Any squarebody van guys? Got a odd question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

85K304SPD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Maybe weld a wider plate on the face of the pedal so you can move your foot over more. Put a little grip tape on it and call it good.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Yeah, work boots DO NOT fit, lol. That's all I wear. Maybe if I had some cockroach killer cowboy boots, but my foot is too wide to wear those darn things.

That actually not a bad idea. I wouldnt do it in there, I'd have to take it apart to do it outside, but that might work.
If I just did a bend and a bend though, thatd only solve the left to right problem, which is kinda secondary to the height issue. Also, I think thatd shorten it the tiniest bit, which would add to height thing. The shape of the arm kinda prevents me from bending it down and back. Would it be a horrible idea to cut the pedal arm, add a peice, angle it a bit, and weld it all back together?

Like others have said I'd look at the rod for height, but IIFC there is a pretty good height differences between the petal. If you lower it to the floor just remember some of that travel might be so you can stop the darn thing in a panic stop with no assit. I'm not saying it isn't ok to lower the pedal just keep that in mind when you are doing so.

As far as cutting the pedal arm, rearranging it and welding it is concerned I think that hinges on your ability to weld thickish metal. And again keep in mind the amount of pressure you might put on the pedal in a no assit panic stop. As long as you can stick the metal together good and leave enough flood clearance I say why not.

I can't image that there is any kind of aftermarket pedal assembly made so I would think making what you want would be the only viable option.

Like you I can't drive left foot. Though all my vehicles are autos these days, to many years of manual transmission just makes it not feel right to drive left footed.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
Get a short, skinny chauffer to drive you around,.
Maybe install a set of hand controls if nothing else works.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Like others have said I'd look at the rod for height, but IIFC there is a pretty good height differences between the petal. If you lower it to the floor just remember some of that travel might be so you can stop the darn thing in a panic stop with no assit. I'm not saying it isn't ok to lower the pedal just keep that in mind when you are doing so.

As far as cutting the pedal arm, rearranging it and welding it is concerned I think that hinges on your ability to weld thickish metal. And again keep in mind the amount of pressure you might put on the pedal in a no assit panic stop. As long as you can stick the metal together good and leave enough flood clearance I say why not.

I can't image that there is any kind of aftermarket pedal assembly made so I would think making what you want would be the only viable option.

Like you I can't drive left foot. Though all my vehicles are autos these days, to many years of manual transmission just makes it not feel right to drive left footed.
I'm not bad on the welder, but my boss is really good, so I'd probably just ask him. I think that might be the only option.

Yeah, most of my trucks are manuals, so in my mind, that's what the left foot is for, haha. Just feels too weird if it's not a clutch.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Two-footed driving is done often in racing. I mean, you've got two feet and there's two pedals.... It's even more entertaining with a three pedal vehicle.

But we shift with one hand and steer with another, so multitasking isn't anything new. Left-foot braking feels awkward at first, but it's fairly easy to adapt to, and you should spend a little time trying it before you condemn it.
Yeah, but my left foot is a clutch foot, and that's all my brain can handle, lol.

Plus, even if I use my other foot, all I'd end up doing is squishing my other foot between the bottom of the brake and the gas. And it's also too high IMO so thatd still be a thing, and hitting the gas again would still be just as hard.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I'm not bad on the welder, but my boss is really good, so I'd probably just ask him. I think that might be the only option.

Yeah, most of my trucks are manuals, so in my mind, that's what the left foot is for, haha. Just feels too weird if it's not a clutch.
I sold my last manual in 2016, not because I don't want to drive one, just because it's what's come along. Anymore with the hi-low changer on turn signal switch my left foot just sits there doing nothing, but it just don't feel right to try to brake with it.

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
I like where the gas pedal is, it's pretty comfortable, but the brake just feels wrong. If it was about 2-3 inches lower and about and ½ inch to 1 inch to the left itd be perfect.
Most vehicles have the brake pedal positioned higher than the gas pedal by design. It helps you subconsciously recognize which pedal your foot is on without looking or thinking about it.

I do understand your dilemma though. Just wanted to share some food for thought before your modifications.

You don't want to be the 80 year old lady ramming your truck through the front doors of your local drug store.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
You don't want to be the 80 year old lady ramming your truck through the front doors of your local drug store.
That actually happened to my grand mother in the early 1980's. The story I was told, she came in to the parking spot a little fast and went to hit the brake pedal nailed the gas and hit the front of the store. Her vehicle was a 1971 travelall. Lucky her reflexes must have still been decent as she just barely hit the plate glass window in the front of the store which of course broke it, but other wise no damage.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Most vehicles have the brake pedal positioned higher than the gas pedal by design. It helps you subconsciously recognize which pedal your foot is on without looking or thinking about it.

I do understand your dilemma though. Just wanted to share some food for thought before your modifications.

Oh yeah, thanks, totally understand that. All cars are a little different height, usually like ½ inch to an inch, but this is like 2 to 2½ different..

But like I said, that's not the worse part, mainly the left to right distance.
I'm afraid I will be that old lady the way it is, haha.

Side note, my grandma did that.
She came to a left and right T intersection, went to hit the brake and punched the gas instead. Went straight... straight into a willow grove, totally buried the car, like couldn't get even het out until we towed her out.
We called it grandma's garage, because theres a car shaped hole in this big thick pile of willow. No one got hurt except a seatbelt bruise. And the car got all messed up.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
I had one of those, "why didn't I think of that" moments today. What if I just shave off the outside edge of the pedal? Just clearance it enough to fit my foot.
I also thought, I could drill a hole in the bottom of the gas pedal, and bolt a little block to it so I won't have to reach in so deep to press it?

The simplest solution is often the best, right?
You must be registered for see images attach

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
How much room do you gain by removing the rubber pad?

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Maybe put a piece of wood the width of the gas pedal and thick enough to make it even with the brake pedal on the gas pedal. They did that to both pedals on my school bus for the driver. She was really short. Drove it like that fine for years. Lol

At least your foot wouldn't be under the brake pedal. Hope you figure out something.

I wear a size 13 shoe and I used to have that problem with my 2000 camaro SS. I'm just 5 11, just have big feet. But, you know what they say about guy's with big feet tho.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
I wear a size 13 shoe and I used to have that problem with my 2000 camaro SS. I'm just 5 11, just have big feet. But, you know what they say about guy's with big feet tho.

Yeah they smell even 'larger' than small feet.
You're not getting what you think you are haha.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I had one of those, "why didn't I think of that" moments today. What if I just shave off the outside edge of the pedal? Just clearance it enough to fit my foot.
I also thought, I could drill a hole in the bottom of the gas pedal, and bolt a little block to it so I won't have to reach in so deep to press it?

The simplest solution is often the best, right?
I actually thought about suggestion that, but assumed it wouldn't be enough. It would be cool if you could figure out some way of still having some sort of a pad, but I'd be all about a few moments of angle grinder action in the car vs remove and rearrange.

On your gas pedal what about going to one of those bolt to the floor style? You'd have to see if this would work safely, but the idea would be that you'd bolt the pedal to the floor and let the top part sit over your current pedal or remove it so it can sit on the rod. It would give you more pedal farther back and possibly raise the height a little.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128