Vent Window/Back Window Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
Hey All,
I have been going back and forth trying to talk myself in to replacing or refurbishing the vent and sliding glass back window on my truck. I don't think it would really be possible unless my wife and kids were out of town and/or I could borrow garage space for at least 4 to 5 days. Currently working on permanent weather cover for the truck. Our single car garage is loaded with all of our life activities. Basically storage for baseball, softball, basketball(coaching equipment for all 3 of those also),biking, skateboarding, landscaping etc...
To the point, I want to ask a few questions on this:
-Should I reach out to a restoration shop for this if I get someone else's help? I feel like this would be better than asking the garage I take the truck to for maintenance.
-What is an estimate I might be looking at for outside professional work for this.
- Does anybody recommend a particular grage in the greater Richmond and surrounding areas for this by chance?
Let me know, thanks in advance.

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
I'm told it's not a particularly difficult job, but I can't say that from personal experience. If you pick a nice weather week, you should be able to get it done in the driveway. Unless I'm just not getting it.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
Buy a Man Shed and put all the stuff in your garage in it.
Charge the kids rent to store their stuff. That'll offset the cost.
I have been considering buying a shed, seriously, to put all garage stuff into but we potentially could be moving in to a house with a 2 car garage in the next year or so. Seeing how it goes.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
I'm told it's not a particularly difficult job, but I can't say that from personal experience. If you pick a nice weather week, you should be able to get it done in the driveway. Unless I'm just not getting it.
Yes I have thought about that and have done window work in the driveway on nice days but don't know enough about the back window to feel that secure yet with all other things going on.

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
I disagree. The vent windows were the worst part of my whole project! Parts that were shipped wrong, added to the parts that were unobtanium. The only thing that went smooth was the rivet replacement, only cause me and rivets are bff's. I would buy a set from the junk yard and send them out to that rebuild shop if I had to do it over.
Eric

vr1967

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Virgil
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
6.2L turbo
The vent windows can be a bear at times.

I have a set I need to do, and I’ll try to remember to take pictures when I do them. Biggest problem I have now is my arthritis and working /tugging the rubber and the small parts.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'd buy a brand new rear slider and install myself in an hour. They are available in both 3 pane and 4 pane for $300-400. Or remove your factory slider and install a used fixed glass window while you rebuild and swap out. They aren't that hard to install yourself.

For the vent windows, there is a place in AZ that sells them exchange and I'd suggest you do that unless you have experience as they are a PITA unless you've done a few and know the tricks. Also, you have to have them out for extended period while you paint/ assemble, etc. Or order, re-order, re-order again as you keep getting wrong parts.

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Precision Rubber in Wisconsin I think did mine. It was a number of weeks for the turn around but they are probably better than new

Bloodhound1981

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
Having Precision refurb mine was possibly the best money I spent on my build. They did a 10x better job than I ever could have.

gofast321

Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I can't comment on the back window but I rebuilt my vent windows in my 88 Suburban a couple of years ago and like you, I was dreading the process. However it was my first time rebuilding vent windows and it really wasn't that bad. You could easily do it in one day. Honestly the most difficult part is getting the vent frame out of the door frame and you would have to do that anyway to send them out for someone else to rebuild them. Just pick a nice weather day, have all your new parts laid out and take your time. The pivot rivet can be tricky because the rivet tool you get with most kits isn't awesome. I think I took pictures of my rebuild. I'll post them if I can find them.

Here is a link to two videos that should help walk you through the process.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

84GMCSierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
I'd buy a brand new rear slider and install myself in an hour. They are available in both 3 pane and 4 pane for $300-400. Or remove your factory slider and install a used fixed glass window while you rebuild and swap out. They aren't that hard to install yourself.

For the vent windows, there is a place in AZ that sells them exchange and I'd suggest you do that unless you have experience as they are a PITA unless you've done a few and know the tricks. Also, you have to have them out for extended period while you paint/ assemble, etc. Or order, re-order, re-order again as you keep getting wrong parts.
What's the name of the place? Website? I'm up near Sedona

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@84GMCSierra

Tom Korinek / Truckin' Krazy in Mesa 480-241-1318, he's a new/ used parts dealer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod