Gas smell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
No they did not.But they were Delphi.My Carquest"by Carter" pump does though.My original pump from factory had a return spring.I replaced the original pump in about 2003 and it def. had that spring.
Interesting, really frustrating wasting time and money doing things twice or more. Parts must be cheap to make. If production costs were high excessive returns would kill any profit. Delphi moved at least some production out of the country may be all of it. US today can't compete globally.

texasmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Has anyone had any experience with the Spectra # SP1007MP pump that Classic Industries is selling?

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
When I've done a fuel pump, I pull the rod out and use some grease to keep it in place. It only costs a little grease and a gasket. Past performance is no guarantee of future success, your results may differ.

texasmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I used the longer bolt method to hold the rod in place. There was a note in the box suggesting to pack the pump with heavy grease to keep moisture out and to lubricate the pumps moving parts. It claimed that small block engines do not produce sufficient crank case pressure to lubricate the pump. This was my first time to ever hear of this and I have completed many, many trips around the sun.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Interesting, really frustrating wasting time and money doing things twice or more. Parts must be cheap to make. If production costs were high excessive returns would kill any profit. Delphi moved at least some production out of the country may be all of it. US today can't compete globally.
Everyone builds stuff with chinesium and every vehicle has those parts.How can they compete between two of the same inferior products? It is a mess dealing with a so called global economy.When most everything comes from the same China.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I have ran two different delphi pumps from autozone on two different motors and have had zero failures. I rebuilt a 350 and ran a new Carter pump on it that failed after ~500 miles while I was out in the middle of the woods hunting. The internal pump arm end had just sheared off. Replaced it with one of those Delphi pumps from autozone and it is still going strong two years later. The Delphi pumps are only $24 at autozone and have a warranty, so if they do ever fail, you can just swap it right out for free.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have ran two different delphi pumps from autozone on two different motors and have had zero failures. I rebuilt a 350 and ran a new Carter pump on it that failed after ~500 miles while I was out in the middle of the woods hunting. The internal pump arm end had just sheared off. Replaced it with one of those Delphi pumps from autozone and it is still going strong two years later. The Delphi pumps are only $24 at autozone and have a warranty, so if they do ever fail, you can just swap it right out for free.
Free swap out isn't really free all the time. Add money if a business. Lost time refixing and lost time that could have been used making money on another vehicle. So, kind of a double hit. Yes, some companies will partially reimburse businesses for labor but not nearly enough.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Free swap out isn't really free all the time. Add money if a business. Lost time refixing and lost time that could have been used making money on another vehicle. So, kind of a double hit. Yes, some companies will partially reimburse businesses for labor but not nearly enough.
I'm not sure what you are trying to say here.

I have not had any fail from them. It's a genuine Delphi. I've had a more expensive Carter pump fail and it had no warranty. So I was out the time and effort to go recover the vehicle, plus the time to replace it, plus the cost of the new pump because it wasn't under warranty.

If I had just put the autozone Delphi unit in there first, I likely wouldn't have had the failure to begin with, but if I had.. I could have just gone down to the nearest autozone and swapped it out in their parking lot in 15 minutes and not needed to pay for the part on top of everything else.

Now, if I'm a shop mechanic and I'm in a fixed location... then I have a relationship with a local supplier and it's a totally different conversation. If I'm driving this thing all over the place, I pick a supplier that usually has one in stock and will stand behind their warranty nationwide.. no questions asked. The only store I've ever had do that is Autozone. Advance and Oreilly are almost as prevalent nationwide, but their computer system sucks and their warranties are terrible to boot. I've had multiple instances of Orielly not showing I bought something or not tracking parts purchased through a store. NAPA is great for a single store that you know the guys at. If you have to do anything anywhere else they might as well be completely different places.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'm not sure what you are trying to say here.

I have not had any fail from them. It's a genuine Delphi. I've had a more expensive Carter pump fail and it had no warranty. So I was out the time and effort to go recover the vehicle, plus the time to replace it, plus the cost of the new pump because it wasn't under warranty.

If I had just put the autozone Delphi unit in there first, I likely wouldn't have had the failure to begin with, but if I had.. I could have just gone down to the nearest autozone and swapped it out in their parking lot in 15 minutes and not needed to pay for the part on top of everything else.

Now, if I'm a shop mechanic and I'm in a fixed location... then I have a relationship with a local supplier and it's a totally different conversation. If I'm driving this thing all over the place, I pick a supplier that usually has one in stock and will stand behind their warranty nationwide.. no questions asked. The only store I've ever had do that is Autozone. Advance and Oreilly are almost as prevalent nationwide, but their computer system sucks and their warranties are terrible to boot. I've had multiple instances of Orielly not showing I bought something or not tracking parts purchased through a store. NAPA is great for a single store that you know the guys at. If you have to do anything anywhere else they might as well be completely different places.
Replacing a defective part is time lost. My opinion some manufacturers are producing a sub par product with an expected percentage of returns VS cost of making a quality item. Problem is the return percentages are getting higher. Finding inoperable parts out of the box is inexcusable. I attribute some of that to cheap labor in other countries and poor-quality control. Saying the part has a free replacement warranty does not fix all. If you detect this hit a nerve your correct. It's very frustrating to do a job twice no matter the cause. That's all I am saying.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Replacing a defective part is time lost. My opinion some manufacturers are producing a sub par product with an expected percentage of returns VS cost of making a quality item. Problem is the return percentages are getting higher. Finding inoperable parts out of the box is inexcusable. I attribute some of that to cheap labor in other countries and poor-quality control. Saying the part has a free replacement warranty does not fix all. If you detect this hit a nerve your correct. It's very frustrating to do a job twice no matter the cause. That's all I am saying.
I feel your pain,and it sucks. Most people don't understand all parts are not the same and getting good parts 1st time around as a general rule costs more and takes longer. I've had customers arque with me about the prices they've found from big box parts stores vs. the prices we charged or estimated. I had 1 guy 1 told him we won't use brand ? pumps, he said but it's a Chevrolet pump. I had to explain,no,it's a cheap copy of a Chevrolet pump. And it's not just fuel pumps,general public doesn't understand a shop can't shop around for best price,and take a chance on quality and losing time doing it twice,and getting bad mouthed when a cheap part fails.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
A friends shop replaced a 240k blown engine in a ladies car.She towed the car in two weeks later claiming they tore her transmission up.He asks her a simple question.If your engine can go bad at 240k,do you think that same miles might do the same to your transmission.She didn't want to accept it,but she did agree.We thought for a few minutes she was gonna lose her mind.lol

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
2 statements I have heard thousands of times.

never did that before
ever since

Actually think some people are being honest saying it. They just weren't paying attention until paying for a repair, others not so much. Rspecially when after a brake repair they blame us for an inoperative wiper motor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag