Roof access for cab running lights.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chubble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe K10
Engine Size
I've been thinking about picking up a set of cab roof lights and i was looking and was wondering how(if) you drop the ceiling down issue the can to run the wires. pics would be awesome.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Shame it aint a Burb. Burb roof are open in the front. Maybe a 6" lip along the windshield.

Posted From Hell

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Sorry, no interior pic, but when I ran the antenna lead for the sat radio I was able to fish a wire through the existing hole in the roof over to the A-pillar. If your interior has the removeable plastic trim on the A-pillar you can hide the wire behind it.

You must be registered for see images attach

chubble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe K10
Engine Size
I have no headliner and no plastic trim on the pillars.

tanz45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Maybe stick a shop vac up inside the B pillar behind the seat and suck the wire down that way.

Would need to attach a light string to the wire atleast so the vac could pull that down. then pull through the wire.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I am in the same boat as you chubble. I also have no headliner or pillar trim. I do know the roofs are two layers of steel, so it is possible to hide the wires in the roof easily. The part I have not figured out is how to get the wires to the dash in a hidden manner down the pillar. I am not sure if the pillars are hollow and a wire can be fished down somehow. Or as tanz said run the wires down the back, then under the floor covering up to the dash. Can you elaborate on that tanz? Preferably with pics?!

chubble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe K10
Engine Size
I am in the same boat as you chubble. I also have no headliner or pillar trim. I do know the roofs are two layers of steel, so it is possible to hide the wires in the roof easily. The part I have not figured out is how to get the wires to the dash in a hidden manner down the pillar. I am not sure if the pillars are hollow and a wire can be fished down somehow. Or as tanz said run the wires down the back, then under the floor covering up to the dash. Can you elaborate on that tanz? Preferably with pics?!

Have you figured out a way to get in between the two layers? I'll probly route the wires with my speaker wires to the front or maybe with my interior light if I can figure out how to get the interior part of the roof separated.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I do not have my truck at home right now so I can't study it very hard, but I do know I have a couple of plastic plugs in my inner roof panel. I am hoping I can pop those out and have access to the space between the panels. I was hoping to run the wires for the roof lights along side the interior light, but I do not know if that goes forward across the roof or down the rear of the cab. As far as removing the inner roof panel, that is something I didn't really think of, and honestly do not even know if it is possible.

chubble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe K10
Engine Size
I read on another forum that the roof sections are not separable. Some people were saying you can fish them using a long hanger through the visor holes and those plugs that some people have in their trucks.

I'm going to see what I can figure out now, take the visors and cab light out and see if I think I can swing it.

X-cabsquarebody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
80, 80, 87, 91
Truck Model
C10, C10 ,K30 , 3500
Engine Size
305 TPI, 454, 8.1

When I ran my mirror wires, that's how I got mine through. I pushed a piece of welding wire through from the bottom. It helps to pull the left cab clearance light out to get some light in between the inner and outer panel in the cab.

82chevy350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Truck Year
1982, 1976
Truck Model
C10, K10, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
I wanna put some on my 76 k10 but not sure how Im gonna do it theres no trim or headliner!!

chubble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe K10
Engine Size

When I ran my mirror wires, that's how I got mine through. I pushed a piece of welding wire through from the bottom. It helps to pull the left cab clearance light out to get some light in between the inner and outer panel in the cab.

Thanks for the pic. Where did you route that bundle of wires once you got them all together? I thought about using my "Cargo light" switch right beside my head to run the clearance lights. I always keep it in the on position anyway, I could just make the cargo light a permanent connection and use the switch since it is already installed. I would only have to route one hot wire up that pillar. Run it under my rubber mats with my speaker wires, to the drivers side rear pillar. Drill one little hole and fish it up to the switch. My fog lights are on a separate switch from my headlights, I may use that, idk.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

X-cabsquarebody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
80, 80, 87, 91
Truck Model
C10, C10 ,K30 , 3500
Engine Size
305 TPI, 454, 8.1
All my wires run inside the A pillar. They come out through a hole up under the dash. Usually there's a rubber plug above the E-brake assembly.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
When I ran my mirror wires, that's how I got mine through. I pushed a piece of welding wire through from the bottom.

All my wires run inside the A pillar. They come out through a hole up under the dash. Usually there's a rubber plug above the E-brake assembly.

Ah ha! It is all starting to come together in my head now. The welding wire through the bottom means up under the dash to the top of the a-pillar correct? I have been wanting a temp/compass mirror ever since I had one in my '05, but like the roof lights, never really knew exactly were I could run wires to get down to under the dash. I wasn't sure if the a-pillars were open so you could run wires down them. Thank you for that information!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ls85c10man