Need ideas for a modern steering wheel.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
yep, that's what I have! my burb was equipped with just about every option, so it is not surprising that the wheel was an option.

I've always loved the 4 spoke wheel, it has a tiny bit of aftermarket style but it's still OE.

Lugnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
1979, 1986
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
'79) 350/ granny 4-speed, '86) 350/A833 3-speed with overdrive
You must be registered for see images attach

I installed one of these comfort grip wheels on mine about a month ago and so far I love it. If I remember right it was about $200 with the adapter kit and horn button. Very easy to install and horn works great.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've heard those are not good in extreme heat. I like the Grant wheel idea, though. I had to get wheelskins for my Cherokee because the holes in the leather, after years of sweat, would ooze black turds of sticky nasty sweat-dirt things. No amount of cleaning would get that out. The wheelskin covered it up, looks factory, and cleans easily. For a classic truck or car, it's hard to beat a GT steering wheel.

I had a really old Grant wheel of some kind. I hand sanded and refinished the wood, it was fine in the heat. I also had a later model Grant spoked wheel with a glossy mahogany rim... that thing was super sweaty in the summer heat.

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
I bought a Forever Sharp black Friday for like $50 and the burned wood ring for it. Everyone in the car scene I know drives with a folded towel once they go to a custom steering wheel. Whether because they're hot, slippery, billet, leather - any reason really, so I just assumed I'd be doing the same when mine is installed lol.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Well, I guess I was lazy. I didn't realize that Grant was still a player and has a vast selection of wheels. I knew what I sort of wanted in my head beforehand but didn't know my options. My molasses covered OEM wheel is 15" diameter. I don't really want a spongy, grippy wheel. I like the smooth hard feel and the look of craftsmanship rather than the typical mass produced look.
I also like the artesian look blended with a precision machined look. Due to the fact I reside in the desert SW where it often feels like the surface of the sun, the heat and sweat from my hands take its toll on the wheels surface. I want something easy to keep clean. With all that said, I'm really liking this 14", riveted, wood wheel with finger grooves. Now I think it will look just fine in my squarebody? As for modern, I think it will be right a home with the Dakota Gauges, Vintage Air A/C and DIN CD player.

I have a riveted wood wheel with a groove from forever sharp. Looks great, sucks to drive long distance with. The rivet indentations an the groove make your hands tender an you can't get away from them because they are to close together. Anything over an hour is rough. Just some info if you take longer trips in it. Personally I'm eventually going back to my 88-94 wheel when I decide to work on that truck again lol

I bought a Forever Sharp black Friday for like $50 and the burned wood ring for it. Everyone in the car scene I know drives with a folded towel once they go to a custom steering wheel. Whether because they're hot, slippery, billet, leather - any reason really, so I just assumed I'd be doing the same when mine is installed lol.

I've never used a towel on mine, it does get cold in the winter but it's never gotten so hot I couldn't handle it in the summer. I don't understand why people do that, unless the polished ones are different. I sold a bunch of FS muscle wheels, both polished an black an never had a complaint about them temperature wise.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I had a really old Grant wheel of some kind. I hand sanded and refinished the wood, it was fine in the heat. I also had a later model Grant spoked wheel with a glossy mahogany rim... that thing was super sweaty in the summer heat.
I've heard it's the metal, not the wood. I've always liked the look of those steering wheels, but never wanted one because of the hot metal.

tadslc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size

I installed one of these comfort grip wheels on mine about a month ago and so far I love it. If I remember right it was about $200 with the adapter kit and horn button. Very easy to install and horn works great.
Looks great!

Grant? Diameter and Dish?

Tad

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@Old77 for the win! Thank you sir for the mention of Forever Sharp! I had never heard of them. I found exactly what I am looking for and then some. I was not aware of the "halfwrap" design that exists. That's a perfect solution to be able to customize and refresh a wheel. After finding the wheel I wanted I was stumbling around their website and saw the door handles they have. Turns out I have been wanting those as well. Even better, they match and compliment the steering wheel. My factory ones are annoying because the knob rattles on the crank (no pun intended) when the stereo is booming and it drives me nuts. So there you have it. When I get it all installed I'll post some pics. Thanks everyone for the input, I learned a lot.

Attachments

• Forever Sharp Wheel.PNG
    Forever Sharp Wheel.PNG
    357.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Door handles.PNG
    Door handles.PNG
    221.3 KB · Views: 42

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Square Root...since you are in AZ, I'd rethink that metal steering wheel if you park outside or drive during the summer.

I have a Forever Sharp on my C10 but am reluctant to put anything metal on the C30 as it is going to be parked outside and will be too hot in Phoenix. On our S10, the key switch has a lever to remove and it gets so hot, it burns your skin. I had a GPS mount melt earlier this month and we had a Whataburger table tent melt on the dash over the weekend. Can't even put coins in the console during the summer as they'll burn your leg when you put them in your pocket.

Last edited:

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
... saw the door handles they have. Turns out I have been wanting those as well. Even better, they match and compliment the steering wheel. My factory ones are annoying because the knob rattles on the crank (no pun intended) when the stereo is booming and it drives me nuts...
I haven't had the best of luck with a lot of aftermarket cranks either. The knobs are too small and you have to pinch them and if a regulator gives resistance, you'll end up grabbing the whole thing.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Square Root...since you are in AZ, I'd rethink that metal steering wheel if I was you.

I have a Forever Sharp on my C10 but am reluctant to put anything metal on the C30 as it is going to be parked outside and will be too hot in Phoenix. On our S10, the key switch has a lever to remove and it gets so hot, it burns your skin. I had a GPS mount melt earlier this month and we had a Whataburger table tent melt on the dash over the weekend. Can't even put coins in the console during the summer as they'll burn your leg when you put them in your pocket.
I don't drive holding the spokes. Cant see how the leather wrap on the wood could be an issue? The aluminum rivets are a non issue. You make a good point on the window cranks, I'll give that further consideration. I agree with you on the other hazards of living on the face of the sun. We had a new employee move here from back East a few years ago. Being an engineer meant he lacked common sense as usual. One day at lunchtime he walked out to his car to retrieve his metal framed reading glasses of the console. Put them on and they stuck to his face. Fool danced around in shock like peewee Herman for 5 minutes. 3 days later he resigned and moved back east.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I don't drive holding the spokes. Cant see how the leather wrap on the wood could be an issue? The aluminum rivets are a non issue. You make a good point on the window cranks, I'll give that further consideration. I agree with you on the other hazards of living on the face of the sun. We had a new employee move here from back East a few years ago. Being an engineer meant he lacked common sense as usual. One day at lunchtime he walked out to his car to retrieve his metal framed reading glasses of the console. Put them on and they stuck to his face. Fool danced around in shock like peewee Herman for 5 minutes. 3 days later he resigned and moved back east.
Isn't the back of the wheel metal though?

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
This is the one my grandmother put on her towncar. She really likes it alot. I guess the chain helps her grip with her arthritis.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Isn't the back of the wheel metal though?
Well, you make a good point. I can't tell from the photos. I was researching half wrap wheels and saw some youtube videos that showed them as having two pieces, the back piece with finger grooves. It wasn't metal. I guess I need to keep researching or call them and ask.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag