Gas smell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

texasmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hi everybody.
I jumped in the stock '84 C10 yesterday to head to the store and started smelling gas about a half block away. I pulled over and raised the hood and saw gasoline pooled on top of the fuel pump. I couldn't see where it was coming from so I headed back to the house and turned the engine off. I opened the hood and by the time I found a flashlight to take a look, the gas was gone. I jumped in the car and went to the store.
Late this morning, I started the truck and fast idled it for about 10 minutes and found no sign of gas, anywhere. The temperature was 45º and fuel gauge is a little passed F (I recently filled up). My canister is connected to a steel vent line and the 3 line fuel pump was replaced by a shop in late 2018 and I've put 6k miles on the truck since and have had no problems. I don't know what brand the pump is and I could not easily see a vent hole so I grabbed a mirror for a better look and believe I found a hole on the back side of the pump. If that's where the gas came from, what would cause itThanks. to happen? Should I fix something or just keep driving the truck until it happens again? I've been through an engine compartment fire while driving my '81 TR8 and do not want to go through that again.

Attachments

• 84 C10 fuel pump.jpg
    84 C10 fuel pump.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 33

Jgonick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Interested to see what you find out. I had the same problem a few years back and couldn't figure out why it would randomly happen. Maybe leaking at the seam occasionally is all could come up with. I replaced the fuel pump pretty quickly and of course that took care of the problem.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I had a similar problem, and they gas mostly went onto the exhaust manifold and burned off. Gas smell, but no visible gas residue. Just replace the pump and be done with it.

They aren’t expensive, and not that hard to replace. The only challenge is to get the pump lever up under the rod in the block. I used an old hacksaw blade bent at an angle to hold the rod up while I slipped the pump into position. Also make sure you use a flare nut wrench to remove the metal lines from the pump. They might be tight enough that a normal box end wrench will just round it off.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Yeah I'd prob start by replacing the pump. It's not uncommon to either get a bad one out of the box or for it to fail in just a few thousand miles. I put one on my 305 and the first one was bad, second one failed in ~5k miles or so. 3rd lasted until I yanked the motor out about 5-7k later

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
I had luck with carter pumps so far. No bad one out the box and no early failure.

texasmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks, everyone. I haven't yet searched for a Carter pump but I did see that Rock Auto lists only two higher end pumps, one is a GMB for $26.79 and the other is a USMW for $22.79. Has anyone tried either of these brands and what was GM's part number for the OEM pump?

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
After multiple fuel pump failures I got a Carter from Advance Auto.It was labeled as Carquest pump made by Carter.So far so good.The others failed in about 100 miles more or less.One of the bad pumps started knocking loudly,and still pumped.Replaced it with this Carter

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Had 2 that were junk out of the box. 3rd time bought Delphi or GM can't remember. That one has been fine for 2 years now. Bought extras while they were available.

Defective pumps did not have a return spring on top of pump arm, stuck at 1/2 travel.

Attachments

• 100_0788.JPG
    100_0788.JPG
    166.7 KB · Views: 10

texasmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I ended up paying $69 for what was supposed to be an ACdelco OE pump. It turned out that the box was original but the pump had a round symbol that indicated it was foreign. The pump arm spring was internal and not external like many show. I’m not sure which position is OE. I put it on and will see how long it lasts. Carter has changed hands a number of times and I believe is now a part of the Trico Group.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Return spring on top of arm is oem style

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Many Delphi and GM pumps that I have seen are either Mexican or offshore. However, they seem to be built to a different standard. Can't remember the last time we had a bad Delphi fuel pump. Can't say the same about some other brands. Just checked 2 new pumps, Delph is made in China, ACD says Made in EACH. Whatever that means.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Many Delphi and GM pumps that I have seen are either Mexican or offshore. However, they seem to be built to a different standard. Can't remember the last time we had a bad Delphi fuel pump. Can't say the same about some other brands. Just checked 2 new pumps, Delph is made in China, ACD says Made in EACH. Whatever that means.
My first two pumps were Delphi and went bad fast.One still pumped,but rattled and knocked badly

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Check your oil,level and smell. Fuel on top of the pump,that's a new one. With idling I'd put pressure on the steel line from the pump to the carb look for a leak above the pump running down or spraying on it. If your oil level has risen or smell like gas you probably have a pump out. Thing is I've never seen a bad fuel pump put fuel on top of the pump they always leak from the weep hole down.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Do you remember if they had the return spring?
No they did not.But they were Delphi.My Carquest"by Carter" pump does though.My original pump from factory had a return spring.I replaced the original pump in about 2003 and it def. had that spring.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag