New Process A833 4speed w/ OD MY6 MM7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm wondering if one of the others of the Big 3 had circle pattern NP205s. If nothing else the 2WD could be divorced, but then you got the aluminum case. :shitsweak: I would want this for a more street-friendly truck like dad's. And the wide ratio wouldnt scare me much, you still got low range in a 4x4! :cheers:

That's what I'm thinking I going to do with this one. I think it's going in the 85 GMC K1500 which I'm keeping that Detroit Locker rear, and the front 4.10 ARB air locker, with the 31 inch tires, and when those wear out, I intend to step to 33inch and call it good. Should be a great street combo. Since the K1500 has 3.73's in it now, I'd have to buy 4.10 rear gears first and set the rear end up with the Detroit Locker, then I can install the complete ready to roll ARB Air Locker front axle. It'll still be 10 bolts so I'll leave it street friendly and try to get good mpg out of it, and not tear up the trans, tcase or axles. I'm sure it will hold up to a little abuse with the 4.10's and keeping the tires small.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I've heard they aren't as strong as the one's that came behind the old 426's. Something about how they flipped 3rd and 4th around in the truck transmission. But, that is based purely on what I've heard from old timer's and internet speculation, and not personal experience.

I would still love to have one either way. I figure you're going to beat on 1st and 2nd the most anyway.

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
So what you discovered is the if someone has a granny low 4spd (SM465 I think) and finds on of these A-833 OD 4spds its basically a direct swap? Reason I ask is Ive looked over quite a few squares in the past because they had the SM465 in them and didnt want to mess with an auto swap.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I've heard they aren't as strong as the one's that came behind the old 426's. Something about how they flipped 3rd and 4th around in the truck transmission. But, that is based purely on what I've heard from old timer's and internet speculation, and not personal experience.

I would still love to have one either way. I figure you're going to beat on 1st and 2nd the most anyway.

To the best of my knowledge the Dodges are the same as far as the 3 and 4 go. That is how they got the overdrive out of the transmisison, was flipped 3rd and 4th even back in the 60's for the Dodges. It's true, the 2wd aluminum case isn't near as strong as the Dodge units in the 60's, so you need to get a Cast Iron one for stregth is what I read. Honestly, I don't see how the aluminum one was much weaker. My Muncies were aluminum housings and I beat the living **** out those transmissions and I broke axles, carriers, spiders, carrier bearings, u-joints, driveshafts even. I spun the welded u joint portion right off the driveshaft before and never broke the tranmissions until I finally broke a cluster gear, and I supposed that happened from severe wear and I should have rebuilt the thing and put some new bearings in it and I think that would have been avoided.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So what you discovered is the if someone has a granny low 4spd (SM465 I think) and finds on of these A-833 OD 4spds its basically a direct swap? Reason I ask is Ive looked over quite a few squares in the past because they had the SM465 in them and didnt want to mess with an auto swap.

(EDIT= I meant to post this in the other A833 thread.)

Almost that easy, but not quite. Yes, as far as the bellhousing and clutch go yes it will bolt up, at least in the 85 Bellhousing I had it does. Driveshaft length will need to be modified, and shifter will come in the floor at a different spot.

Now for 4wd, then you'd have to have an NP208 off of a 700r4 trans since this transmission's output shaft is like that of a Th350. Not sure of the SM465s that come with NP205 have the same output splines, so that woudl have the be looked into. Then of course the driveshaft lengths will be different too. I sure wish I had an SM465, it would make my swap so much easier. Steering Column, pedals and clutch linkage would already be there. And who the hell knows, I might just wait and do that too. :shrug: I have so many parts and ideas, I can 't keep plans for long and some other part comes along and I change plans.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hmm, I didn't realize they came with O/D in the Dodge's. I do remember now, they were saying it's weak cause it's an aluminum case. I argued for awhile that my brother's was cast iron, but you know how arguing on the internet goes.

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
Does the A833 require the high hump floor of a 4wd or a 2wd with the sm465?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Does the A833 require the high hump floor of a 4wd or a 2wd with the sm465?

I'd say noway. This unit looks to be no bigger than a 700r4. Actually probably smaller. Now in a 4wd model, I'm sure you'd still need room for the Tcase, but maybe not if this this trans puts the Tcase further back into the hump, like under the seat. I'm still wondering on the length, cuz if that is true, then I'll need to extend my shift rod on the NP208 shifter. I still have quite a bit of more info to gather on this.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You are one lucky SOB! Now you've got two things that I REALLY want, this tranny and that 4.56 detroit rear.

Hey, you're gettin' kinda old... you got a will yet?

:Moon:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You are one lucky SOB! Now you've got two things that I REALLY want, this tranny and that 4.56 detroit rear.

Hey, you're gettin' kinda old... you got a will yet?

:Moon:
Send pics of the wife, we'll see if we can work a trade. How's her cookin and cleanin skills???
Yup, always got a keep an eye open for the deals and ROMP on it when you can. I started calling that guy today at 7:30, didn't get no answer, thought I"d better wait til at least 8am. Got it for $75 with the crossmember and dshaft. I paid $150 for the CUCV 4.56 Detroit Locker axle that had already been converted to rear disks. While out there he's the guy I bought the 3/4 2wd Burb with no motor or trans for $50 and sold it for $600. Just gotta, watch, look and listen. Everyone that knows me locally and my family know I buy these Squarebody trucks and parts. So they send me sellers and buyers. It works.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I know all about pouncing on CL, I've just never been lucky enough to find that 4 speed.

So is the center opening on your bellhousing bigger than the bearing retainer on the 4 speed? Or is it the same size as the 465?

One other thing to note, I'm almost positive that the mechanical bellhousing doesn't have the dual bolt pattern that would be needed for this 4 speed.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I know all about pouncing on CL, I've just never been lucky enough to find that 4 speed.

So is the center opening on your bellhousing bigger than the bearing retainer on the 4 speed? Or is it the same size as the 465?

One other thing to note, I'm almost positive that the mechanical bellhousing doesn't have the dual bolt pattern that would be needed for this 4 speed.

Yeah, I got lucky on this deal like I have many by being quick. Couldn't afford it either but I wasn't passing it up.
Same as the SM465. The bell housing fits like a glove in all areas. I was thinking the same thing about the mechanical bellhousing and another reason I just talked myself into likeing the Hydro clutch and calling it good.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
This is a fantastic article and lots of history on this transmission. This was alot of my research.

http://www.customclassictrucks.com/...our_speed_overdrive_transmission/viewall.html

Another Good Article. Make sure you read the end of this article where he talks about how strong it is. And he had the aluminum case version, not the cast.

http://www.classicjunkyard.com/new_process_a833.htm

Here is a thread discusssion about them. As you can tell, there is someone who don't know what they are talking about, when they said they were in GM cars. No, they never were. I've read nothing of that sort.

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/268778/

Another Thread A833 discusssion. Very minor detail. No biggie to skip this one.
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162334&goto=nextnewest

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Sumbish !!! Look here bucket. Manual Z bar linkage bell housing for this trans and it's dual pattern !!!
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Well Gentlemens, this sorta seems to get better and better the more I look it over, and the more measurements I take.
So we already know it's almost identical to 700r4 Gear Ratios. We also know it bolts up to blocks, clutches and bellhousings of SM465. So is it better to make this conversion on a truck that is already set up for SM465? I don't know the measurements of an SM465 from the front of the bellhousing to the end of the adapter, so I don't know that. I also don't think the SM465 NP208 transfer case has the same spline count, so on an SM465 conversion you're likely to have to cut your driveshafts, and also get a NP208 off of a 700r4 Trans. Granted, the SM465 truck also has the correct steering column for manual trans.

But, what I'm figuring out, is the best swap for this trans in a 4x4 form, is to have a 700r4/NP208 Combo, or even up to 700r4/NP241C Combo since the NP241C and NP208 Interchange. I just went and measure the A833 with the bellhosing in place, to the end of the trans adapter that the Tcase will mount to. I used a straight edge to get as accurate as I could. It's 26 1/2 inches. I go out back and measure the 700r4/NP208 combo that was set to go into the K1500, and from bellhousing to case and to the end of the adapter, it's 26 1/2 inches using a straight edge to be as close to accurate as I can. This would mean, the OEM driveshafts from a 700r4/NP208 combo will aslo work. Essentially, to make this swap, all I have to do is add clutch pedals and clutch, bolt it all in, hook it all back up and rock it !!! Not exactly sure what I"m going to do about the steering colum yet. I might just change the sleeve, so it's an easy back to 700r4 again.
This is what I loved about my 64 GMC. From Th350 to Muncie M21 or M22, was all bolts and shifter change, that was it. I could be a neck snappin Th350 to a Muncie M22 with a Hurst Comp Plus shifter in a matter of 2 - 2 1/2 hours. Appears this will be close to the same deal. No fabbing, No cutting driveshafts, none of that BS.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timk