Stiff gas pedal/odd shifting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darth Plasma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350/SM465
I've replaced the whole gas pedal assembly and lubricated it on my 87 V10, still is very very stiff but never sticks. It takes a very slow and easy foot to give it just the right amount of gas for stopping/going. I accidentally screech the tires all the time and the tires just want to spin and spin without going anywhere when I first give it gas. When I'm cruising and have my foot about 50% to the floor, it's easy to put the pedal down and it has perfect return spring. Now, I've heard about something like the TV cable could be adjusted because the truck also shifts up if i back off the gas the slightest bit going up a hill and it's quite annoying. I've never adjusted a TV cable or don't know how to. Could this cause the very stiff gas pedal and cause the tires to screech and not go anywhere? I'm used to a very smooth and soft-to-press pedal. 350 TBI and 700R4

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I've never dealt with a TV cable before since I've always drove a manual. But I did have a throttle cable stick because the was a reverse type cone on the cable that was meant to guide it over the tip of the jacket where the cable came out to hook up to the carb. Age took its toll and the cone broke apart gradually causing it to stick more frequently over time.

something like this...

You must be registered for see images attach

Darth Plasma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350/SM465
I've never dealt with a TV cable before since I've always drove a manual. But I did have a throttle cable stick because the was a reverse type cone on the cable that was meant to guide it over the tip of the jacket where the cable came out to hook up to the carb. Age took its toll and the cone broke apart gradually causing it to stick more frequently over time.

something like this...

You must be registered for see images attach
I'll have to take a closer look at mine later but as far as I know mine is seated correctly. My throttle cable is at the top of the bracket and then I assume the TV cable is the bottom cable on the bracket but I'm just not sure how to adjust it or check if it's the issue

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Can you give us some more info?

Why'd you change it, was it doing this before?
You sure its the same exact part?
Did you change the throttle cable also?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
You did replace the throttle cable, too? Mine was a bit stiffer than it should be, and that did a lot to improve it. There’s a D-shaped button on the cable that you press down on with a screwdriver and then advance the throttle to WOT to tighten. You’ll feel it shifting rougher if it’s too tight and you’ll have to back it off a hair, but if the cable’s just sitting there limply, that’s not good.

Darth Plasma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350/SM465
Can you give us some more info?

Why'd you change it, was it doing this before?
You sure its the same exact part?
Did you change the throttle cable also?
I changed out the pedal assembly, don’t think I changed out the throttle cable. That could be it

Darth Plasma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350/SM465
You did replace the throttle cable, too? Mine was a bit stiffer than it should be, and that did a lot to improve it. There’s a D-shaped button on the cable that you press down on with a screwdriver and then advance the throttle to WOT to tighten. You’ll feel it shifting rougher if it’s too tight and you’ll have to back it off a hair, but if the cable’s just sitting there limply, that’s not good.
I’m gonna take a look later when I’m home and have time to inspect it

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Just trying to eliminate things here but off the top of my head I would make sure that the throttle cable and linkage geometry are all ok and also make sure the TV cable is ok. It may have come out of adjustment upon slacking the throttle cable.

Read this article and post up if you have any questions. Its very important to the longevity of your trans.

http://www.tvmadeez.com/article/

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising