What is you headlight setup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Subourbon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 suburban
Engine Size
6.2 V8
I love driving my squarebody, during the day. At night I still do but it's less fun because of the lights.

So I've got the stock sealed beam headlight with the male prongs sticking out into the engine bay, and female connectors from the harness that come into it.

I've got the hi beam switch next to the pedals (makes f-all difference honestly). As well I've got aftermarket round off road lights, that I use when visibility is really bad.
My truck is a 1982. I have noticed that my lights are in the bumper rather than the two square lights stacked on top of each other in the grill, which i think would look nicer, the classic squarebody look.
See pic for what I'm describing.
It looks like it's plenty bright but truth be told, those new hyundais with the collapsed sun for headlights, I swear, their lights illuminate more in front of me than my own lights, while their behind me, and when they come around facing me, I'm temporarily blinded. It's absolutely insane, fun when you're driving (a rental i drove had that) but being on the receiving end of those headlights, oh my God

Have any of you gone after market for lights. I'm not looking to blind other people, I like to think I'm more considerate than that but I would like to be able to see more comfortably. I mean, its fine when I'm on a back road with no streetlights or other cars because I'm the only source of light, I'm good. But at soon as another car or streetlight pops up, I may as well have my lights off.

So, I'm looking on Amazon, for a set of square headlights to fit, and there's also the wiring harness. Is there a combo that worked for you?

Also, a thread on here, a guy was saying that, the light switch module powers the lights, not the battery.
It goes battery -》 to inside switch module which takes power to run -》 which In turn dims the lights. If you were to put a simpler switch, and power the lights directly from battery, you'd be alright, I don't fully understand thar. I mean the off road light I have are that set up grounded, to battery, to switch in the cab.

Also, if you were to go LED route, that same switch wouldn't be able to power a newer set of LEDs. I'm saying LED as an example I don't care what style I just want to be able to see.

I'm just wondering if any of you have a good clear set up and not too much screwing around running wires.

So I took two screenshots, one of an example of headlight I'm looking at, and the other of a wiring harness that is "frequently bought with" the headlight I chose.

Sorry for the lentgh of the post, I just want to start a discussion especially with going with a modern flavour with technology from the 80s!

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240110_112702_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20240110_112702_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot_20240110_112717_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20240110_112717_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 20220506_220151.jpg
    20220506_220151.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 49

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
I've got a Hella on one side and a sealed on the other lol, I'm going to buy new bulbs and readjust. I like the Hellas allot. There glass and look normal. And there pretty bright too.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I bought Hella housings/buckets to use 9003 bulbs. Much brighter than sealed beams and not obnoxious like LEDs.

Itali83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
1982, 1987, 1987
Truck Model
K10, 'burban C10, Jimmy
Engine Size
350, 6.2, 350
I daily drive my squares and leave for work at 2a.m. So driving in the dark every day. I was looking into aftermarket lights, H4 halogens leds etc etc. I made my own relay harness to pull power directly from the battery and man, my factory style sealed beams are plenty bright. Night and day (pun intended) difference from before.

Any aftermarket light set up you get is going to be a disappointment if you’re only pushing 11.5 volts to them like I was before running relays and getting full 14.2 battery voltage while running.

Try that first and see how you like it. If not, then when you get whatever aftermarket set up, you’ll be getting the full potential out of them as well.

Ben

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
You'll want a relay kit for the lights to take the strain off the switch and run them off the battery.

Edit: I see @Itali83 mentioned relays before I hit "POST"

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
I daily drive my squares and leave for work at 2a.m. So driving in the dark every day. I was looking into aftermarket lights, H4 halogens leds etc etc. I made my own relay harness to pull power directly from the battery and man, my factory style sealed beams are plenty bright. Night and day (pun intended) difference from before.

Any aftermarket light set up you get is going to be a disappointment if you’re only pushing 11.5 volts to them like I was before running relays and getting full 14.2 battery voltage while running.

Try that first and see how you like it. If not, then when you get whatever aftermarket set up, you’ll be getting the full potential out of them as well.

Ben
That's really good advice for anyone on here.

87gmcburb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic Suburban
I love driving my squarebody, during the day. At night I still do but it's less fun because of the lights.

So I've got the stock sealed beam headlight with the male prongs sticking out into the engine bay, and female connectors from the harness that come into it.

I've got the hi beam switch next to the pedals (makes f-all difference honestly). As well I've got aftermarket round off road lights, that I use when visibility is really bad.
My truck is a 1982. I have noticed that my lights are in the bumper rather than the two square lights stacked on top of each other in the grill, which i think would look nicer, the classic squarebody look.
See pic for what I'm describing.
It looks like it's plenty bright but truth be told, those new hyundais with the collapsed sun for headlights, I swear, their lights illuminate more in front of me than my own lights, while their behind me, and when they come around facing me, I'm temporarily blinded. It's absolutely insane, fun when you're driving (a rental i drove had that) but being on the receiving end of those headlights, oh my God

Have any of you gone after market for lights. I'm not looking to blind other people, I like to think I'm more considerate than that but I would like to be able to see more comfortably. I mean, its fine when I'm on a back road with no streetlights or other cars because I'm the only source of light, I'm good. But at soon as another car or streetlight pops up, I may as well have my lights off.

So, I'm looking on Amazon, for a set of square headlights to fit, and there's also the wiring harness. Is there a combo that worked for you?

Also, a thread on here, a guy was saying that, the light switch module powers the lights, not the battery.
It goes battery -》 to inside switch module which takes power to run -》 which In turn dims the lights. If you were to put a simpler switch, and power the lights directly from battery, you'd be alright, I don't fully understand thar. I mean the off road light I have are that set up grounded, to battery, to switch in the cab.

Also, if you were to go LED route, that same switch wouldn't be able to power a newer set of LEDs. I'm saying LED as an example I don't care what style I just want to be able to see.

I'm just wondering if any of you have a good clear set up and not too much screwing around running wires.

So I took two screenshots, one of an example of headlight I'm looking at, and the other of a wiring harness that is "frequently bought with" the headlight I chose.

Sorry for the lentgh of the post, I just want to start a discussion especially with going with a modern flavour with technology from the 80s!

Thanks
Some people might like them but I run LEDs. I do a LOT of night driving and with a 4 headlight set up like my 87 work great and I am in somewhat rural area and the brights on a 4 buld LED set up is better than my new F 150 with HIDs

Subourbon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 suburban
Engine Size
6.2 V8
@squaredeal91Ive seen the name hella dropped all over forums here n there. Seems like they're a popular choice.

@DoubleDingo yeah the LEDs on cars now are just blinding, like I said it's great when you're driving and see the clarity you get but man, there's gotta be a limit on those things.

@Itali83 i daily drive mine too, love it.
whats your home made set up? Ill be honest im worthless at wiring. Coz that switch controls dash lights head and tail lights. Dim setting as well as interior cabin light. I dont care much bout dimming gauge lights but the rest is Important.
Do you still control your direct to battery sealed beams from that switch?

Driving at night is my personal hell. Got Lasik few years ago, no complaints except for night driving. Holy cow.

Thanks everybody for your posts, this is pretty helpful!

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size

R Carnella

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V2500
Engine Size
I run hella buckets.
Led's for low beams) and halogens for high beams.
And some led driving lights down low. Very happy with this setup. Had to keep some halogens to melt any snow or ice that can build up in the winter. Also used the lmc headlight harness and wired so all 4 stay on when high beams are on.
I spent alot of time aiming these to not blind oncoming traffic
You must be registered for see images attach

Itali83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
1982, 1987, 1987
Truck Model
K10, 'burban C10, Jimmy
Engine Size
350, 6.2, 350
@squaredeal91Ive seen the name hella dropped all over forums here n there. Seems like they're a popular choice.

@DoubleDingo yeah the LEDs on cars now are just blinding, like I said it's great when you're driving and see the clarity you get but man, there's gotta be a limit on those things.

@Itali83 i daily drive mine too, love it.
whats your home made set up? Ill be honest im worthless at wiring. Coz that switch controls dash lights head and tail lights. Dim setting as well as interior cabin light. I dont care much bout dimming gauge lights but the rest is Important.
Do you still control your direct to battery sealed beams from that switch?

Driving at night is my personal hell. Got Lasik few years ago, no complaints except for night driving. Holy cow.

Thanks everybody for your posts, this is pretty helpful!
Everything is controlled like factory. I just use the factory wiring under the hood to turn on my relays instead of the actual light bulb and the relays turn on the light bulbs. I’m a professional technician so I wasn’t about to pay for a relay kit that I can wire and fit to my liking but any relay kit will work fine or you can look up how a relay works and I’m sure there’s a million good sources with pictures that’ll explain better than I can type here. But if you need specific help or questions always feel free to ask.

Ben

Randy and Easton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 LWB
Engine Size
Easton wants to do LED but not a top of the list item at the moment. We had a mess of our lights from PO so we did the American autowire relay kit which allowed us to clean up all the mess firewall forward and now that we are battery direct to headlights Eaton is really happy with the light output difference.

Attachments

• IMG_0804.jpeg
    IMG_0804.jpeg
    164.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1006.jpeg
    IMG_1006.jpeg
    186.9 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0797.jpeg
    IMG_0797.jpeg
    119.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0780.jpeg
    IMG_0780.jpeg
    96.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0785.jpeg
    IMG_0785.jpeg
    123.1 KB · Views: 54

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I bought Hella housings/buckets to use 9003 bulbs. Much brighter than sealed beams and not obnoxious like LEDs.
We have the same setup, but I also have the Hella 550 (clear) fog lights.

As for the difference between sealed beam halogens and the Hella buckets with 9003, the difference is huge! My truck went from having the worst headlight out of all of my vehicles, to the best.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad