Quadrabog bogs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
You need to watch those secondary air flaps when it's being reved. That carb needs attention.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
I adjusted them slightly looser.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
And here’s driving
I loosened it and felt no different so I kept loosening until it stopped closing on its own then tightened until it would close on its own. Only thing is it was closing on its own but it had just a little lacking from being 100% closed it was around 98.624% closed. Should I tighten it more? During the video you can see loosening it helped some maybe? But I still stalled the truck more than once.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
Also, yes I know my turn signal indicators are on when I’m on the brakes, the turn signal switch in the column is broken and the hazards are on so the relay has been unplugged. And yes I did start the truck in drive the second time it shut off. In the videos you can tell when I’m on the brakes and when the truck is just slowing down on its own

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
What kind of condition is the tank on that truck in? If the tank is rotting on the inside, then pieces of it will get sucked into the filter in the carb, and cause fuel starvation at higher speeds, due to heavily restricted flow.

This can happen with any carb, not just a Q jet. One downside to the Q jet design, is that you can't inspect the main filter without removing the fuel feed line. However, you can add another filter in front of it to give you an idea of how dirty your fuel system is.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
No idea on condition it looks great externally like it’s been replaced at some point and the sending unit doesn’t get a great connection either which is annoying. I’m not sure if there’s an inline filter or not, I’ll have to add one and check the qjet filter.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
Since I’ve got a long lunch today I’m gonna try to work on this truck. There is a smell of fuel at idle more noticeable when it’s smoking, yes it’s still smoking white at idle and blows a larger puff when you apply throttle but clears out as you continue with throttle.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
Alright so I thought I had the issue resolved but I’ve had the steering column apart for the past two weeks changing the turn signal switch. Finally got the truck back together and got new wheels and tires on it new radio all kinds of fancy smancy stuff. But it hardly had enough power to pull its self up the driveway in reverse. It was sputtering and stalled once. It blew some white smoke out of the exhaust when it fired right back up and smelled of fuel. I let it sit there and run until it got up to temp and the upper radiator hose was getting warm but was very very tight feeling. And then the truck cranked slow once I shut it off and tried to start it right back.
You must be registered for see images attach

Here’s a picture with the new wheels. I really though I about had this truck finished up. Got everything in the steering column working except the horn I apparently assembled the horn wrong it no longer works.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
Alright, I’m back on this because I need to have a backup vehicle ASAP. My 87 is down for frame damage and the steering gearbox skipping teeth, my 78 is ready to die any day now between the clutch issues and little oil pressure, I’m left needing something to drive. I went out and started this truck after sitting a month or so and drove it around the yard moved an 80’s k20 frame etc. I think I’ve got the no crank once got fixed but it’s still got a stumble if you get on it and stay on it, I’ve narrowed it down to very rich if you floor it. Could this be timing? The timing tab is bent over flat so I can’t really dial it in precisely. What further backs my theory is the white smoke and reek of fuel after. If you just get on it for a second it’ll rev up fine and keep pulling but if you stay on it say going up a hill it will stall out. It seems to start back without issue other than fuel smell and white smoke. I don’t know too awful lot on the quadrajet but I know I’m sticking with it to hopefully get some what fuel economy. I have a whole extra truck currently I want to swap the transfer case out of to get rid of this 203.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
Late response, I got lost in an ls swap. The ground strap goes from a valve cover bolt to the firewall instead of traditionally head to firewall, but it’s there and seemed fine condition. I’ve got the truck running pretty well, the ground was a little wet today and the truck spun all four fairly easy. I tried a couple 4wd launches lol. The truck only stalled once today I believe, and that was letting off throttle after having my foot through the firewall. The truck still smokes white at idle and it’s almost a little concerning. The truck doesn’t overheat but I also haven’t taken it on a real drive yet. Had it around 8 months and it’s never left the house.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
That wire from the valve cover to the firewall won't cut it.
It's gotta be head to firewall.
Automatic or manual tranny? All this white smoke and no power sounds like a busted vacuum modulator on an automatic.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
It’s a TH350, and I can move that ground strap to the head. This was my first automatic square spot I really don’t know a whole lot about what goes into them. I know there’s a lockdown cable ran to the carb but I’m not sure if there’s something else going to it? Lead me in the right direction? I know the trans seeps a little fluid from somewhere but I have no idea what I’m looking at other than the speedo cable and the shift linkage stuff. This is also my oldest truck currently. 1976 K10 350/350/203
Edit: also while I was tinkering on it today I hooked a vacuum gauge to it and it was barely in the “good engine” area on the gauge so like 16ish at idle. It wasn’t running awful with the gauge disconnected however now that I recall. Truck has 0 vacuum at idle at the ported vacuum, instantly goes into vacuum with throttle so I know the idle is set pretty well.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Like @Snoots said, white smoke could be trans fluid. Could also be antifreeze. Engine oil is usually light blue/white, but it can also look white. They all smell different. What is the smell of the white smoke?

You said you really haven't driven it much. Condensation in the exhaust (water) will also be white.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes