Quadrabog bogs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
Alright I’ve got another truck with you guessed it more problems. When I bought it I stalled the truck in the road at the guys house when I accelerated quickly, I assumed it was just because it was still cold. Nope, I had the truck up completely to temp today and it most definitely had less to do with it being cold. Truck is a 1976 k10 with a 350/350/203 combo. In neutral and in park the truck revs up fine other than a belt squeak at the quick throttle. I’m drive or reverse you pretty much have to slowly ease on the throttle or it isn’t having any of it. If I floor it you can bet it’ll stall. It’s a supposed freshly rebuilt quadrajet. I’m not sure what’s happening when you’re in gear that makes it big and stall since this is my first auto. It also bogs when under load, it won’t spin tires in loose gravel, it just spits and sputters. No obvious backfiring. The alternator doesn’t work as it should, at idle I don’t think it’s doing anything, wirh a little throttle it reads fine on the gauge.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Alternator doesn't work as it should? You could be losing voltage to the distributor.
It’s a supposed freshly rebuilt quadrajet. Supposed? I have my doubts.
@Paladin will tell you to get a Holley.
Check your vacuum advance & timing. Since it starts ok, I'd say the initial is fine.
Forgot to add, check the torque on your intake bolts; think vacuum leak.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
The carb looks great externally, but I have not taken anything apart yet, all I’ve done is change the heater core since it leaked. I don’t think it’s a vacuum leak since it starts up great and idles all day and even revs up in park or in neutral but reverse or drive is a different story. I guess I need to order a new timing light since I lost mine crazy right? I have several holleys I believe majority 600cfm, but they’re old and most definitely need rebuilt. With this truck being an automatic I was hoping for it to be the cruiser truck and get the best fuel mileage. Here ya go @Rusty Nail its a green metallic paint, this was when I first got it I’ve washed it and buffed on it a little now. It’s nice paint with horrible execution… so much orange peel, should’ve left it oxidized.

Attachments

• 7A21C4D9-10B5-455B-8198-67F8F0E9E5F4.jpeg
    7A21C4D9-10B5-455B-8198-67F8F0E9E5F4.jpeg
    171.8 KB · Views: 54

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Pics of the carb would help. Have you checked to see if the choke is pulling off when warmed? Have you checked to see if the accelerator pump is shooting properly? Is the secondary door spring tightened properly?

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
The carb looks great externally, but I have not taken anything apart yet, all I’ve done is change the heater core since it leaked. I don’t think it’s a vacuum leak since it starts up great and idles all day and even revs up in park or in neutral but reverse or drive is a different story. I guess I need to order a new timing light since I lost mine crazy right? I have several holleys I believe majority 600cfm, but they’re old and most definitely need rebuilt. With this truck being an automatic I was hoping for it to be the cruiser truck and get the best fuel mileage. Here ya go @Rusty Nail its a green metallic paint, this was when I first got it I’ve washed it and buffed on it a little now. It’s nice paint with horrible execution… so much orange peel, should’ve left it oxidized.
One thing is that the Q-jet is a relatively complicated carburetor to rebuild and if a guy isn't careful there could be issues. Sometimes exchange units like at parts stores aren't the best and well of course there could be a defective part inside.

My knee jerk reaction is an accelerator pump problem, but answer this question, if you push down slowly on the gas does it still bog?
Pics of the carb would help. Have you checked to see if the choke is pulling off when warmed? Have you checked to see if the accelerator pump is shooting properly? Is the secondary door spring tightened properly?
Agreed, check those things and shoot us some pics please, that would be helpful.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc

She's beautiful - you must be very proud.
:waytogo:

Pix of the carb please. :)
Come on dude youre not new anymore.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
Here’s some photos, everythint inside looks clean the accelerator pump shoots a steady stream, the secondaries shut nicely after pushing open with finger. And whoever mentioned the alternator, at idle it doesn’t show on the gauge it’s charging, off idle kt shows it’s charging.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
I get it I get it, I posted before I went to bed last night and then responded on my lunch today. I’m off work now and can get more photos. I don’t have service to save my life at work so I can’t even consider replying on here.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
You must be registered for see images attach

Since none of the photos are showing up from the first time, here’s the photos again. Engine view then primaries secondaries and each side of carb.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
Watched a few videos about the secondary air doors, mine seem to be operating properly unless it’s a very specific tension it needs. I can push it open with my finger and let go and they shut smoothly. They aren’t hard to press open but they also don’t just fall open.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Watched a few videos about the secondary air doors, mine seem to be operating properly unless it’s a very specific tension it needs. I can push it open with my finger and let go and they shut smoothly. They aren’t hard to press open but they also don’t just fall open.
They do have a very specific tension and just a slight bit of difference from that can make a big difference. Usually it is 7/8-1 turn.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
I figure these might be beneficial somehow
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
It always starts right back up, it does have a sight puff of smoke when it starts back(darker color) easing into it won’t stall it as quickly but it still doesn’t like full throttle.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
I can get a video of the current tension if that’ll be beneficial? Maybe a video of it opening while running?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rumpity_z28