Problem with Lights, Dash and Tail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smullen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I6
I know there have been tons of different light threads, mine seems a bit different than the others I've read.
That and I'm an idiot when it comes to Vehicles. I'm a network guy, who programs routers, writes scripts, a bit of HTML and makes the internet work.
I'm pretty much useless under the hood or with vehicles.

So on to my issue and possible things to look at.
I bought an 82 C10, long bed, Auto, Straight 6, its been lowered and fairly badly molested as far as wiring and things the P.O. has done. It had what looked to be Shag, house carpet in it, with cig butts under the seats and under the carpet. Thats all been stripped, vacuumed and cleaned.

The issue I'm concentrating on next is the lighting.
My headlights (Goofy LED ones) seem to work, high and low.
My Brake lights, Blinkers and Flashers seem to work correctly.
However, there is not a single light on/in the dash at all and no tail lights other than Brake, Blinker or Flash. I never checked the back ups come to think of it.

Typically Folks always say lighting issues are grounds, but never where.

I don't mind looking or digging, if I know where, how or what to do.

Can someone tell me a list of things to look at and how, like I'm a 3 year old. At this point, I'm feeling kind of overwhelmed.

I live out in the country and don't have any shops I trust, or know of any places that if I take it they won't dice it up, make it worse and give it back to me, saying, I dunno, Sorry bout your luck. 475.99 for the diag time.

I don't think its a bulb issue as NONE of them I described work, IF there was even 1, I'd think maybe.

I hope to get some time to look at it this weekend if it doesn't rain from Thursday till Tuesday.

I just want to get a plan of what to look at ahead of time.

Whats the chances its that headlight pull switch on the lower left of the dash?
Thanks for any help in advance and for dealing with an IDIOT!!!!

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
Fuse. Dash and tails use the same fuse so if the taillight circuit blows, the dash lights go out to alert the driver there is an issue.

There is still a chance it's the switch, but I'd start with fuses.

Dano500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Fuse. Dash and tails use the same fuse so if the taillight circuit blows, the dash lights go out to alert the driver there is an issue.

There is still a chance it's the switch, but I'd start with fuses.
What switch, Scott? My dash lights are completely out, but all my exterior lights do work. I was searching around and found this thread.

Thanks for any advice,
Dan

Jgonick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I believe he was referring to the Headlight pull switch. (It rotates to set brightness of dash lights) If it goes bad it can cause you to lose dash lights.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
What switch, Scott? My dash lights are completely out, but all my exterior lights do work. I was searching around and found this thread.

Thanks for any advice,
Dan

I believe he was referring to the Headlight pull switch. (It rotates to set brightness of dash lights) If it goes bad it can cause you to lose dash lights.

@Jgonick is correct.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag