Finish bottom and then opposite side, up and around the top corner.
5. Remaining length along the top. (Most of this I pushed the outer lip “out” from the inside.)
Ran out of time to do lock strip but started it and it goes pretty easy with a lock strip tool (and likely impossible without one)
Used foaming glass cleaner for lube to install window. May have gone easier with silicone lube.
Tried glass cleaner on lock strip. No go. But silicone worked well. Just can’t stop with lock strip and/or need someone to hold the tool and lock strip. If you let go, it removes itself from the groove.
Overall fairly easy to DIY.
@Grit dog What brand windshield gasket did you use?

I see "Precision" makes one and so does "SoftSeal". There may be others too...

The windshield gasket in my K20 is junk and it leaks. The glass is okay though. I'm thinking I want to try and replace the gasket myself. Glass guys want $350 for a new windshield, and most of them aren't interested in replacing my gasket without replacing the glass. If I break my glass in the process I'll only lose my time and the cost of the gasket/lock strip.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@Grit dog What brand windshield gasket did you use?

I see "Precision" makes one and so does "SoftSeal". There may be others too...

The windshield gasket in my K20 is junk and it leaks. The glass is okay though. I'm thinking I want to try and replace the gasket myself. Glass guys want $350 for a new windshield, and most of them aren't interested in replacing my gasket without replacing the glass. If I break my glass in the process I'll only lose my time and the cost of the gasket/lock strip.
I used a Precision seal. I re-used the old (maybe original) glass. But idk why they would require new glass if it's not cracked or dinged up. I had no issues where I felt I was going to break the glass, but could maybe see if it has star cracks/chips where it could likely crack. The videos that show pounding on and pulling on the glass are pretty accurate.
If you break it, you don't lose the cost of the gasket and lock strip. You will re-use it with new glass. And if you get the window in without cracking it, you're not going to crack it putting the lock strip in.

Install was a bit frustrating, but first time for me. I'd say it's not heavy on skill, mostly patience and the ability to think about it. Like I was struggling getting the last couple feet of gasket around the glass until I realized I could push it out from the inside easier and with less chance of damage than pulling it out from the outside. Only issue in the end, was i dinged up the chrome on the lock strip in several places with the lock strip tool. Not an issue if you use a black lock strip or have more patience than I did!

PS, IDK if it leaks yet, but the install seems fairly stupid proof. It's either in properly or it is totally wrong, not what ifs involved. Maybe should check before I get the dash back in though. Haven't washed the truck or had it in the rain yet since painting it.

FWIW, back window was much easier IMO. No helper needed and biggest challenge was getting the little covers on the bottom corners without tearing the gasket.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laqota