Rear Window Sliding Glass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atvjoey

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC r15
Engine Size
So I looked through this forum and didn't really get a clear answer and I was wondering if anyone can help me out. I am missing the trim piece in the center of my rear sliding glass. I am brand new to the square body platform and I do not know if this is factory but I am wondering whether or not I need to install an entirely new rear window or if there is a way to replace the missing piece(s). Here is a picture of the truck. If anybody knows where to buy this piece that would be very helpful information to keep my truck dry. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• photo1631831215.jpeg
    photo1631831215.jpeg
    147.4 KB · Views: 205

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Even if that is a factory rear slider, which I don't really know how to identify that, I would think that parts like that would be completely obsolete. Probably the only realistic solution is to install a new aftermarket unit, of your favorite type.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Ya'll are correct. The only way to fix this, Joe is to get a used frame and take the piece out of it or buy a new rear window. There are plenty of them on the market. I believe that maybe in the late '70's GM did offer a sliding window for pickups. It's identified by a heavy frame, polished aluminum or painted black, and the two center windows slide apart. Is that the piece that is missing, the center locking and handles mech.? Heck, contact @AuroraGirl and see if she might have one laying around (literally).

atvjoey

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC r15
Engine Size
Ya'll are correct. The only way to fix this, Joe is to get a used frame and take the piece out of it or buy a new rear window. There are plenty of them on the market. I believe that maybe in the late '70's GM did offer a sliding window for pickups. It's identified by a heavy frame, polished aluminum or painted black, and the two center windows slide apart. Is that the piece that is missing, the center locking and handles mech.? Heck, contact @AuroraGirl and see if she might have one laying around (literally).
Yes that is the piece that is missing. The windows are a 2 piece that slide out from the middle. I bought a latch in case I find one because I'm not ready to pull the glass yet since it was resealed recently and is in great shape. Sadly in NJ there are next to no squarebody's in any junkyards by me so I'm gonna tape it and hope I find one at some point.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
oh yeah I forgto about that

You must be registered for see images attach

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

but the pieces on the junk cab are there, with a latch
here is my truck with its slider, but I would keep that because I dont have a window to put in lOl

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
In the meantime, a small strip of clear vinyl protectant like Clear Bra will seal it up nicely and be virtually invisible for probably 20 years.
To find some, I’d suggest searching FB and CL in other areas of the country or anywhere really. There are a lot of guys parting out squares. Several around here locally. Might cost you $50 to have someone take apart and ship, but new window is $200+ plus install.

atvjoey

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC r15
Engine Size
Yeah I am trying to find junk trucks with the sliding window but to no avail. Mine is definitely not factory because mine looks nothing like that so I have a feeling finding that center piece will be difficult

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Yeah I am trying to find junk trucks with the sliding window but to no avail. Mine is definitely not factory because mine looks nothing like that so I have a feeling finding that center piece will be difficult
can you show us? some aftermarket ones have support for parts or someone may just have parts

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
And a lot of sliders have the same technology.. may have something somewhere and it not be so obvious. Any manufacture indicators on the glass in the corners or part numbers etc anything
what color is the frame
is it a dual pane slider or a single pane
is it tinted
SHOw USSSSS

Also, if you cant find a part, a new slider with modern design and quality tint can be had for not a lot of money, so you may decide to go new. YOu can install it yourself if you have patience some youtube learning and a window!!
some soapy water too helps lol

Show usss

atvjoey

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC r15
Engine Size
And a lot of sliders have the same technology.. may have something somewhere and it not be so obvious. Any manufacture indicators on the glass in the corners or part numbers etc anything
what color is the frame
is it tinted
SHOw USSSSS

Also, if you cant find a part, a new slider with modern design and quality tint can be had for not a lot of money, so you may decide to go new. YOu can install it yourself if you have patience some youtube learning and a window!!

Show usss
all right all right! I took more pictures but it is raining out today so they might not be the best.

atvjoey

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC r15
Engine Size
what color is the frame
is it tinted
SHOw USSSSS

Show usss
here are some more

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
definitely not OE. If you know the seals are perfectly fine all around beside the middle of course, you would be best trying to track parts probably but if you have any sealing or sliding issues, I would just put the effort to a new unit. But definitely not a bad looking slider.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timk