Sliding Window Restoration Tips Please?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
I have decided I am going to try and get more life out of my sliding glass back window and touch it up rather than replace it. It seems possible anyway. The first time I opened my sliding window(probably a year ago) the metal sills on the glass panes that slide, came off when I tried to close them. I am guessing they just need new adhesive to stay on? I have also figured out the best way to open and close without having to pull on the metal sill as to avoid pulling them from the glass. I recently glued my rear view mirror back on and am thinking the glue for that would work great in this application metal to glass, thoughts?
Also, what if anything should I lube the groove the glass panes slide in with? They definitely do not slide with ease anymore. It seems like they definitely need some greasing. Let me know what you guys got.

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
Do you plan on removing the window from the truck for restoration or just try to repair it while in place? Does your window have welded seams (corners) Or is it original style that can be dismantled?

brooksman9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado & Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
350 & 305
What about the weather strip seals, ask about those JamesSam. You know, just in case anyone else is curious. :)

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
Do you plan on removing the window from the truck for restoration or just try to repair it while in place? Does your window have welded seams (corners) Or is it original style that can be dismantled?
Was planning to repair in place. I don't think it has welded seams. I think it is the original window. I should have taken pictures earlier when the sun was up but here are a couple from just now.
You must be registered for see images attach

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
The very first pic I posted is the window open about halfway so you can see the inside of the metal frame on the edge of the glass, FYI.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
Would bar soap in the grooves be good? Or, maybe surf wax/candle wax? Jarring wax seems like it would help...

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
Uuuugghhh. I can't believe I posted it as "Siding Window.."
Idiot!!!

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
Damn super computer in the palm of my hand. Can't type worth a ....

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
No worries, I do that stuff too lol

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@JamesSam I have what I think is a factory sider in my truck so it may differ a little from yours. I would not recommend lubing the slides if it's just a metal slide. Mine is metal frame and slides. Instead of rubber seals around the sliding panes it has... A material I cannot remember the name off but it's more like a fabric and gets clogged and matted from debris over the years and carefully cleaning it and brush it brings it back to life. If your slider has rubber seals I'd start by cleaning it up with rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip. Make sure you get all the way down in the crack, and get it really clean. Then I'd treat the rubber with whatever your favorite silicone spray is. I'd do all the rubber three times right then, and then I'd do it a few week later, and a few more weeks later and then forget about it. It's amazing how much that kind of treatment can bring rubber back to life as long as it isn't cracked. I would not put any kind of grease in it, because it'll attract dirt. If you slider rattles it's very likely the clasp can be tightened up to hold it shut a little tighter. Hopefully that is helpful.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
Thank you @SirRobyn0 !!! I will give it a shot. I can definitely see that the grooves have become dusty. I will air spray them, then alcohol swipe out the rest. Once dry, I will try the silicone WD40 I have in the garage.

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
Was planning to repair in place. I don't think it has welded seams. I think it is the original window. I should have taken pictures earlier when the sun was up but here are a couple from just now.
So it looks like you have an original sliding rear window.. definitely worth repairing. If you were removing it, it can be dismantled and overhauled. I just restored one and sold it to guy in New York.
Yes, the clear glass adhesive that you mentioned will work on the frame. Clean any debris from the track And lubricate. BTW those window gaskets for the factory sliders are hard to find! I hear that Precision Rubber Products has one coming soon.
Replacement latches are available.

Last edited:

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
So it looks like you have an original sliding rear window.. definitely worth repairing. If you were removing it, it can be dismantled and overhauled. I just restored one and sold it to guy in New York.
Yes, the clear glass adhesive that you mentioned will work on the frame. Clean any debris from the track And lubricate. BTW those window gaskets for the factory sliders are hard to find! I hear that Precision Rubber Products has one coming soon.
Replacement latches are available.
Thanks @FireTruck1984 !!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad