Rear wheels are sucked in way more than front. K10. Adapters? BAD IDEA? pics inside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I would never use an adapter on anything, but a spacer I would, longer wheel stud and probably an aluminum spacer, I think adapting to a different lug pattern is pretty stupid, but I dont really see where installing a spacer as long as wheel studs are long enough to get full engagememt of the lug nut is such a big deal.
Ever push on the top of a fence post to wiggle it loose? Ever push on the bottom of a fence post to wiggle it loose? The chances of any of us having a problem with a spacer or an adapter is pretty low,but not nonexistent. But if your wheel falls off and you die at least you were doing something you enjoyed,not like the guy who was mowing his lawn when he got hit by your wheel.

Last edited:

Blackbeard44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.0 LS
i think we are thinking of different parts here, I'm not interested in a bolt on spacer/adapter tjat first bolts on and than uses a second set of studs to the wheels, if thats the case I hear ya and would not use that, but a thick piece of aluminum and longer wheel studs doesnt bother me

Blackbeard44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.0 LS
since your that concerned I hope your not running "C" clip axles anymore

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
since your that concerned I hope your not running "C" clip axles anymore
No matter how you slice it,adding another piece that CAN fail isn't as safe as not adding that piece in the first place. Unless said piece is to prevent a failure. I think, as I've said before, I doubt any of us will have a problem,but the chance is still there. Helll I'll probably never need my seat belt,that doesn't mean that they are a bad idea.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Start at 2:47 time mark. I would never use a spacer more that a half inch thick and I would never
use a adapter more than 2 inch thick. I have ran 1.5 adapters on 500HP street cars with ZERO ISSUES!!
Its all in the material and brand you use. Buy cheap stuff that are NOT HUBCENTRIC and your will be like
those videos on youtube about how your wheel came off for no reason.

BORA off road bulletproof adapters are all I have ever used when I needed them. NOT CHEAP, but you
never seen me make a post on how my wheel fell off. Also All off roaders use this brand with ZERO negative
feedback. Like I said, buy cheap stuff and you will pay later. Check out the website.

You must be registered for see images attach

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
here is a comparison from the k20 and k10. The k20 looks almost normal due to the big tires.
the k10 looks weird due to the small tires. I may even go 235/75/15 :33: I want that simple old
man truck look. Nothing fancy. Thats what I have the k20 for.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX

and here is the small tire K10 again, more than obvious

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I know a guy who is running spacers on his '92 1500 because he's running a set of S-10 wheels. They initially came loose & f-ed up his ORIGINAL lug studs and he had to fix a few. Do what you want, everyone is advising you not to run spacers but you're wanting to do it anyway. Why'd you even ask? You can give a monkey a banana, but you can't make him eat...
I think you are attacking the wrong guy here. @Blackbeard44 NEVER asked anything. This thread was started by @Nasty-LSX who had a legitimate question.

There really is no reason for anyone to be mean or get upset here.

@Ricko1966 I completely agree with you that anytime you add a component, you are adding another thing that can fail. I also agree that with the spacer we are adding leverage. The laws of physics say so, in spite of any personal opinions we may have.

Everything that you say is exactly why I was going to remove the spacers from my '87. The different track widths never bothered me and I grew up with these things. It certainly doesn't help with cornering and handling as far as I can tell so it is strictly a cosmetic "upgrade" to add them.

Again, the ONLY reason I haven't removed my spacers is because Pop was so happy about them. I never expected that...and making people happy is what this Old Truck is all about.

1x1_Speed_Craig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1986/1985
Truck Model
1986 M1008, 1985 M1028
Engine Size
6.2L diesel
I won't argue that it does indeed help with traction to some degree. But that was just A reason, not THE reason.

Most consumers would rather have a wider rear axle to match the front, traction be damned. They don't wish to have a goofy looking rear track width. But, it saved a bunch of time and money to have one rear axle width for all the trucks, which then became "Oh yeah, we did that specifically for traction. Please ignore the goofy look... we did it just to benefit you" sales pitch.

Older 4N cars are like this - rears are usually 3+ inches more narrow. The manufacturers official reason was that the front track being wider was more stable and the rears being more narrow was to help with over-steer.

Never stopped people from spacing them out.

I'm sure that Doppleganger is on to something here. It's not a GM-specific thing. Jeeps had narrower rear axles than the fronts, as well. For example, wide-track CJs ('80s-era) had front axles that were about 2" wider than the rear (56.5" front, 54.5" rear).

Craig

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I think you are attacking the wrong guy here. @Blackbeard44 NEVER asked anything. This thread was started by @Nasty-LSX who had a legitimate question.

There really is no reason for anyone to be mean or get upset here.

I knew @Blackbeard44 never asked the original question, he was just commenting on adding the spacers & persistent that people's opinion were meaningless in this case. I wasn't trying to be mean, I could care less if he throws 12" spacers on the back & drives around with loose lugnuts, it's his truck. My reference to the monkey was merely making a point about people ask for others opinions, get several stating facts, and they won't/don't listen any how.

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I would never use an adapter on anything, but a spacer I would, longer wheel stud and probably an aluminum spacer, I think adapting to a different lug pattern is pretty stupid, but I dont really see where installing a spacer as long as wheel studs are long enough to get full engagememt of the lug nut is such a big deal.
I don't think you'll be able to add a spacer much thicker than 3/8" without adding longer lug studs. None of my trucks have ever had an extra 3/4" of lug stud left after the nut was on.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Only time I ever used spacers was if a customer asked me to - and it was 1000% aesthetics - never on a car that would autocross, etc.

And the only ones I ever used were German made hub-centric spacers that bolted on using the original studs / counter sunk nuts, then used offset studs on the spacers to hang the wheel.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I won't get into the discussion of whether or not wheel spacers are safe, because that's a never ending discussion.

BUT, I will say that thick, slide-on type spacers with long wheel studs are a recipe for absolute disaster. Especially something in the 1.5"-2" range. Please don't do that.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
I won't get into the discussion of whether or not wheel spacers are safe, because that's a never ending discussion.

BUT, I will say that thick, slide-on type spacers with long wheel studs are a recipe for absolute disaster. Especially something in the 1.5"-2" range. Please don't do that.
Very true. I believe the thinnest adapter you can get is 1/2 inch. A spacer is suicide if not custom built PERIOD!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1987R10Man