K10 suspension upgrades?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Normmus

Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
i wouldnt expect a stock a 3.08 truck to shutter unless your engine just wasnt running right or your rear end is yikes city
Sounds like a clutch issue, my 77 K10 would shudder when starting from a stop, when I first got it. I think it had sat for a while not being driven till I got it, maybe the flywheel had corrosion or something. It's fine now.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
Mines had throwout bearing issues since I got it. It squealed with the pedal pushed and it’s only gotten worse to the point it shakes in neutral at idle lol

Wallace6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I did not see any cat shields, my 87 does have it however under the cab. This truck has dual exhaust no cats with some thrush mufflers or something similar. The exhaust manifolds also don’t match one being a ram horn style and one being where it exits at the rear. I’m assuming the brackets off the frame with the holes are for the parking brake which is completely removed the pedal is there but goes straight to the floor first click and doesn’t return on it’s own. With how nasty the trans looks I couldn’t make it obviously to be this or that. My sm465’s have a pto plate off the side this one is so caked with filth I couldn’t see *****
Did you ever figure out the exhaust manifolds mine are the same way,rams horn d/s rear dump passenger. Anybody have a decent answer for this?
Thanks

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
@Wallace6 i don’t rememeber what the issue was but I have since sold the 81 flatbed, still having hydraulic clutch issues on the 87, and LS swapped the 78 K10. Found a set of 3.73 axles for the k10 just gotta figure out the parking brake cable setup and add a small lift for ~33” tires.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@Wallace6 i don’t rememeber what the issue was but I have since sold the 81 flatbed, still having hydraulic clutch issues on the 87, and LS swapped the 78 K10. Found a set of 3.73 axles for the k10 just gotta figure out the parking brake cable setup and add a small lift for ~33” tires.
Regarding the clutch issues, what is the current issue with the clutch? I vaguely remember the thread about it but something that comes to mind is a bad input shaft bearing on the trans will manifest itself in the clutch operation. You can have a brand new clutch, TO bearing and a bad input shaft bearing will make it hard to engage, shift etc. Just FYI as I went thru this myself recently.

Last edited:

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
@SquareRoot the hydraulic pedal in my 87? I’ve actually been driving it the last couple days since I broke some studs on my 78 when trying to replace the 2012 tires lol. But the pedal grabs at the very top, master and line were replaced and slave has been replaced twice, all within the last three years. I’ve put almost 6000 miles on it in three years lol. Best thing I can do to get the grab point lower is unbolt the slave and push it in and release maybe ten to fifteen times and it’ll be a little lower for a couple days. My seat is the whole way back, so with the engage point being so high my knee is middle of the steering wheel before it ever takes off. I also find myself getting into the throttle before completely off the clutch when shifting. When I first got the truck I replaced the slave and it took hours to bleed it, I later found out the line was on the slave backwards(I copied how it was previously) I finally got it to work fine for a few months until I broke the pressure plate(bent 3 of the fingers) had someone replace the clutch and it’s been **** ever since. I could barely drive the truck home. Bled the slave a little more it was fine for a while, hauled a trailer and my master went out, couldn’t get it into any gears, then the slave went out few months later left me at my ole lady’s’ parents house. Then as a last precaution I ordered a line from lmc and replaced it with the slave.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshuOne