Quadrabog bogs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
Both driveshafts feel stiff with no movement in any direction including rotating. I checked the oil again and it looks great little dark could probably use a change but it doesn’t look like a Reese milkshake. I didn’t see anything that looks like an obvious vacuum modulator but I didn’t look too hard since I’m going back to work. I’ll look more this evening when I get off. Thank you for the ideas, it’s had several of these issues since I got it but I blamed it on it being wet and cooler that day but with the normal weather now they’re kinda concerning now.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
The modulator looks similar to the vacuum advance cannister on the distributor. It's on the passenger side.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
I don’t know how relevant this is but the truck also doesn’t move in gear on its own it takes a fair bit of throttle to get rolling, it may be a trans issue or not running ideal or that I’ve just never had one of these trucks in automatic

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Both driveshafts feel stiff with no movement in any direction including rotating. I checked the oil again and it looks great little dark could probably use a change but it doesn’t look like a Reese milkshake. I didn’t see anything that looks like an obvious vacuum modulator but I didn’t look too hard since I’m going back to work. I’ll look more this evening when I get off. Thank you for the ideas, it’s had several of these issues since I got it but I blamed it on it being wet and cooler that day but with the normal weather now they’re kinda concerning now.
Did you have it in neutral when you tried rotating those drive shafts?

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
No it was in park the truck turned off and trans in park. No one specified if I needed to be in a certain gear and I was alone so I felt safer leaving it in park lol.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Looks to me that you need to change the intake manifold gasket.
Didjya even try to tighten the bolts?

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
What makes you think this truck needs an intake gasket? I can tighten them when I get off work but the truck runs smooth in neutral and park my only problems are in reverse and drive.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Its covered in oil Jay, i saw the pictures.
You cant fix cars like that..fix the oil leak and then see what the carburetor does? It may be fine, how much oil does the engine lose? Looks like a lot..
Big leak(s) , yep!

Wtf there is 5 pages of this thread now? I read the first one. Can see the choke capped off..

I used to have a "custom bent" U shaped hex key that was used to tighten the secondary bolt.
If thats what you call it - it faces down.

Last edited:

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
I can tighten them a little bit later on, I’m on lunch right now. I’m hoping they aren’t the torx bolts but I haven’t even looked. It leaks a healthy bit of oil but I’m starting to think that’s just common on these. There’s a sticker in the window dated back in 2020 that said next oil change at 55046, trucks sitting at 5270x so it’s had roughly 700 miles put on it in two years, the guy I got it from was someone that flips these trucks he never drove it much other than around the property. The title was still in previous owners name when I got it.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I thought oil dripped down because they got that gravity and stuff. Your engine has oil climbing up the intake runners..looks q ueer to me. :shrug:

You'll need a 9/16 combination wrench.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
Oh trust me oil is dripping from every low spot including the starter and the oil drain bolt. But I’m having a scenario similar to the 78 where oil going up and onto the intake manifold lol. Im gonna buy yet another timing light so I can see where this one is at and redo the intake gasket on the 78.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
There’s a high idle when you start the truck if you had to pump the throttle(if it’s been started within a couple days you don’t have to, but I pressed it to check accelerator pump and choke door shut) and the high idle kicks off with next throttle press.
Those are mechanical functions in the carb.

How do I go about making sure choke is functioning properly?
It's not.
Your choke heater tube (plugged hose with a screw) is missing parts and has been rendered non-functional.

I also make note that your plunger rod thingy is in the bottom hole.
Bet that's new.
And not likely to create any benefit - based solely on the pictures - the tune of your truck isn't up to that task. The bottom hole is for hotrods.

Wonder if this is how it got parked eh? Some good ol boy with a flathead messin with the Quadrajet drinkin beer.
Mmmhmmm.
Thats how those things happen.. Gonna "tune the carburetor" or "adjust the timing" kills many squarebody trucks because they need a gasket.

Too easy to fix - they are their own worst enemy, the trucks. Everybody has access to flathead screwdrivers these days. :( and beer.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Buying a new timing light aint gonna fix it. You'll have to remove the air horn to move the accelerator pump rod. Buy a fricking drain plug gasket and you'll render more aid to the truck than a timing light would.

Last edited:

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
I’m not too familiar with quadrajet vacuum hose routing, where should it be ran to and what’s missing? I’ll replace what’s missing yo keep this truck going how it’s meant to run. Also what gear do I need to be in for testing the ujoints

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
This is temperature controlled.
Your choke heater tube (plugged hose with a screw) is missing parts and has been rendered non-functional.
No, only 78-80 got the hot air choke. This is a 76 and it has the choke thermostat screwed into the intake manifold. You can see it clearly in Post #11.

That plugged hose there probably went up to the EFE or the thermostatic valve on the air cleaner.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I’m not too familiar with quadrajet vacuum hose routing, where should it be ran to and what’s missing? I’ll replace what’s missing yo keep this truck going how it’s meant to run. Also what gear do I need to be in for testing the ujoints
You aren't missing anything other than the air cleaner. That is exactly what the early truck choke system looked like. Rusty is just getting it confused with the hot air choke system, which you don't have.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
capickering