Sliding Window Restoration Tips Please?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
So it looks like you have an original sliding rear window.. definitely worth repairing. If you were removing it, it can be dismantled and overhauled. I just restored one and sold it to guy in New York.
Yes, the clear glass adhesive that you mentioned will work on the frame. Clean any debris from the track And lubricate. BTW those window gaskets for the factory sliders are hard to find! I hear that Precision Rubber Products has one coming soon.
Replacement latches are available.

My truck's window has the exact same ailments as Sam's. I learned to live with it. It's nice to know that seals may be in the works.

Also, I didn't even notice the typo until it was pointed out, lol. I did fix it though.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Thank you @SirRobyn0 !!! I will give it a shot. I can definitely see that the grooves have become dusty. I will air spray them, then alcohol swipe out the rest. Once dry, I will try the silicone WD40 I have in the garage.
WD-40 silicone is my favorite type of spray silicone.

brooksman9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado & Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
350 & 305
So is this a factory or aftermarket window? And the weatherstripping I was referring to are seen in the bottom of the slider. Replacements or can you fix? Hope I'm not high jacking.
You must be registered for see images attach

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
So is this a factory or aftermarket window? And the weatherstripping I was referring to are seen in the bottom of the slider. Replacements or can you fix? Hope I'm not high jacking.
That’s an aftermarket or Dealer installed Pass-Port (or similar) slider.
I don’t believe any of the seals are available. Probably have to improvise. The widow gasket is available because it’s the same one used for solid back glass.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
My suggestion is to glue that loose piece of rubber down, and brush the other side, I still can't remember what that's called, but it's a bristly thing that helps with sealing and rattles. After the glue is dry on the rubber part treat it with silicone spray a couple times. From bit I can see in the picture that window should be an easy rehab and is in better condition than mine started out it.

Which leads me to my next statement. Your slider looks exactly like mine. I technically misspoke when I said that it was "factory" mine is a dealer installed Passport and I'm sure yours was too.

Even though these sliders have some downsides in compared to new units they are totally irreplaceable.

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
I'm waiting for the single pane version to come back in stock from whoever makes them. I like this better, probably because it's modern.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I'm waiting for the single pane version to come back in stock from whoever makes them. I like this better, probably because it's modern.
Oh ya my Dad had a single pane in his 78, IDK I think he installed it around 84ish, black and slightly tinted just like the modern ones.

brooksman9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 & 305

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 305

brooksman9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 & 305
I dont think mine is original though from your previous comments. So wouldn't that be the correct one I posted?

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 305
I dont think mine is original though from your previous comments. So wouldn't that be the correct one I posted?
Yes, that’s the correct seal (WBL 1135) if you have solid back glass or an aftermarket slider with the flange on the frame.
I see your previous posted photo, so yes WBL 1135

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad