Rooftop AC for Overlanding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
First Name
uncle nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
v8
Does anyone have any suggestions for a rooftop air-conditioning unit that I can build my roof rack around?

I take my dog with me camping, so I want to make sure I can leave the unit run and have it efficiently cool the truck when the motor is turned off and my dog is inside.

I was looking at 12 V models but they are pretty comparable in price so I’m wondering if I should just go for the 120 V and run a generator when I’m camping? And if I do this would it stop me from also having the unit run when the truck is running since it would almost be standalone?
My thought here is to run a power inverter, but I’m not sure I could put a inverter in there safely to run a unit that Big without there being a fire concern.

Anyway, here is the link to the 212 V units I’m looking at if anyone is familiar with them and if anyone has done this and has any suggestions for unit type and placement I would really appreciate it

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I would look into the old campers with the van front ends - they have smaller units than the huge CDL-required rigs. My uncle had one and it would freeze meat if you wanted it too. I bet there are MANY types and sizes in that club to choose from. You're definitely in custom-mod territory.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad