700r4 quick, stacked shifting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Noahboll

Reaction score
First Name
Noah
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 silverado
Engine Size
I have a 84k10 305, 700r4, holley600 carb. I've been having problems with shifting, 1-2 around 7 mph 2-3 around 12mph and 3-4 then immediately over drive around 17mph. We've replaced the TV cable, the throttle/TV bracket, and added a geometry bracket onto the carburetor, nothing has helped. We've tried adjusting and readjusting the TV cable, we can get it shifting slightly closer to normal, but then it's undrivable at highway speeds, downshifting as soon as the slightest throttle pressure is applied. I should mention, the trans shifts good and strong when I'm manually shifting. Does anyone know any fix for this? Does my valve body need some sort of rebuild? Or do they make some kind of bracket that will pull the TV cable at a different rate than the throttle? Any insight would be appreciated, thanks.

hogdaddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
The governor changes shift points. Is the shifting you describe at normal driving or WOT!
The vacuum modulator controls part-throttle I believe.
Maybe someone with more knowledge on it will chime in.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
What’s this geometry kit? You can’t cobble the TV cable together, it has to be right. Too many people think as long as the cable it tight at WOT, it’s good. While that is partially true, since the trans only spends a tiny percentage of its life at WOT (unless the drivers is a teenager!) the other 99.9% of the time is also critical.

It’s not just the pull of the cable, it’s the rate of pull. The percentage of pull per degree of throttle movement has to be right. It sound like it has the correct cable travel at WOT, but not at part throttle.

Make sure the brackets you have are right for your carb.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54