Rear wheels are sucked in way more than front. K10. Adapters? BAD IDEA? pics inside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
The '88-'98 style trucks with the newer style body.
Correct - it's the internal program code.

It went GMT400, then GMT800, then GMT900, then K2 (maybe) and then I don't remember - seems like there was a "T1" in there somewhere.

What might not be obvious is you can then build additional information into the program code, like GMT820 = short utility, GMT830 = long utility. GMT820C = Cadillac, GMT830D = Denali. GMT805 = Avalanche etc.

K

R Carnella

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V2500
Engine Size
I've been using these wheel spacers for the last two years with no issues. For the first 6 months i would periodically retorque the lugs and found no changes.
My real concern was they would loosen, but that fear is gone now. And i love how the rear wheels fit now.
You must be registered for see images attach
Just my experience.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
I've been using these wheel spacers for the last two years with no issues. For the first 6 months i would periodically retorque the lugs and found no changes.
My real concern was they would loosen, but that fear is gone now. And i love how the rear wheels fit now.
Just my experience.
BAD A$$ R Carnella Thank you for the Pics. :happy160:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Correct - it's the internal program code.

It went GMT400, then GMT800, then GMT900, then K2 (maybe) and then I don't remember - seems like there was a "T1" in there somewhere.

What might not be obvious is you can then build additional information into the program code, like GMT820 = short utility, GMT830 = long utility. GMT820C = Cadillac, GMT830D = Denali. GMT805 = Avalanche etc.

K
so if the first gen Chevy Colorado is GMT 355 and the Avalanche is a GMT 805, does that make the chevy avacado a GMT 450 (the difference between 805 and 355) or does it make it a GMT 1160(the sum of those two)?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Just my experience.

Either your bump stop for your rear leaf is missing or its a small tiny one lol

Wallace6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I'm sure that Doppleganger is on to something here. It's not a GM-specific thing. Jeeps had narrower rear axles than the fronts, as well. For example, wide-track CJs ('80s-era) had front axles that were about 2" wider than the rear (56.5" front, 54.5" rear).

Craig
Scouts had a narrower rear track as well, and the travelall as well. Seems pretty common in the 70s on vehicles with front leaf springs, especially when the 40* steer axles came out. There had to be enough clearance for full steer without hitting the springs.
Might have been easier for the lighter Ford's since they had coils, still had to worry about radius arms
Still don't know exactly why rears are usually narrow.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Just my experience.
There it is again. The best looking burb ever!

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
so if the first gen Chevy Colorado is GMT 355 and the Avalanche is a GMT 805, does that make the chevy avacado a GMT 450 (the difference between 805 and 355) or does it make it a GMT 1160(the sum of those two)?
Doesn't matter. The avalanche is the ugliest vehicle GM ever produced! This avocado thing is just as hideous....just in a smaller portion. :doublepuke:

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Doesn't matter. The avalanche is the ugliest vehicle GM ever produced! This avocado thing is just as hideous....just in a smaller portion. :doublepuke:

The Avalanche is one of the best designs to ever come out of GM. I wish they still made them. Actually, they do, if you want an electric truck. But of you think the Avalanche is the worst thing GM ever did you've obviously never seen an Aztek.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
The Avalanche is one of the best designs to ever come out of GM. I wish they still made them. Actually, they do, if you want an electric truck. But of you think the Avalanche is the worst thing GM ever did you've obviously never seen an Aztek.
plastic cladding intensifies

R Carnella

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V2500
Engine Size
Either your bump stop for your rear leaf is missing or its a small tiny one lol
Hmmm, your right. How have i been looking right past that this hole time...new one's on the way lol

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
plastic cladding intensifies

It was great when they started offering them without the cladding... but that option was not available on the 2500, which is the one that interested me. If you could have got a 2500 without cladding, I literally would have bought a new one, no doubt about it. I was really close to saying fock it and get one with cladding, but just couldn't do it.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I just called Walter and told him of the blasphemy you blathered. He wasn’t happy.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Truth! Aztec easily in top 10 fugliest vehicles ever.
The plastic cladded Avys were ugly imo. But once they ditched the plastic they were fine.
The convenience of a removable rear window and bulkhead was never of any use to me and never will be. Although it was innovative and seems still popular as nice Avys fetch as much $ as CC pickups. Ida guessed 10-15 years ago, no one would want them by now and they’d be dirt cheap.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Truth! Aztec easily in top 10 fugliest vehicles ever.
The plastic cladded Avys were ugly imo. But once they ditched the plastic they were fine.
The convenience of a removable rear window and bulkhead was never of any use to me and never will be. Although it was innovative and seems still popular as nice Avys fetch as much $ as CC pickups. Ida guessed 10-15 years ago, no one would want them by now and they’d be dirt cheap.

The plastic cladding never bothered me, but you could order them with it deleted.

As far as the window and the mid-gate, it was far more useful for most people. Pickup trucks are fairly impractical vehicles unless you're hauling cargo frequently. So, the ability to have a five-passenger cabin that could still be converted to carry 8ft cargo for the few times most of us need a truck was a game changer. Particularly since you didn't have to deal with a mile-long vehicle like a crew-cab.

It's also WAY more useful than these half-@$$ed half-bed four-door things they call pickup trucks today. I'm really surprised that people didn't embrace the Avalanche far more than these overgrown sedans with a divorced trunk. Honestly, I don't think a lot of people knew about or understood the mid-gate. I had a few people talk about how useless the short bed was that were totally clueless that you could get 8 feet of plywood in it. Too bad. I still think it was one of the most innovative ideas any auto manufacturer ever had.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad