No dash lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Karter33

Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I recently purchased a 1981 Chevy K10 pickup. None of the dash lights or the gas gauge worked at that time. I have rebuilt the gauge cluster with a new gas gauge, new circuit board, all new sockets and bulbs. I have also put a new headlight switch in and replaced 1 turn signal socket. My problem is that I have no dash lights. All the gauges are working. The only lights that light up on the dash is the brake light, fasten seatbelt and the left turn signal will flash when turned on. All the outside lights work as they should (running lights, head lights, turn signals, blinkers, brake lights and the tag light). All the fuses are good. I am lost and don't know what else to check. The truck does not have the original steering column in it. Could this have something to do with it? Thanks for any help.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Steering column, less likely, only if it has a light for the key.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Okay instrument lights, power from the parking/ taillight fuse to the headlight switch. Through the dial resistor in the switch back to the fuse panel. Through the 5 amp fuse then to the connector on the instrument panel. Lots of places to loose a connection.

So split up the system like this first: With your test light on a good ground. Turn the lights on and probe the 5 amp fuse. You should have a light on your test light and you can dim it by turning the knob on the headlight switch.

If the light does not light the bad connection is possibly bad at the headlight switch. Also could be bad at the back of the fuse panel. If the test lights up from the first test then you need to check the connection at the instrument panel.

You did say the headlight switch is new. Can you feel the dial resistor when you turn the knob. This all will give you a place to start.

Karter33

Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
OK. Got the dash lights working, (Bad connection on the headlight switch) But no turn signal indicator lights. Turn signals work fine outside and I can hear them clicking but no inside lights.

romcjr

Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
May need to pull the cluster and check the bulbs . Could also replace with led bulbs , much brighter . Good luck !!!

David King

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
If they are the standard "peanut" bulbs, you may have to turn them 180 degrees for them to light up. Found that out the hard way! Than swapped them all out with LED's, much better!

Reaction score
First Name
Andreas
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Aha, so there are LEDs for dash lights! The original ones are so week so I have longed for stronger ones for years. Where to buy these LED ones?

Randy and Easton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 LWB
Engine Size

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
OK. Got the dash lights working, (Bad connection on the headlight switch) But no turn signal indicator lights. Turn signals work fine outside and I can hear them clicking but no inside lights.
Reference the above posted wiring diagram..... The turn indicator dash bulbs share the same circuits with the front turn signal lights. The blue wire coming off the T/S switch splits off on the harness side and one "leg" goes to the right dash indicator light, while the other "leg" goes to the right front turn indicator light. The light blue wire does the same thing for the left side. If the front turn indicators work as they should, the problem is NOT in the T/S switch, so no need to go into the steering column.. You either have bad bulbs or there is an open somewhere between the split and the printed circuit board. Could be the "ears" of the P/C board are broken or bent out of place and not making contact with the printed circuit connector plug, or the bulb socket isn't making good contact with the P/C trace..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag