New Process A833 4speed w/ OD MY6 MM7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I dont know what kind of wrench this might throw into the mix but dont forget about the NP203 rangebox/stacked on a 205. What would that be, 4 or 5:1 low range?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm not big into crawl ratio, just so long as I have some crawl ratio. 27+ crawl ratio will be plenty for me if I get this combo put together. Seems I actually have most of it already. I will have to locate a 86 or newer NP205 with the Round pattern to work on this trans though. I find that and get it married to this A833, it's on like Donkey Kong. Then I'd also have to get 4.56 front gear for that air locker and 8 lug conversion. Other than the clutch pedal linkage that should be all I need to do this deal. I do beleive I'm also going to Twin Stick the 205 too from the research I've done. If it all works like I've figured out, it'll be about exactly what I want. Only thing I'd forsee wanting to do way downline or if it fell in my lap, is a D60 front install. But I'm not even really concerned about that. I've got 2 spare 10 bolts fronts, and I do expect to break parts, but I"ll have them handy. Just hoping that whatever breaks isn't the carrier or the gears and all will be well.

Last edited:

JEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'm curious about why you choose this trans. Is it because its rare and you find it cool or because of something else? It just seems to me a NV4500 would be better. I aint haitin i'm just curious as to the Pros and Cons of this trans.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm curious about why you choose this trans. Is it because its rare and you find it cool or because of something else? It just seems to me a NV4500 would be better. I aint haitin i'm just curious as to the Pros and Cons of this trans.

Cast iron heavy dutyness, and overdrive!

All of the above of both of your responses. It is RARE, it is COOL, Cast Iron, Heavier Duty than most think, and the Overdrive for sure. Also, The Hurst Shifter and being a side loader. You can't shift a top loader like you can a side a loader with the right shfter, and one other big factor, the price it can be done for. By the time I bought an NV4500 and all the adapters, I'd have a fortune spent. I am going to do this will ALL OEM bolt in parts. I'm now in the market for a Circle pattern NP205 for SM465 or Th400 from an 86 or newer truck. I have found a Th400 NP205 I'm sure I could have, but it's a racetrack pattern.

JEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That makes sense. I like a trans i can shift quick. How would this do as far as offroad use? I know first isn't as low but would it work in 4-lo with a low enough rear gear? aint tryin to jack just find this appealing as well.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
This chart shows the basic speed differences between the SM465 and the A-833...

attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 420

JEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Well that aint bad. I have a 208 behind a 465 right now and was eventually considering a NV4500...but if i could find one of these and it bolts right in place of the 465 and keep my bellhousing and clutch id be loving life. i just read through this whole thread again and am more interested than ever!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That makes sense. I like a trans i can shift quick. How would this do as far as offroad use? I know first isn't as low but would it work in 4-lo with a low enough rear gear? aint tryin to jack just find this appealing as well.

It's not low as an SM465, but it does have a 3.09 first gear, which is deeper than a Th350 or Th400. I'm sure it's gonna have enough low in 4 Low for what I'd be doing, and it appears I'll be using my 4.56 14 bolt full float rear end. All in all, I thnk it's going to be a good combo for me. I'm not a rock crawler, not going to be doing mud bogs, although it'll see some mud. I hope to be going out the River Beds here and doing some wheeling. It's fairly mild terrain, a bit chopped up, with some good hill climbs and reveens.

inbowhunter713

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Here are some quick pics i snapped of the a833 in my 84. PO also kept all receipts and documentation from 1984, window sticker, order form with options ordered. Still has the jack and rpo sticker on the inner fender!
You must be registered for see images

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by a moderator:

JEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I actually just got my axles regeared with 4.56s so i am very interested in seeing how this all works for you. I will definately see if i can find one of these bad boys

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Someone just hit me up in email and they have a black nice looking 84 shortbed with this trans and an NP208. Seems they are possibly going to be selling it soon. I've told him to be sure to post it here. Not sure what he needs out of it.

EDIT: As a matter of fact now he posted in the thread. Thank God I was able to edit those pic tags and stack them up. LOL. That is so cool when you have original sticker and original purchase order on a truck.

Last edited:

JEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Damn wish i had the money...

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
This chart shows the basic speed differences between the SM465 and the A-833...

attachment.php

I've got speed/rpm calculators, but I don't have that chart format C4. Can I get you to do another one just like that, but with 4.56 gears? :High 5:

This chart is pretty cool, although a bit misleading. You have to consider 2nd gear of the SM465 is actually 1st on the A833, then 4th on the SM465 is actually 3rd on the A833. I still like both transmission, and think NV4500 is a great trans too, but for the money I stole this trans for, and it came with the Hurst Shifter already mounted I couldn't beat it. I'd like to have just kept the 700r4, but I don't have faith in it over the long haul of taking abuse, and I'd prefer a manual trans for off-roading anyway, always have. I've always been a through and through manual trans guy, but go figure, I can build automatics for dirt cheap and they are a dime a dozen and easy to find as cores. I truely miss my M22 transmission shifting days, and this trans other than the ratios being wider, it fits the bill, and being a side quick shifting Hurst shifter, and the facts it's an OEM option, it all comes together to be a great project and I'm dying to get it together. The other thing is, since plans now changed just to go NP205, and make it my stornger 4x4 with the 3/4 ton axles truck, I'm not going to be as concerned about cosmetics on this build. As long as it looks sanitary, I'm good, becasue I expect it get scratched up and dinged up, and maybe even dented up.

I also know I'm going to take some ridicule over this project and some negative opinions, but that's OK too. I've seen comments on other forums another guy was stupid for doing this, this trans is a POS and weak, and the same with "you're stupid for doing that, do the NV4500" I'll be ready for it. And NO, that's not on this forum. Here, everyone respects everyone's opinion whether you agree or not. BUT, I'll assure you, I'm going to find out if it's weak or not. I don't know of anyone that can put as much abuse on a side shifted loader than I can, and I'm looking forward to it. I won't be drag racing this one, so it won't get the severe abuse, but it'll sure get moderate abuse. One of the links earlier in this thread shows a guy putting one of these in the aluminum form, not even the cast iron form, into a 65 Impalla and abusing the hell out of it and didn't hurt it. The truck 4x4 Unit is Cast iron, not aluminim and has a bigger output shaft than the 2wd drive unit too, so it's even stronger than the unit he abused.

Last edited:

JEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Well from all the info you've posted here im pretty confident in it and cant wait to get my hands on one myself. So i say rock it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes