Any squarebody van guys? Got a odd question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
I actually thought about suggestion that, but assumed it wouldn't be enough. It would be cool if you could figure out some way of still having some sort of a pad, but I'd be all about a few moments of angle grinder action in the car vs remove and rearrange.

On your gas pedal what about going to one of those bolt to the floor style? You'd have to see if this would work safely, but the idea would be that you'd bolt the pedal to the floor and let the top part sit over your current pedal or remove it so it can sit on the rod. It would give you more pedal farther back and possibly raise the height a little.
Hmmm, that's a really good idea, hadn't thought of that. That could help. I could probably make something thy would work pretty darn well. Thanks for that thought

And yeah, I'd opt to do it in car instead of removal everytime. I think it would be enough, barely. I also thought about removing a bit of rubber and fabric and padding off of the doghouse area to I crease the room for my foot. Not enough to make it hot while I drive, but theres a big flap of floor rubber that could go.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Hmmm, that's a really good idea, hadn't thought of that. That could help. I could probably make something thy would work pretty darn well. Thanks for that thought

And yeah, I'd opt to do it in car instead of removal everytime. I think it would be enough, barely. I also thought about removing a bit of rubber and fabric and padding off of the doghouse area to I crease the room for my foot. Not enough to make it hot while I drive, but theres a big flap of floor rubber that could go.
To preface this I've never owned a G-van. I had an old 70's class C RV, on Dodge chassis and now we have 99 class C on a chevy chassis. The old Dodge the dome got quite a bit warm. Not on short drives but on longer ones. It could be really miserable for the driver (me) going distances in hot weather. The newer chevy is no problem. My only point is that if you do something to the dome, which moves it closer the exhaust it maybe fine locally but you'd just intensify heat soak on a long trip. I think dome to foot interference is something you'll get use to if you re-arrange the pedals in a better way.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
It would be cool if you could figure out some way of still having some sort of a pad,

Weld the piece you cut off to the other side. Basically shift the factory pad over. Maybe?

I do agree that some kind of pad is necessary. Wet, bare metal is as slippery as ice.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Weld the piece you cut off to the other side. Basically shift the factory pad over. Maybe?

I do agree that some kind of pad is necessary. Wet, bare metal is as slippery as ice.
Oh I still have the original runner pad. I'll just trim to fit, and reinstall when I'm done.

Oh yeah, metal pedals when its wet are dangerous. I've done that a few times.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Well now that the pedal thing is figured out for the most part... any of you big footed folks ever try to drive an early 00's Nissan Xterra? It's the worst pedal situation I've ever encountered.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Well now that the pedal thing is figured out for the most part... any of you big footed folks ever try to drive an early 00's Nissan Xterra? It's the worst pedal situation I've ever encountered.
Nope, never have.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I never owned one, nor did I have friends that did, but I remember them from when they'd come into the shop. Yea I agree they were terrible. And not just the pedals.

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I had one of those, "why didn't I think of that" moments today. What if I just shave off the outside edge of the pedal? Just clearance it enough to fit my foot.
I also thought, I could drill a hole in the bottom of the gas pedal, and bolt a little block to it so I won't have to reach in so deep to press it?

The simplest solution is often the best, right?
You must be registered for see images attach
Couldn't you just pull the pedal off and heat up the bend in the picture, and the bend above the picture, so those bends could be bent a little more, causing the petal to be shifted to the left?

Gene King

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
I've got an '83 G20 in the yard. I forget what they call it but it's got upgrades done to it by an aftermarket company sort of like Shelby. Was a sweet rig, shag carpet, suede swivel seats and a sleeping bed. Then a drunk killed himself rear ending it

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
I've got an '83 G20 in the yard. I forget what they call it but it's got upgrades done to it by an aftermarket company sort of like Shelby. Was a sweet rig, shag carpet, suede swivel seats and a sleeping bed. Then a drunk killed himself rear ending it
That's pretty cool, sucks about the guy though.

Mines the same way, it's a Good Times Van, was customized my Good Times Inc, custom outfitters.
Carpet threw out, 4 red velvet swiveling captain's chairs, and a folding couch/bed on the back.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8

Gene King

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
That's pretty cool, sucks about the guy though.

Mines the same way, it's a Good Times Van, was customized my Good Times Inc, custom outfitters.
Carpet threw out, 4 red velvet swiveling captain's chairs, and a folding couch/bed on the back.
cool photos. I wanna say mine's a Starcraft or Starline or something..could be wrong though. It's a lot like that except it doesn't have the bulkhead behind the bed and it had a removable table between the 2nd row seats.
& yeah it's kind of a long story but he hit driver's side rear corner then went off the road and into a tree. The insurance company totaled it for a bent frame and I bought it back for almost nothing because it was already 25 years old then. I was going to keep driving it but I let the registration lapse while procrastinating hammering the rear corner back into a reasonable shape and they wouldn't let me put plates back on it. They did the guy's BAC and he wasn't just buzzed, he was sloshed and had a suspended license for drunk driving already.

Added a photo of it, not much to look at anymore though. Inside is full of crap

Attachments

• IMG_20220511_105915.jpg
    IMG_20220511_105915.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell