Source for 4" backup lights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AaronW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
All:

Anybody got a source for some non LED 4" backup lights? I've got a flat bed I'm currently in the process of mounting. It's got two canisters for mounting the taillights, and two empty 4 1/2" holes that I'm guessing were for mounting backup lights.

Looking around the forum a bit, it looks to me like you can't just add LED lights to a regular system. While I'm at it, my flat bed as canisters on the sides, for a couple of running lights measuring slightly less than 3". I'd like to source a new set of thsoe, too. Looks like the originals were made by Grote.

Aaron

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Grote is still making lights.

Grote marker lights
Tail lights in 4" round holes:

You must be registered for see images attach

They mount with a rubber gasket.

You must be registered for see images attach

Many companies making these in incandescent and LED lights.

Signal-Stat, Federal-Mogul, Dietz as well as Grote.

Attachments

• 1698113797034.png
    1698113797034.png
    293.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 1698113862038.png
    1698113862038.png
    178.5 KB · Views: 16

Bloodhound1981

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
Looking around the forum a bit, it looks to me like you can't just add LED lights to a regular system.
Sure you can, the thing you have to take into consideration is for turn signals as you need a LED compatible flasher. But for marker and reverse lights there would be no issue getting LED.

mibars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michal
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
In older pre-CAN vehicles issues with LEDs is related to flashers, not to backup lamps or other lights.
Old style flashers use a bimetallic element that needs certain minimum load to operate with long enough interval, when bulb burns out or is replaced with low current drawing LED the interval shortens and flasher goes faster.

Common "fix" is to add a parallel resistor of correct value and power to the circuit so the current draw is still relatively high and flasher keeps correct tempo.

Reverse lamps - No issue. It's just a power and ground.

If by flatbed you mean a trailer and not a truck bed then the issue with flashers is resolved by the fact that you've already have required number of regular bulbs in the circuit.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
All:

Anybody got a source for some non LED 4" backup lights? I've got a flat bed I'm currently in the process of mounting. It's got two canisters for mounting the taillights, and two empty 4 1/2" holes that I'm guessing were for mounting backup lights.

Looking around the forum a bit, it looks to me like you can't just add LED lights to a regular system. While I'm at it, my flat bed as canisters on the sides, for a couple of running lights measuring slightly less than 3". I'd like to source a new set of thsoe, too. Looks like the originals were made by Grote.

Aaron
You can't add leds as a turn signal or other circuit where resistance is a factor,but there is no turn signal relay or dimmer circuit on backups,just a simple off/on,on 12v led won't be a problem for backups.

AaronW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
Ahh, thanks for the clarification on LED's, everyone. I clearly didn't read far enough into the subject to realize that this was only an issue with the flashers. This simplifies my life a good bit. And to clarify, it's a flat dump bed, not a trailer. I'm getting close enough to finished that I'll post a few pics to the build thread, here in another week or two.

Aaron

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If you switch to an electronic flasher (they are cheap) then you can run LED lights and the blinkers still work as intended. No messing with resistors.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad