New Process A833 4speed w/ OD MY6 MM7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So to get the Round 86 up NP205 to bolt to this trans, I'll need this:
attachment.php

To look like this: (This being a pic of an adapter off of a Th400 to round NP205)
attachment.php

Attachments

• NP205RoundtoTh400.jpg
    NP205RoundtoTh400.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 449
Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Just another note for those of you looking for one of these. I read tonight, it's avaible in Chevy half ton vans too up to 87. This guy says since 75 but I say not likely, but I bet it was earlier than the trucks. Reason being, think of the shfiter location. With the Hurst Shifter, the stick lands next to the driver. Could be false too. I've seen step vans and the shifter stick comes from behind the driver seat and leans forward to the driver. At any rate, check Vans too.

inbowhunter713

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Is that the same as this kit? Seems there is a difference in the Aluminum case kit and the Cast Iron case kit. To do with the long pin.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-Truck-Tr...ps=63&clkid=662808438544447877&_qi=RTM1062691

Yea it sure is. From what ive gathered they dont sell kits with a new countershaft for aluminum cased trannys. Ive only seen kits with the 10 5/8 shafts for iron cases. Its small in the description but the part # is bk130-ws. Ive looked that up and its a company called atc-pro king that makes them. They even pop up on autozones website. They sell the kits for this trans at AZ but theyre the base kits with just bearings and seals. I believe its drivetrain.com that also sells the kits. Ive found about 3 or 4 companies that still have a few of these trans fully rebuilt sitting on their shelves! Good to know if you ever grenade it you can get a fully rebuilt unit with a warranty. Since you lucked out and got the shifter which is next to impossible to locate unless you get lucky and find both trans and shifter together the hardest part is over for ya! When you start tearing yours down to freshen her up need to make up a rebuild thread! Nothing is more intimidating to me than a trans rebuild lol. For only 26 years old Im pretty mechanically inclined but those things scare me! Been trying to locate an old service manual for these without much luck even though im sure a guy could use one for the Mopar variations. My trans i know needs new needles on the countershaft. Has a little growl in all gears but 3rd, which is direct drive. All other gears run through the cluster gears. From receipts I have it had a new clutch and pressure plate put in about 35,000 miles back so ill prolly just slap a new throwout bearing and crank bushing in it when I rebuild. Ok early morning insomnia rant over. Time to head to work!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yea it sure is. From what ive gathered they dont sell kits with a new countershaft for aluminum cased trannys. Ive only seen kits with the 10 5/8 shafts for iron cases. Its small in the description but the part # is bk130-ws. Ive looked that up and its a company called atc-pro king that makes them. They even pop up on autozones website. They sell the kits for this trans at AZ but theyre the base kits with just bearings and seals. I believe its drivetrain.com that also sells the kits. Ive found about 3 or 4 companies that still have a few of these trans fully rebuilt sitting on their shelves! Good to know if you ever grenade it you can get a fully rebuilt unit with a warranty. Since you lucked out and got the shifter which is next to impossible to locate unless you get lucky and find both trans and shifter together the hardest part is over for ya! When you start tearing yours down to freshen her up need to make up a rebuild thread! Nothing is more intimidating to me than a trans rebuild lol. For only 26 years old Im pretty mechanically inclined but those things scare me! Been trying to locate an old service manual for these without much luck even though im sure a guy could use one for the Mopar variations. My trans i know needs new needles on the countershaft. Has a little growl in all gears but 3rd, which is direct drive. All other gears run through the cluster gears. From receipts I have it had a new clutch and pressure plate put in about 35,000 miles back so ill prolly just slap a new throwout bearing and crank bushing in it when I rebuild. Ok early morning insomnia rant over. Time to head to work!

I'll let you in on a little secret. The issue you describe with the growl but it goes way in 3rd gear, being the 1 to 1 ratio, it's not the throwout bearing, but replace that anyway when you got the trans out, and maybe even a whole new clutch depending on the age of it just for GP, but it's not needle bearings in the countershaft either. You can do this is a few minutes. It's the input shaft bearing. Pull the front nose cone, pull the input shaft, replace the bearing, put it back together and the growl will gone. I knew that, when you said 3rd gear, or the 1 to 1 gear. Very common and that's how you diagnose that. If the noise goes away in your 1 to 1 ratio, its the input shaft bearing.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

inbowhunter713

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'll let you in on a little secret. The issue you describe with the growl but it goes way in 3rd gear, being the 1 to 1 ratio, it's not the throwout bearing, but replace that anyway when you got the trans out, and maybe even a whole new clutch depending on the age of it just for GP, but it's not needle bearings in the countershaft either. You can do this is a few minutes. It's the input shaft bearing. Pull the front nose cone, pull the input shaft, replace the bearing, put it back together and the growl will gone. I knew that, when you said 3rd gear, or the 1 to 1 gear. Very common and that's how you diagnose that. If the noise goes away in your 1 to 1 ratio, its the input shaft bearing.

Thanks! I already have the kit and the trans has 150k and grinds a little on a fast shift into 3rd so it needs a freshening up! Good to know about the input bearing though..thanks for that info HRPC

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
i had a buddy that had this transmission in a 82 dodge slant six he blew it up.
he was always dumping the clutch and spinning the tires he beat it up pretty bad before it blew.

i was going to say just get the short 205 input from ord looks like you already found it

i put a nv4500 208 in my 85 truck using all stock gm parts no aftermarket parts

i used a 208 off a 465 and the 94 truck bell housing and clutch hydrolics and i have a round pattern 205 off a 465 that i need to get the short input for then it will be a bolt on swap

the 205 on a nv4500 is just the same as what you have to do for this tranny grind for the shifter rail,short input swap and build a shifter mount

and ord makes really nice parts i have the 203/205 doubler and triple stick shifters and the dana 60 cross over high steer kit i have bought alot from them very pleased with everything i have got from them.

Last edited:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
You know I was reading about the NP205 female input shaft for the TH400 on ORD's site, says the case must be machined for the larger input bearing. I'm not so sure you would have to do this. We have a place around here called Applied Industrial Solutions (formerly Bearings, Inc if you can see where I'm going) if you give them the overall outside diameter of the stock bearing and the OD of the input shaft where the bearing rides, as well as the thickness of the bearing races, I bet they can hook you up with a bearing that would fit and you wouldn't have to pay to have your case machined out. It would be worth checking into in my book.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You only have to do that maching for the bigger bearing if you're converting one from a 27 spline shaft to the 32 spline shaft. The Round Pattern Tcase for a Th400 will only need to have the short short female input shaft swapped into it if I don't cut the shaft off in the trans. I'm now leaning more toward the short shaft swap.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Just another note for those of you looking for one of these. I read tonight, it's avaible in Chevy half ton vans too up to 87. This guy says since 75 but I say not likely, but I bet it was earlier than the trucks. Reason being, think of the shfiter location. With the Hurst Shifter, the stick lands next to the driver. Could be false too. I've seen step vans and the shifter stick comes from behind the driver seat and leans forward to the driver. At any rate, check Vans too.

Hmm. Were the van units cast iron? I pulled what I thought was a cast iron 3 speed from an '87 short van, maybe it was actually the 4 speed.

If I don't cut the output shaft, here's the gear I'd need for the round NP205 when I find it. Notice it does say, after 85, which 86 is the round untis, GM standardized to the long one. I need the short if I don't cut the trans output shaft.
$246 at Advance Adapters
http://www.advanceadapters.com/products/32-spline-np205-input-gear--bearing/

$135 at Off-Road Design
http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/transfercaseparts.htm

I was going to say, there's no need to buy an entire t-case to get the correct input.

...and son of a bitch! Why couldn't they have had that input and bearing kit a few years ago?! Would have saved me a bit of trouble.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Still being patient on this project keeping eyes open for an NP208 or NP205 that I can rock with it. Still have to find clutch and brake pedals too, so no hurry. I'd also like to rebuild the trans with a new counter shaft, new bearings, new synchros and gaskets. Kinda thinking about a hipo clutch too, but also thinking for 4x4ing, and not drag racing, OEM clutch should be fine. I also want to rebuild the OEM Hurst shfiter. I can send the shifter back to Hurst and they make it like new again for $300. I figured to hell with that, I can buy a new Hurst Competition Plus shifter for that, which is very similar to what I have on this trans OEM, just that the Aftermarket Hurst Comp Plus has adjustable stops for the gates and a bolt on removeable shift stick feature for changing out the stick for different vehicles. I think I found a place I can get a rebuild kit for this shifter for $100, and I'll likely do that, AFTER I get it all installed and working properly and make sure I can use my old stick. I might hit the dash in a square.
attachment.php

Which brings me to the purpose of this post. When rebuilding this OEM shifter, I do hope to be able to retrofit the shifter with the Comp Plus type bolt on shift stick assembly where as now it's a fixed type that uses roll pins and isn't really intended for the OEM stick to come out of it. But, I went digging deep into the shed today and thinking I did save my T handle from my old race days with the M21 and M22 for a keepsake. BAMM !!! I found it. And then I remember, when I sold that shifter, the guy was putting it in a Nova, and I had a Indy short stick I gave him with the shifter and I kept my shift stick too. So I actually have the stick and the T handle from my race days in the 80's and early 90's. Guys, I'm telling you, if this thing could take, the stories it could tell. From racing to women, it wouldn't shut up for a month telling stories. I think it would be awesome to be able to use this on this transmission if and when I get it running. It still won't be the same as my Muncies, but it'll be nice nonetheless and bring back many many fun memories. It's a bit scratched up from heavy use, but I'm gonna polish the stick and get it nice looking again. Not gonna polish the brushed aluminum T handle to a shine, I want it left the way I used it, just gonna clean it up.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• HurstCompPlus 001.jpg
    HurstCompPlus 001.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 369
  • HurstCompPlus 002.jpg
    HurstCompPlus 002.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 379
  • HurstCompPlus 004.jpg
    HurstCompPlus 004.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 393
Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I wasn't able to get that NP205 Round Pattern I had hoped for this weekend. Still on the hunt for one. Also waiting to see if our new guy is going to have a 32 spline input for an NP208 left over after his Tcase repair. Hope to buy that from him and at least get one of my NP208's converted while I wait for a round NP205.

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
i have a 32 spline 208 from a 400 but shipping would be way to much.

you said you could get the 208 from the guy you got the transmission from for 75 bucks if i remember right. i would go to him and offer him 50 bucks for it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400