Engine loses power when shifting gears(auto)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamesMilk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I have read all of this.

Don't leave us hanging in the wind.
It has been 10 days since the last post was made and we all want to know how it turned out...
Still installing a new gas tank, it has been raining every weekend on the days that I have time to work on it.
But I have rebuilt the carburator and pulled off the old gas tank, of which had holes in the bottom of it. It never leaked because it had a layer of grease coating the bottom.
But tomorrow I should have everything installed and ready to tune the air/fuel mixture. I'll have to send some pics in of the old gas tank. Sorry for leaving y'all hanging.
EDIT: checked the fuel in the tank coming from the pump, and it most definitely had water/rust in it.

JamesMilk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Ok, so it's very chilly outside. But great news, I got the new tank installed and somehow managed to get the carb put back together with little experience in doing it!

Put about 3-4 gallons of ethanol free gas in her. After the fuel got pumped through the lines she starts right up. Now I need to adjust the idle(spring might be too tight) and I need to learn about adjusting the fuel/air mixture. She does idle a little high by the sound of it, but once I switch her into gear it comes down a little.

Below are pictures of the old and new tank.
Thanks for all the help guys, once I wake up a little more, I'm going to adjust the carb and take her for a drive.

Attachments

• 20221113_100101.jpg
    20221113_100101.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 20221113_100106.jpg
    20221113_100106.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 20221113_100113.jpg
    20221113_100113.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 20221113_100119.jpg
    20221113_100119.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 38

MrHorsepowerLSx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K35
Engine Size
I did notice that OP hasn’t responded in a while but I’ll add some info to this thread

Two things that you mentioned is that the motor was making an audible clicking sound under the hood. What’s the condition of the spark plugs and wires/cap/rotor? If a boot got a bit crispy the plug will leak its spark to ground and you will hear that clicking sound. Also loosely installed spark plugs can create a similar problem. A crack in the distributor cap can arc out as well

Next for tuning up the carb. You need a timing light to verify initial timing and a vacuum gauge, you are going to install the the gauge to manifold vacuum and be tuning the idle circuit for maximum vacuum at idle.

Last edited:

JamesMilk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I did notice that OP hasn’t responded in a while but I’ll add some info to this thread

Two things that you mentioned is that the motor was making an audible clicking sound under the hood. What’s the condition of the spark plugs and wires/cap/rotor? If a boot got a bit crispy the plug will leak its spark to ground and you will hear that clicking sound. Also loosely installed spark plugs can create a similar problem. A crack in the distributor cap can arc out as well

Next for tuning up the carb. You need a timing light to verify initial timing and a vacuum gauge, you are going to install the the gauge to manifold vacuum and be tuning the idle circuit for maximum vacuum at idle.
Well, I have completely replaced the distributor cap, and plugs. Still have yet to check the timing. Reason for slow posts, I don't have a garage, I work in my driveway. Lately its been raining a lot, in northern Alabama.
Currently working with a transmission shop on how to get my 3rd gear back, if its not fried already. will update more as i have a lot of parts coming in next week(got my bonus) :).
I haven't forgot y'all, just haven't had clear weekends to repair/replace items.
Also getting with a sheet metal guy at work to give me tips on repairing the rust.
Will update this next week.

JamesMilk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
That thought crossed my mind as well and I was going to make that as a suggestion. Good call
Spoke with a transmission shop yesterday and they mentioned that, aswell as how hard it is to come by a stock converter nowadays.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I'm running a 1400 stall Th-400 converter in my th-350.
Hit your transmission shop with some of that action!:bs:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84